House Passes GOP Health Care Bill

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Mr. Cornute, May 4, 2017.

1. Mr. Cornute

Mr. Cornute Prince of Saiyan...stuff.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/04/526866090/house-passes-gop-health-care-bill

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  2. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

They're banking on the Senate saving them from actually having it become law.

Cat--Smasher and Mr. Cornute like this.
  3. Mr. Cornute

I believe that's the case. Regardless this is going to be cannon fodder during mid terms. Problem is though the Dems are rather fractured right now and are absolutely talented in not being able to win fights that all they need to do is land the last punch on.

Plus with Bernie still going on about switching to a single payer system and suggesting Dems legislatively push for it only shows how tone deaf he is. Dems, who hold NO majorities in either legislative body AND do not currently hold the executive branch it makes absolutely no political sense to continue to bluster about something you don't even have the groundwork for.

Would I like to see a single payer system in the United States? Sure. Is it going to happen overnight? Nope. Is it going to happen within the next couple of mid terms? Nope. While I used to like Bernie more and more I look at him as a slightly more credible Jill Stein due to the fact that legislatively they lay absolutely no groundwork to make anything happen BUT continue to tear down those who at the very least agree with them on 70% AND actually DO try to legislatively make something happen. Is it perfect? No. But at this moment it is feasible and that is the groundwork you have to lay before you plate the streets gold.

That said, the hurdle of the Senate is a high one because they know mid terms will be extremely tough next year if this passes and then it turns out to be shit for their constituents, because it likely will. AND it will be a tough sell to say "It's the Dems fault" when they legislatively made this happen.

Cat--Smasher and jokerthief like this.
  4. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

Does the Senate have enough votes though?

Mr. Cornute likes this.
  5. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

I've been out of the loop for a while now. Is the filibuster dead?

6. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

No, not for normal pieces of legislation, and Mitch McConnell said outright that he wouldn't get rid of it.
    --- Post Added -- May 5, 2017, ---
    No. The bill as passed can't get through the Senate via budget reconciliation, so it would be subject to filibuster. Assuming McConnell doesn't mysteriously change his mind about killing the filibuster, the AHCA is DOA.

7. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

so when do the death panels open up?

and are they hiring?

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  8. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

24 million people lose coverage. The rich get a tax break, and all insurance can deny pre-existing conditions. All bubble republicans in the house gonna have a hard time come re-election.

Mr. Cornute, kanobro and ATJ-Lucko like this.
  9. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

I wouldn't be surprised if the morons that elected them in the first place keep them there due to their hatred for snowflake libtard commie cucks.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  10. Mr. Cornute

Likely not. The Senate if they do take this up will likely revise it to the tune that the House will not be able to garner the votes for it. The House literally had to make this bill strip so much away, read hurt people, to garner votes from the 'Freedom Caucus' and others who push further to the right. So no, the Senate will not be able to pass this bill as is.

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  11. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

12. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Kevo likes this.