Headphones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Poindexter, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

I got some x3's and switched over the the foam buds immediately.

It took me a bit to get used to the adjusting system so they sit snug and secure but once you have it down they work great.

Ninjastix and Poindexter like this.
  2. split2874

split2874 Relax

That is great news about the x3s .They were on sale at Best buy for like $50 I told my wife to get me a pair for Christmas.

I have a bad habit of just going and getting stuff I need or want if it is a good deal. The wife gets upset bc it makes it hard for her to buy me gifts .

Ninjastix likes this.
  3. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Just be careful with the cradle. I hate the design, the cradle has 4 small protruding pins that aren't made for stress. When you attach the headphones to the cradle treat it like a raw egg. The headphones themselves seem durable. And yes - it'll take a minute to get used to the foam tips but once you do they're a cheap way to improve both sound insulation and a tight fit.

split2874 likes this.
  4. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I bought a pair of Bose over the ear wireless headphones last Christmas for $200 and I love them. I don't really use them for music but watching tv on my iPad in bed, the sound is impeccable.

Someone else already said it. Finding a pair of over the ear AND wireless headphones that are worth a damn is going to be hard to do for less than a hundred.

Poindexter likes this.
  5. Ninjastix

I'm hesitant to post this because I can bet there are audiophiles lying in wait ready to tear this to shreds but let me preface by saying:

I am not an audiophile. I just want a pair of headphones that:

A) Don't sound like dog shit hitting the pavement
    B) Can actually separate a range of sound
    C) Don't stress the artificialness of streaming music

With that being said I bought a pair of Chinese IEMs (winces) which apparently are excellent value for dollar. I'm aware of the popularity of the Tin T2 but I was slightly put off by the possibility of them being a bit too treble-bias, although many people stress the lack of fatigue listening with them for long periods of time, whether it's music, media, or editing. I instead went with the KZ ZSX, which I believe is also called the KZ Terminator, because the reviews made them sounds more in line with my tastes - which is ample and clear bass, less tin-y treble, and clean, full mids.

Found here:

Color me impressed thus far. It's much easier for me to separate what sound layer is what. If that sounds ignorant then sue me, I don't know how else to describe it. But all my current headphones make the audio sounds like one uneven wall of noise. I've been using an EQ for awhile, and I can get close to the mix I want but not at the cost of making things sound more artificial at higher volumes.

These seem like a reasonable compromise for when I want to actually listen to instrumentation in any form. Sometimes music or audio is background noise for me and that's totally fine, but it feels like YEARS since I've had a song stand my hair up or give me the adrenaline tingles. I think I'll ultimately want a pair that emphasizes "richness" over cleanness or clarity but until then.. I think I may check out of a pair of the TINs as well.

Anyway, not sure this is something I'm qualified to endorsed or not since I just got the fucking things. But again, color me impressed. I'm not used to this level of audio fidelity and it's a significant departure from my current devices. If you find yourself in my boat I would consider picking up a pair.

TIN T2 can be found here:

There's also the T2 Pro, the T3, and the T4 coming soon. I've heard positive, but different things about all of them. Like I said I went with the ZSX for the overall experience. Many people still swear by the T2 even over the T2 Pro and newer T3.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    Poindexter and split2874 like this.
  6. split2874

split2874 Relax

I am still rocking jaybird x3 I got for Christmas last year. I agree you need to handled the cradle like it is an egg. Love the sound and durability since I use them primarily at the gym or doing yard work.

Nice write up on those headphones. I might have to check them out.

Ninjastix likes this.
  7. Ninjastix

My jaybirds are strictly for workouts. They stay in with foam tips and their sound carries over the equipment. I just don't want to spend 2-3 hundred for headphones when I don't really want all that much. Noise canceling or studio headphones for sound engineering is one thing - but I just wanted something that didn't sound like a boombox at an empty airport terminal you know? Some headphones give you rich bass but the mids are a wash and the treble is static. Then the super clean sounding ones have zero bass or lows. What I like about these is each layer feels more concurrent? Side by side, it's not vocals ATOP everything else.

I will say that there is a bit of adjustment to be had. I guess this is the "fatigue" that everyone talks about because my brain is like "holy shit what is all this?". So I get that critique now. These would be killer for podcasts or audiobooks for sure.

(edit) I adjusted my EQ a tad and listened to "One" by Metallica on high volume. Fucking impressive. These blow my Bose over-ears away.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    split2874 likes this.
  8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

I like that the title has "for Church Band Musician Singer" in it. Do they make any bluetooth versions?

thumper likes this.
  9. Ninjastix

I'm sure you can find ChiFi bluetooth IEMs but I haven't really gone that rabbit hole yet. It's been my experience that bluetooth is fine for speakers but for headphones, eh I find them under-powered and battery life never as advertised. HiFi folks seem to like the Sennheiser Momentum but they're 200 plus.

In the wired IEM arena many folks recommend the BLON BL-03. And when you find out what "BLON" stands for I can see the appeal lol. However I think the ones I bought are a bit more capable than the BLONs.

I did go with an on-ear pair of Koss KPH30's. I just got them delivered and yeah, Koss makes great headphones. Back in the walkman days I had Koss over-ears and they were hands down my favorite headphone only problem was they weighed 30lbs and added 2 feet or horizontal clearance to your head. The Koss are 30 bucks, comfortable as fuck, loud as fuck with crazy full bass, and have a lifetime warranty. They look cheap as fuck but... /shrug. If you're relying on headphones to get you pussy you have bigger problems than audio devices can solve.

BLONs are here:

KPH30's are here:

I got foam tips for my Terminators and god damn... the sounds. The sounds!!!

It's not all good though. You can hear shitty production, especially degradation due to what I assume is compressed audio. I noticed this with the Deftones B-Sides album which is all acoustics. Unfortunately it sounds like shit. On the flip side, Deftones full-electric sounds great. And some albums sound fucking amazing like Soundgarden's Superunknown - Jesus Christ, Cornell's voice with monitors? Yeah I wish I was listening to it on WAV files through an amp. I get it now, but even as a shitty compressed MP3 it gave me the taint wiggles.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Poindexter likes this.
  10. Ninjastix

I falling down the rabbit hole. Help.

I have the Tin T2's on the way. I'm going to compare them to my terminators and see which one I prefer and sell the other pair. I'm also giving Tidal a try since you can stream in HiFi and above. 20 bucks a month is steeeeeeep for me, so I'll give it a month and see if it's worth the price tag.

I'm also going to see about scooping up a Dragonfly DAC for my phone. There's 3 versions: Black, Red, and Cobalt. I think I'll aim for the Red.

(edit)

Buy the Tin T2s. Or wait for the Tin T4s though they gonna be double the price. Amazing ear buds. If you're in the market and over.. 30 years old, if want a high fidelity pair of headphones and you want balance between everything -> Tin T2s. They perfect.

I'm using Neutralizer for Android as my EQ. I'd recommend that as well.

(edit 2)

As soon as I got Neutralizer to work I broke it. I think it's a Pixel thing. I'm back to using Equalizer FX. If you have a Pixel make sure you disable MusicFX if you plan on using an EQ. Nothing is ever fucking easy.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Poindexter likes this.