Has Anyone Else Noticed How F'n Big GSP has Gotten

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Notrightn0w, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Monsonbychoke

Monsonbychoke Well-Known Member

Ok hgh can be tested blood only. Also if you are 30+ your hormone level naturally. Goes down. Although your strongest yeArs are 30-35 as a human yor dr can give you a test and if you show a decrease in these levels he can legally give u a topical cream that is essentially hgh. It's not that hard. I have not read through the thread nor am I accusing Gsp of anything. I'm just giving some insight to what I know.

2. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

That's what happens when government funded organizations are put in charge of a person's health and well being.

seriously though, that's the trouble with having commissions do some of these things.

Like Sherk's steroid pop. His levels of whatever chemical could not have been synthetic, but was higher than acceptable levels, so he was popped. Likely a side effect of some combination of things in a suppliment, but had he willfully tried to raise those levels it would have been much much higher.

Same thing happened to Bear's QB Jim Miller back in the day. The side effect of an OTC vitamin raised some bullshit level in his system and popped him.

Other atheletes are being suspended for the pressence of masking agents, although had they actually taken that masking agent, the levels would have been massively higher.

Until the tests are 100% fool-proof its hard to completely trust them

back on topic.....

Commissions should test for illegal drugs and steroids, yes. But if they cannot find the traces of something, then it needs to be left off these tests. A false test can ruin lives and careers. Morrison's career was destroyed (sorta). Aleks E. has had his career put onice because of the Hep C thing....then again that's mostly his fault for not retesting. And guys like Sherk have had their reps ruined because of the shit. Meanwhile, the evidence that men are blood doping and using HGH is all over the place, yet its ignored until they fail a test.

3. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

All indications point to the fact that Morrison is indeed HIV positive, it's not like HIV tests are ambiguous.

The problem is when are you to believe an athlete?, Sherk says he did nothing wrong, Barnett cliams he is a victim just like Sherk, Floyd Landis years ago said he was innocent and on Jay Leno said he was gonna fight it, and now comes out and admits he was using.
    Rafael Palmeiro shook his finger at congress saying he never did anything then tests positive a few months later maybe costing him the HOF.

4. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

They are all full of shit.

That's just it. I can't be the only one on this board that has ever spent significant time in a training room, or with professional athletes.

It's legit. I beg anyone that ever played a D-1 sport or professional level sport (3 seasons of class A baseball for me) to confirm that its common knowledge where to get the stuff, who is doing it, and how to ask for it.

I would argue to say that over 75% of high level MMA fighters (MFC/Shine/Bellator level and up) are taking HGH or some other "banned" substance.

65% of baseball players are taking something and 85% has done at least one cycle of steroids. NFLers the same.

These guys will come out and lie and say they didn't do it simply to protect them. Look what happened to MacGwire and Bonds and Sosa before there was ever any real evidence to them using.

Ray Lewis is directly related to the MURDER of a human being and he's less vilified than Shawn Merriman.

That's what these so-called "purists" have done to the perceptions in sports.

They want homeruns, knockouts, touchdowns, huge hits, slam dunks, etc but they don't want them done by physical freaks. Hell, they don't them done by men that can obtain the same results that we can by OTC drugs and suppliments.

It's a retarded stance to take. It's personal responsibility. If it's illegal, that's one thing. If it's legal, then STFU.

5. ATJ-Lucko

Yeah I agree, myself I cold give a damn if a player is using anything legal or not, Ricky Williams got in more trouble for smoking weed then as you pointed out Ray Lewis for murder.
    In mma I think steroid/HGH use is even less relevant, it will not help you learn any skills, learning boxing/bjj/wrestling is gonna get you farther then using roids the perfect example of that is Mark Kerr.

6. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

What do you mean by that? Mark Kerr was one of the most skilled fighters of his time: a world class wrestler and a beast on his feet. His problem was a crippling addiction to opiates and alcohol, not steroids.

7. ATJ-Lucko

So you are saying Mark Kerr was not a steroid freak?

8. jesusatemyhotdog

I am saying he was an incredibly skilled fighter; the most skilled heavyweight of his time in fact. So I have no idea what you mean when you say that skill gets you further than steroids, when his he was indeed skilled and his career was derailed by an addiction to opiates.

And by your own words, his steroid use would be irrelevant. Especially considering how skilled he was compared to his peers.

kanobro likes this.
  9. ATJ-Lucko

He did have some skill, but when you rely on things like Roids to do the job instead of expanding your skill set that where it becomes a problem.

and if you don't think he was using roids read this

10. jesusatemyhotdog

I don't need to read that, as I never once insinuated that he didn't use steroids. I have watched The Smashing Machine many times and have witnessed him shoot up with my own eyes on tape.

That is not the issue at all. You attempted to say steroids are irrelevant and cannot replace skill. Then you named the most skilled heavyweight of his era as an example.

Which makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Kerr's downfall was not due to steroids or lack of skill. It was due to opiate addiction.

11. ATJ-Lucko

He had some skill but he wasn't a great boxer or anything, the most skilled heavyweight of that era ok but compared to what Tank Abott, he wouldn't be considered that skilled in this era if he busted out on the scene today.
    When you speak of skilled I think of someone like Frank Shamrock not a roids up wrestler who was known for his headbutts.

I say steroids are irrelevant when it comes to skill, if you are just gonna rely on strength than yes steroids are relevant. And that's exactly what he did, he relied on his strength he didn't try to expand his game so in the end steroids did not help him one bit.

And I never said anything about his downfall he was addicted to drugs I know that, my example of Kerr was not that he screwed up his life through Steroids but a guy you used them and relied on them and never became better because of that fact. Opiates or not he still would have not have been that successful, he would have probably have had a career like Coleman or Randleman.

Maybe Randleman would have been a better example of why not to use roids..

12. jesusatemyhotdog

And Bart Starr wouldn't compare at all to Peyton Manning today. That in no way mitigates Bart Starr's status as one of the greats of his era. This is the fact in all sports. Training and coaching improves, techniques get better. Twenty years from now we will look back on the guys at the top of the mountain today and they will not compare to the guys at the top then.

I don't care who you think of. It is irrelevant. The fact remains Kerr was one of the most skilled heavyweights of his era. And for a guy who in one breath says that steroids are irrelevant, you sure seem to be hung up on the fact that Kerr did them.

Kerr had very good kickboxing at the time. He also had good submission skills. The knee he delivered to KO Stott was a thing of precise timing and technique. He also had very good hands.

It is evident you haven't watched Mark Kerr fight before his life fell apart.

He did expand his game. I have no idea how you can even make such a statement other than the fact you never saw him fight. You are just making things up.
    Uh, he did get better. A lot better from the time he debuted until his early career in Pride. Once again, you obviously didn't follow his career.
    Uh, he was successful. He was a 2 time UFC tournament champion. And to say that he wouldn't be successful, then cite a comparison to 2 guys whose resumes include a UFC HW title apiece, a UFC Hall of Fame induction and a Pride Grand Prix championship makes no sense at all.

He had a pretty damned good career himself. He just got old.

13. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Mark Kerr was a fucking beast in his prime.

jesusatemyhotdog likes this.
  14. Notrightn0w

Notrightn0w Smells like a whorehouse

From what I gathered from talking to Nick Diaz, it's only a piss test.

15. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

You have to do blood tests from time to time to check for disease. If you get a test done, you can use those results to get a license to fight with different comissions but you do have to be retested every couple years I believe.

As far as I know you only require a blood test when getting licensed to fight.

16. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Shouldn't this be in the show us who you are thread?

Poindexter likes this.
  17. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I know this is an old thread but,

there is no way I would ever believe Mark wasnt a complete juice head. he and mark coleman were both obviously juiced.

Shit I think everyone was back then

and to remove all doubt, he even admitted it, although barely

later in the article:

he has a really strange way of admitting it then denying it in the same article somehow
    https://www.si.com/mma/2015/05/21/mark-kerr-former-mma-champ-reflects-on-career-future

18. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Well duh.

19. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

lol clean as a whistle.
    [​IMG]

Gotta say though. Watching The Smashing Machine makes me really feel bad for Kerr. it was a different time then. he was slamming pain killers (injecting), and had started them just to help him get over the pain.

I can't even imagine how fuckin tough those guys had to be

Ironic part is I just watched it again a few days ago. Was telling someone how MMA all started and went back to the Kerr era, linking to that documentary

Spoon and Qball1974 like this.
  20. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Broken old men for a short term gain,

Sometimes the grass isn't greener.

Spoon and thumper like this.