Halloween - 2018

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Sakara=Excitement, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

Do you believe in the boogeyman? You should....

2. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Is that a sequel to the first one then?

3. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Seems to be, but I don't see reason to cut out 2.

4. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

It is and Danny Motherfucking McBride was one of the writers on it.

Looks great too.

5. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

Yes. This is the direct sequel to the first film.

6. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Looks good!

7. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

That actually makes me not want to see it. Horror is a genre that benefits from less being more. Horror writers tend to think they need to be more clever than they're actually capable of to scare an audience. No one let's the fear build through atmosphere, it's all overt and forced.

This looks like a good trailer but it's the music queues that have me interested. It does seem like it could be a little too up its own ass, especially with that opening sequence being in the outdoor rec area. I'm also not seeing the need of Michael to drop the teeth in the bathroom.

But I'll afford the benefit of the doubt because Curtis is in it and looks to be a core component of the story, which is aces in my opinion.

Nebraska likes this.
  8. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I don’t know how much of McBride’s stuff you’ve seen, but I’d say atmosphere is a huge part of the works he’s had a creative hand in. Vice Principals, Eastbound & Down and Foot Fist Way all have a pretty strong minimalist feel, from casting to setting.

I’d agree that I don’t know why we have to throw Halloween 2 out of canon, though

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  9. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

Rather than waste time and money with this, they should make a fighting game with all horror monsters

Michael Meyers, Freddy, Jason, Dracula, werewolf, mummy, Godzilla (to size of course), leatherface, predator, xenomorph, Frankenstein, Edward james olmos, etc

10. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

I've got a mixed-reaction on this one.

If I'm judging off of David Gordon Green directing and the cast, I'm excited since his early indie days really showed a lot of cool tone and promise to transition to a genre film like this, similar to what Ti West showed with "House of the Devil", especially when you judge Carpenter's visual style of the era(Cundey as his DP) and influence on the modern mumblecore scene of filmmakers beyond genre geeks aping his scores.

This trailer has a lot to like, some dope visuals and I'm totally fine with them doing a retcon on 4, 5 and 6 since that timeline makes Laurie obsolete (well, also dead) and Loomis becomes ludicrous even within slasher tropes and them putting hats on top of hats to try to "explain" Michael's evil is groan-y to the extreme lol. When you get to know the backstories on the BTS of 4-6, with pending writer's strikes and producer squabbles, those sequels are all over the map and just can't hang with what JC was gearing for with 1 and that's exactly why H2O went the route it did.

My quibble here comes with them jumping off from the end of the first movie and ignoring the second movie, since that's still Carpenter's writing(and he did reshoots since the slasher deluge occurred between 1 & 2 and they had to correct course with more gore etc), and II is when they bring the sibling stuff together and it gives Michael motivation to keep specifically going after Laurie beyond "the night he came home", so this movie going forty years later with Laurie as merely the victim of babysitter killings and teases of some Sarah Connor-prep work feels unearned. IDK, I've grown to really like the second movie on its own and it's still Carpenter's writing, and the original Pt. 4 was initially supposed to start immediately following II, with them explaining how Loomis and Michael survive and it tracks, so it wasn't like they couldn't acknowledge 2. I'm not a fan of ignoring II.

I personally dug the RZ movies, but just felt they didn't fit as "Halloween" movies and worked within the confines of his style and IMO, had they not been branded with this franchise and were just a new, standalone slasher from Rob, they would've been received far more favourably than they were(especially his sequel, which is grating AF and tries to bludgeon the audience with abrasive characters).

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

I thought it was a sequel to 2 and ignored everything past it. I thought in the trailer it showed a clipping of dr looms shooting michael and I thought that was in 2

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  12. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Everything looks good other than Jamie Lee Curtis. Why not make her a creepy old woman or something other than a bad ass with a gun? More horror from the antagonists and less action from the protagonist is better for slasher films imo.

Maybe the movie plays out differently than the preview makes it out to be