Dismiss Notice
Bellator London YouTube Prelims: Link Main card begins at 5:00 PM ET on the Bellator App.

GSP vs Silva will happen in May

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by JeterLover27, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

http://www.cagedinsider.com/ufc/dana-white-says-silva-vs-gsp-superfight-will-happen-in-may/

UFC president Dana White has said should Georges St-Pierre defeat Carlos Condit this Saturday night in Montréal, a superfight with Anderson Silva is likely to go down in May.

This is despite Silva saying earlier this week that he intends to take a break from fighting until the end of 2013 at the earliest.

“Anderson Silva will be there this Saturday watching, and if [St-Pierre] wins it’ll be a huge fight for us. It’ll probably be the biggest fight in UFC history. It’ll definitely be the biggest gate. We’ve done [55,000] up in Toronto with Georges before. We’ve had big gates pretty much everywhere we’ve gone, but this one would be either a soccer stadium down in Brazil, Dallas’ Texas Stadium, or we’d do Toronto again.”

White also went on the question the validity of comments made by Anderson Silva that he won’t be entering the Octagon on Saturday night to challenge a victorious GSP.

“He said he wouldn’t fight Chael Sonnen again either, but he did. He always comes out and says this stuff. I don’t know why he does it or why he says the things he says. I guarantee you, he will be there Saturday. If Georges St-Pierre wins, those two will fight and it’ll probably be in May.”

Dana has a point regarding Anderson going back on his word. He said a few years ago he only had a few fights left before retiring, yet has recently said he has about six more years in the sport, which gives us all hope that he may yet agree to fight earlier than he said he would.

That would only be half the battle however, as St-Pierre has often stated he would need quite a few months to add on the muscle necessary to make any catchweight (probably 178lbs.) that Silva’s and GSP’s camps agree on.

2. Fat Ass

Fat Ass I need Help

Money talks! Give them both a big enough offer and they will fight...

3. fighterheart

fighterheart New Member

Well, this is the opportunity that GSP needs to make history, and reach he's goal to be the best martial artist.

4. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

Fighterheart eh

5. Bigshanks

Bigshanks You think you're hard man?

I hope Condit smashes GSP and throws a wrench in the works.

6. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Why don't you want to see Silva/GSP? It would be spectacular for the sport with the number 1 and number 2 P4P fighters facing off and would show that MMA is capable of making the big fights unlike boxing.

7. Bigshanks

I would love to see that fight but I am a huge fan of Condit and my personal opinion is that I would rather see Silva vs Jones instead of GSP. I totally get the appeal of GSP vs Anderson I just really want to see Condit as the undisputed champ.

8. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Fair enough. Realistically though it's far more likely we'll see Silva/GSP long before we see Silva/Jones.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

And I know Condit is your boy and I can respect that, but GSP is going to fucking smash him :DW2:

9. RF76

RF76 beach bum

10. sabreclaww

sabreclaww jui jitsoooos

I agree that the silva/Jones fight is the better fight. Silva has NO problem going up to LHW and has shown that before. GSP, on the other hand, has GREAT point about needing time to not only GET there, but get comfortable.

HOw much speed do you loose on a jab with 10 ish more pounds on you. Answer= too much to just walk into a fight. Ask Josh Koshcheck how effective and important that quick jab can be for GSP.

I personally put on 13 pounds of muscle in a 6 month period last year and MAN OH MAN am I slower than I was. My SPEED is ok, but my quickness is no where near. Jumping, sprinting kicks, explosive speed is just wayyyy less.

So Silva can easily..EASILY get up to meet JOnes. LEvel playing field, big gate....etc. Better fight

11. Bigshanks

Odds are that you're right but I'm gonna root for him to fuckin flatline GSP.

And I'm a GSP fan too lol.

12. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I gotta agree but I'm more in the mindset that I'm a huge Condit fan and want him to be the best in the world in his class. I also hate seeing DW all but looking right on past Condit trying to put a fight together that GSP doesn't want AND with Anderson saying he wants a vacation to work on other things.

13. Bigshanks

Read my response to Triangle, I said the same thing. lol

14. Panchong

Panchong Banned

Agreed. Im not the biggest Condit fan but all this talk about GSP vs Silva is for 1 very disrespectful to Condit also so god damn cocky.
    Fair enough to speculate about future fights but to announce when they are aiming to hold the fight is just taking it to far.

15. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

Just to annoy Dana, I hope Condit wins.

16. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

There are more WW contenders now than there have been in years and Dana pulls this shit.

They must need cash or something.

I wonder what the UFC's monthly overhead is?

17. Fat Ass

Fat Ass I need Help

I think the goal of an event like this is to grow the fan base, with what they will be paying Silva and GSP plus I'm sure they are going to market the hell out of it, even if they break even on the event they will be winning in the long run...

18. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

I assume location hasn't been announced?

I wonder if they will do it in an outdoor stadium.

Cowboy Stadium maybe?

I assume NY wouldn't be possible in that time frame, but what do I know...

19. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

I think the bald wonder said it would be in a soccer stadium in Brazil, in the Cowboy's stadium, or in Canada.

20. neo

neo Misses Karo

I don't see how it can be considered cocky at all. GSP puts his head down and does his job well and I respect that a lot