GSP v BJ Penn is official!

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by gogoplata, Nov 12, 2008.

1. gogoplata

gogoplata New Member

Nov-11-2008
    UFC ANNOUNCES UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2
    ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP®
    ANNOUNCES UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2

UFC® WORLD WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

SATURDAY, JANUARY, 31, 2009
    LIVE FROM LAS VEGAS AT MGM GRAND GARDEN ARENA

Las Vegas, NV (USA) – In March 2006, top welterweights Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn fought for the division’s No. 1 contender’s spot. St-Pierre earned a razor-thin split decision and went on to win the Ultimate Fighting Championship® welterweight title. Penn dropped to the lightweight division and won the organization’s 155-pound title.

Now they’re about to do it again. But this time, there’s much more at stake.

UFC® lightweight champion BJ Penn looks to be the first fighter in history to hold two UFC championships at the same time when he faces Georges St-Pierre for the UFC welterweight championship at UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2, live from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, January 31, 2009.

Two champions, two of the best in the world, pound-for-pound, and this time – two more rounds for the welterweight championship.

“This may be the most anticipated rematch in UFC history,” said Dana White, UFC President. “Their first fight was an epic battle of two of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport. After that fight, St-Pierre would go on to win the UFC World Welterweight title and Penn would go on to win the UFC World Lightweight title.

Now these two champions meet again with a lot of pride and St-Pierre's title on the line. This fight will be talked about for years to come.”

Tickets for UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2 priced at $750, $500, $300, $200, $100 and $50, not including applicable service charges, go on sale Sunday, Nov. 16 at 10 a.m. at all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith’s Food and Drug Centers and Ritmo Latino). Ticket sales are limited to ten (10) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.ufc.com, www.mgmgrand.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

UFC 94: ST-PIERRE VS. PENN 2 will be available live on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Communications and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $44.95 for standard definition or high-definition broadcasts (where available).

One of the sport’s most dynamic athletes, Georges St-Pierre (17-2) will be prepared to go five rounds to defend his UFC welterweight championship. The Montreal, Canada native has won his last four fights and nine out of his last 10. Most recently, the popular champ defeated number one contender Jon Fitch in a five round war, and at 27, he is in the prime of his brilliant fighting career and looking to send Penn back to the 155-pound weight class.

“I'm very honored to fight BJ Penn and very excited because it's the fight that everybody wants to see, including myself,” said St-Pierre. “It will be one of the most anticipated fights in UFC history, and I'm glad and humbled to be a part of it.”

The welterweight division is old hat for Hilo, Hawaii’s BJ Penn (14-4-1). The current UFC lightweight champion earned the welterweight title in 2004 with a submission victory over UFC legend Matt Hughes. But Penn has been even more untouchable since moving back to the lightweight division. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has won his last three fights against three world-class foes in Jens Pulver, Joe Stevenson and Sean Sherk. But the only thing on Penn’s mind right now is a return to the welterweight division for a healthy dose of revenge.

“For that fight, I was at a point in my career where I didn’t prepare as well as I should have,” Penn said. “During the second and third round I realized that I ran into someone that wanted it more than I did…Now, I’m very prepared to go five rounds.”

2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Hell yes, my friend, hell yes.

3. Steel

Steel Bi-product of the 80's

NICE!:vodka::clap::vodka:

4. scottsec

scottsec NOLA

BJ by triangle...

5. BigBanda

BigBanda You Do Not Even Realize!

I already thought it was official but I'm glad to hear more positive news regarding this. I am inclined to see this rematch more so than almost any other fight I have ever wanted to see.

6. Mastershake

Mastershake There once was a man-----

I would give a surprise face, but I thought it was pretty well official after GSP beat Fitch.

7. Fredro32

Fredro32 Air Olden Polynices!

:clap::clap:

:clap::clap:

Agree & If Penn wins, as brought up before, it will be talked about till the rubber match. Can not wait!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Intellectual

Intellectual Breathe Life Into a Stone

this is going to a decision for sure. can't wait for this fight.

it's going to be very close.

9. marco47

marco47 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah. Gonna be a great one... And the winner by Unaminous Decision.....the FANS.

10. Problematique

Problematique Silver for monsters, steel for humans.

mutha fuckin war penn

11. TheDW

TheDW New Member

BJ will find a way to stop GSP

I very rarely do this but I will make a sig or av bet on this fight

12. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

You should do a t-shirt bet.

13. TheDW

TheDW New Member

great idea!

Thats what I'm gonna do, a No Mercy shirt against someones sig AND av.

WHO WANTS SOME??

14. Dan0

Dan0 MMASpot Janitor

It looks like a NO LOSE for BJ and everything on the line for GSP.

WHAT A FIGHT!!!

15. Quintessential Studmuffin

Quintessential Studmuffin DOESN'T WANT BJS BELT

16. Lefthookstcrook

Lefthookstcrook KO Artist

Sweeeet poster^^^

This is deffinatly the most anticipated rematch in the UFC since Chuck/Tito II. If they put something else half decent on the card it could do well over 750,000 PPV buys. I want GSP to win, he seems to be improving at a ridiculous rate, and I still dont think we've seen the best GSP yet.

Where as IMO Bj has just kinda mellowed out(or "matured" as fighters like Leben would call it) and worked on his cardio. Mainly I dont see Penn gettin too much better in his career. Now granted, he really doesnt "need" to get better if he beats GSP the second time around, But if a rubber match ever happens years down the road, I think GSP would most likley handle him.

GSP by UD or SD

Hes not gonna KO BJ, and hes deffinatly not subbing him. I see the fighters looking the same as the first fight TBH. Penn will be gassed, but have hardly a mark on him(its them samoans I tell yeah), and GSP will be swelled up and bleeding, but win a close decision

17. ChrisAM

ChrisAM New Member

This is great, I really don't have a favorite in this fight. It would be nice to see BJ win so we can see a trilogy and rubber match. But this should be a great fight, I would buy this ppv if this was the only fight.

18. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Hell if you are offering a t-shirt I will take you up on that bet. Just nothing overly homo if I lose.

19. TheDW

TheDW New Member

I have allready had a few people message me about it, so when it gets a little closer I will make a thread about it and it will be first come first serve to make sure its fair to everyone.

20. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

BJ's not gonna let the judges prove to the world again that they have no idea what grappling or BJJ is.. like DW said he'll find a way to finish GSP.. well I shouldnt say find a way cuz BJ Penn has two outs in this fight.. he can TKO GSP or submit him.. what I should say is.. he will win by either one. GSP is gonna have to put on the most boring, and near perfect performance of his life in my opinion to beat BJ at this point.. assuming BJ Penn continues to come in at his best and perform at his potential.. which I think is a safe assumption now-a-days