1. Nothing any good isn’t hard. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura.
Dismiss Notice
Pick a peck of pickled pick 'ems: UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura

Gi Revew Thread

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Noob, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Thought I'd resurrect an old friend.

2. Noob

This is a stickied thread, and it is going to be the home for any gi reviews you guys feel like putting together. Also the place to post if you want recommendations on gi purchases.

If you own a gi, have rolled in one, borrowed it from a friend, whatever. Put together a review and submit it here. I will edit and update the thread to include all new admissions.

Eventually I would like to see this become a good reference tool for anyone looking to buy a new gi.

Atama:

Bad Boy Kimonos:

Brazil Combat Gi:

Keiko Raca:

Gameness:

Ground Force Kimonos:

Howard Combat Kimonos:

Piranha:

3. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

I stand by the Atama gold weave. It's a damn good gi. I've had my blue one (pic posted above) for a little while now. I bought it brand new in the summer of 07, and it's held up very nicely. My gi before that one was a double weave. It was a good one, but i got extremely hot rolling around in that thing. Like I said in the review, the gold weave is thick and durable like the double weave, but it feels lighter and I don't get nearly as hot when rolling around.

The sizes vary. It all depends on what you want. I'm 6'2 225, and I went with the A4. At first I thought it was too big, but after a few washes the sleeves and pants shrunk up a few inches. I like my sleeves and pants legs to be rather short though. The less sleeve/pants leg to grab the better. Good thinking bringing this thread back up, Noob. As always you are on your A game.

edit: damn after looking at the prices, they have definitely gone up. I got my gold weave for 120 or something like that back in the day.

4. Noob

Review added, thanks.

And yeah, Atama's were a much better value 2-3 years ago. They've inflated in price substantially and aren't the same value they used to be.

In my opinion, there are better gi's for the money.

5. pafighter99

pafighter99 get ready for The Count

I'm looking for a Cheap Gi. I don't want to pay anymore then 80$ any suggestions? It's for BJJ not Judo if there's any difference. I swear my gym is a bunch of retards they sell a shitty Gi for $137 and if I ask anyone where to find a cheaper one they say look online.

6. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

What about Lucky Gi, I was looking at them today, and a lot of people at my gym seem to have it.

7. pafighter99

I'm looking into buying the Howard Johnson Gi for $60 with 15$ for shipping and handling. It looks nice and gets good reviews, I'll wait a few days to purchase it tho

8. pafighter99

I'm also wondering if anyone knows the difference between Bleached and Unbleached

9. bradlabo

I ended up getting a krugans. the collar is very heavy which I like...Cost almost $200cdn though. Nice Gi, hear it is.

[​IMG]

10. ChrisAM

ChrisAM New Member

Im trying to get rid of a solid black gi my parents got for me I never used, brand new, size A-4. PM me if your interested.

11. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Fuck fuck fuck... may favorite Gi wore a hole in the ass. I used it about 220 times in the past year and a half so I shouldn't complain, but I really liked this gi. It was a black Koral MKM Competition.

12. bradlabo

Lol, that sucks dude.

I love my Krugans though, you should look into it.

13. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Koral since it lasted as long as it did, but I'm open to new Gis... the thing about Gis is different brands have different cuts and Koral has been the best for me so far. It's like they are taylored for me. I have a Vulcan I use for competitions, but it doesn't fit very well. It's really baggy compared to my Koral.

14. bradlabo

Yeah, i tried on a Koral it felt pretty good but i really liked the collar on the Krugans, that is pretty much what sold me on it.

Also really liked Atama

15. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Did you buy all these gis? If not, where did you try them all on?

16. bradlabo

Lol, no I only bought the Krugans.

I tried them on here http://www.fightplanet.ca/

and I tried on the Atama at the Fan expo.

17. bradlabo

I just bought a new summer gi http://redstarbjj.com/redstar-gi-white-large.html
    [​IMG]
    I have been told by numerous people that Redstar makes fantastic gi's. Can't wait to try it out.. Very light the pants only weigh 8 ounces and the kimono wieghs (on my scale at least) 2.6lbs.

I bought it at the MMA expo so I was able to get a good deal on it only paid $100!!

18. bradlabo

Is it just me or is it extremely difficult to get a Shoyroll gi??? I am having a hard time finding one.

19. Steve

Steve D'arce Vader

limited supply + insanely high demand

they only make like 400-500 for each release or something crazy like that i heard.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

what make me uneasy about redstar gis is that it actually says "quality brand" on the freaking gi. hahahahha

20. bradlabo

THe only redstar that is good is the summer gi's.. The others are shit...

I think I am going to settle on either a Keiko Raka, Koral or Vulkann for my next

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

My local fight store does sell Shoyroll but he is out of stock... THe Sinister gi's seem to be getting good reviews from everyone also.