Georgia Just Criminalized Abortion. Women Who Terminate Pregnancies Would Receive Life in Prison

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by ATJ-Lucko, May 12, 2019.

1. Ct_L33T

Ct_L33T Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Can God create a rock so heavy that he can not lift it? I don’t know. What is yes, to your question, I’m guessing? I’m not really arguing for or against, I’m just getting my thoughts together so that I might someday have an opinion.
    When does consciousness happen, at birth? Later?

3. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

A term limit for abortions is the only legislation I will support in this discussion. An early term limit is fine. What my home state has done is tyrannical and shits all over women's rights.

Not sure if true but I'm reading that Texas introduced a bill that would sentence a woman to death for getting an abortion. That is fucking nuts This whole thing is nuts.

chrisc and Poindexter like this.
  4. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

If you want to help decrease (not outlaw) the abortion rate (I have no idea if it is high or not), then let's provide all women with free prenatal health care, and free healthcare for anybody under the age of 18. That would also I imagine improve our abysmal infant mortality rate. Shaving off a few billion dollars in foreign aid outta do the trick.

Anchorpunch likes this.
  5. Miz

Having a baby would suck. My wife had three. I was amazed each time. Did she forget about the previous ones? If men had to have babies there would only ever be one kid in a family.

I apologize, as this only barely has anything to do with the topic. May God have mercy on my soul.

6. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

So unless I’m missing something (or those people just don’t or can’t give their opinion) pretty much everyone here agrees abortion
    shouldn’t be outright illegal but there should be a limit on how late it can happen?

7. Miz

Except in your case where I think your mother should be able to have a retroactive abortion.

8. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

I think I should be able to sue her for my bills of the past 14 years. I didn’t ask to be here

disposableassassin, Kevo and Miz like this.
  9. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

In some countries abortion is legal until the child is 18 years of age.

10. Miz

Which country Kano? You’re fucking with me surely? And I didn’t just call you Shirley.

11. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

It's called the "I brought you into this world I can take you out" law.

My Pop wouldn't lie too me.

12. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Late term abortions except in the case of medical emergencies should be outlawed. What constitutes a late term abortion, I don't know

disposableassassin and chrisc like this.
  13. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

And honestly, I don’t think anyone truly does. And that’s what makes this such an annoying topic to me. Because a majority of people on both sides feel they are 100% right and any other opinon is stupid

Kevo likes this.
  14. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

That statement applies to so many things

disposableassassin and chrisc like this.
  15. Miz

I do get why prolife woman want control. Anybody who has ever been present to a woman delivering a baby knows it’s a crazy thing. On my second baby my wife was pushing (no medicine) and says, “I think I’m done.” I take a gander and the babies head is right there but not even close to through. I said, “I’ve got bad news...”

16. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

Also know as 75th trimester abortion.

Poindexter and Kano like this.
  17. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Getting pregnant should be illegal.

Poindexter likes this.
  18. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Yeh, I mentioned only in the context of the law (where this would increase the scope of criminal liability for those involved). But I think I basically agree with everything you said on the later posts. I'm pro-choice but I don't blame a true believer for being angered.

I do find the notion that there is a "science" to this to be infuriating. The question isn't even a purely scientific one. There's as much a philosophical question of what constitutes life in the broader legal sense. And it raises questions about when someone is still alive after brain injury.

As far as the Unborn Victims- I don't know all the details in the law. But the notion that there are heavier penalties for killing a pregnant woman than a not pregnant one makes sense to me. The issue, to me, isn't whether or not the life was truly alive, but whether or not the living victims can reasonably perceive it as such. Because one root of the legal system is taking the law out of the hands of citizens, the punishment has to be in sufficient proportion to the crime to prevent subsequent retaliation (or at least limit how socially acceptable it would be). So, in this case, if enough of the populous believes it, then it's real. Social construction of the legal system :)

19. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

It’s not purely scientific, but there are significant elements where science offers guidance. And it is philosophical, but not in the sense that religious beliefs have the same validity as rigorous philosophical circumspection. It also cannot be removed from a conversation that includes an understanding of socio-economic and gender inequalities.

20. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

So what are your general beliefs?