Gamer Tags and Stomping Ground

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Ninjastix, Aug 29, 2008.

1. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

It was called FF6 in Japan and FF3 on SNES

2. nbm02ss

nbm02ss Well-Known Member

It's FFVI for Andriod/iOS. But, if you don't want to pay for it, you can just get an SNES emulator, and enjoy lots of other classic games as well.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Cat--Smasher likes this.
  3. disposableassassin

disposableassassin I'd like to introduce you to my replacement Site Donor

I am godoflost on both playstation network and Xbox live. Let me know if you send me a request so I know who you are.

4. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

cat--smasher on PSN

Whats everyone playing these days?

Im still playing UFC (lots) and COD Advanced Warfare (not as much) for PS4. I have a copy of Destiny I have not yet even opened.

Also have a PS3 but havent played much lately. Have most COD games, UFC, GTA and so on..

5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Been playing Bloodborne and Hardline. Hardline is a pretty excellent shooter but I'm disappointed that there's no coop. Bloodborne is a Souls game, frustrating, input lag, but otherwise solid.

6. disposableassassin

Yeah I'm really enjoying hardline. Bloodborne not as much.

7. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I paid for it from Google Play for 15 dollars. I play FF I, IV, VI on my phone when I am bored waiting for clients :)

8. Dirty

Dirty fuck you!

Is that only for smartphones? I dont even have a cell phone. Just a laptop and PC.

9. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

Save up your money, homie.

10. sourdough

Just get an emulator for you computer bro.

11. Dirty

Dirty fuck you!

Im normally fairly competent in these things but have had issues with what emulators to get and how to use them. Half the time I try to DL an emulator I get 78 warnings from my AV. Could you fucks that are so quick to point out how dumb I am simply take the 2 mins to tell me whats up?

12. ILJO

How about I emulate my nuts on your forehead? I would spend days creating that before I answer your question.

13. sourdough

14. Ninjastix

Been playing the new Mortal Kombat. Lot of fun, very happy with the robust single player options. Very weird contrast between how chummy chummy the banter is when people end up killing one another.

disposableassassin likes this.
  15. disposableassassin

MKX is so fucking awesome.

16. ILJO

Haha, I like randomly stumbling across my old posts because I get like 3% into an apprehensive cringe as I prepare for the shame, but if it doesn't suck it feels like it was good because my expectations were low. If it's good I feel like a genius.

Honestly though I feel like most of my posts I wouldn't be able to recognize as mine if my name wasn't next to it. Well maybe not most. You'd have to go back a certain amount of time.
    --- Post Added -- Apr 19, 2015, ---
    Oh shit, that was this month? lol. I must have been sober. Guess I just assumed since this is an old thread...

Poindexter likes this.
  17. nbm02ss

nbm02ss Well-Known Member

nbm02ss on Steam. Currently playing GTA V.

18. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Just getting into MKX.. Ordered online with the Kombat pack but the DLC characters are not available yet?

19. Virtualpurple

Virtualpurple Go Team Venture!

First you better learn how to emulate having nuts.

Dimson likes this.
  20. Ninjastix

What is to follow is a lengthy review of Witcher 3, I may include slight spoilers in terms of generalities not content specifics so if you're holding off on playing it for some reason and you don't want ANYTHING ruined, then ignore my post. If you do not want to read a wall of text, I'll have a nice little list at the bottom to sum up.

You've been warned.

So the first thing I'll say is I played it on PS4, and it looks great. I find that consoles paired with a high-end television deliver, for me, an equivocal experience to a high-end rig on a smaller monitor. Just a preference. Game looks good, is colorful, and the world has a lot of personality.

The second thing I'll say is that there is no excuse for the controls. The same issue I had with the controls in Witcher 2, make it into Witcher 3. It isn't game breaking but the poor controls are constantly there to remind me that they exist. It builds in a consistent level of frustration whenever you try to look at something to loot it or if you try to swim. Now I have 2 pristine ps4 controllers, and the I get the same "auto-walk" effect with both that makes trying to loot an object or trying to surface when swimming an exercise in futility. Rage-quit inducing at times and an annoyance at others, it all depends on how long you play and how into the game you are.

Third thing I'll say before I get into the story, plot, etc., is that I would recommend playing this game whereas I wouldn't Witcher 2. Witcher 2 was over just as it felt like it was getting started. Witcher 3 has a shit-ton of content, some of the most I've ever seen in a single-player game. Probably took me close to 70-80 hours to go through the game doing most side quests and none of the in-game card game bullshit. The story is more focused and accessible this time around, but it's also extremely cliche. End of the world, prophecy, yadda-yadda-yadda, chosen one, etc. But the characters and character relationships are very strong.

Where the story is the strongest is in the world and mythology surrounding its creatures, each with their own personal history. The monster hunter aspect of the game and the stories that go along with them are the height of the game. So if you know nothing of the political theater, the Witchering aspect of the game will keep you invested. I would recommend reading either in-game manuals or the online wiki for details. It won't hurt if you don't, but it'll help you make more informed decisions.

The game itself is not fun to play. Gonna seem like a contradiction but it's a great game, just not all that fun to play. It is a fun experience however, it's one of the better storytelling games out there. It suffers the same problem as Witcher 2 where your gear is level locked, whether you can create it or not. So by the time you're level appropriate to wear the best gear in the game it doesn't matter. Unless you find a leveling exploit of some kind, you won't have the best gear until very late in the game, making you godlike for all of 3-5 hours. You'll know by then what works in a fight and what doesn't, and there's really no depth to the AI. You can cheese or exploit pretty much every fight. It would be a struggle to make things as "intended" as possible during a fight with anything. Pretty much everything can be exploited, flying creatures can get stuck in corners with their backs to you, mobs will refuse to attack you for some reason, and big elementals can get trapped by their size in the world.

I'd contrast the combat-style to Shadow of Mordor (or the Arkham Asylum games) where the combat is simple, fun, and challenging when you get a large number or a certain mix of enemies. Plus, I get a stealth approach in that game and a measure of range and verticality tactics not found in Witcher 3. So what Shadow of Mordor may lack in crafting, customization, or even world depth, it makes up for by being fun to play. The Witcher 3 is fun to experience, fighting just gets in the way. Should you find an experience exploit (I found one after the fact so never used it), most fighters are going to end as this begin. In the last 10 hours of gameplay for me, I pretty much one-shotted everything normal making tactics moot.

Again, if the game sucked I wouldn't have invested three weeks into playing it. You take a game like Mass Effect 2 or 3, games that are heavy on cut scenes and talking with people, but are also fun cover-based shooters. People who complain about the Mass Effect trilogy make me want to poison water reservoirs, especially when the talk about how the first one was better because it was more RPG-like. The controls and the shooting in the first game were shit. The second and third where actually fun to play because my actual controller inputs mattered.

You don't need to parry, block, or dodge in the Witcher. Have fun having the game recognize those inputs with any consistency. You'll end up glitching enemies to come at you one at a time, you'll have ways to stun or control them, then you either knock them down and one shot them or just hit their unarmored backs. You'll struggle initially not because you're learning, but because your gear sucks. Once you get some Witcher gear crafted, you'll see what bullshit the fighting mechanics are.

The best advice I can give is play the game for the story. It's on par with Mass Effect 2 for having some of the best side quests ever written. The main story line isn't bad, but if you played a game where people have swords, guess what? You're going to try and save the world and you can only do it... together. It's really not that different a story from Dragon Age: Inquisition where an Elven Sage leads a chosen hero with a special power to open gateways between worlds... actually now that I type it... it's the same fucking story!

I won't spoil anything in terms of content but let me say this, the game was clearly written for you to have one love interest over another. And while I think the combat in Witcher is bullshit, I actually had a bigger problem with this aspect of the game than any other. It's probably because I was very invested in the story, but some of the dialogue after making this particular choice was completely inconsistent. Just bad design, left me feeling I'd done things out of order or was playing from a completely different save.

So I'm sure there will be many saying it's GoTY, and reading many of the reviews for the game I refuse to believe those people played this fucking thing all the way through. Can't get those scores with these kinds of controls. I didn't "learn" how to swim till about 50 hours into the game where I discovered that the whole autowalk thing happens underwater. I understand not everyone wants to read this essay, so here's my list of what's done well and what's bullshit:

Done Well:

- Side stories
    - Creatures
    - Characters
    - Skin Textures
    - Decisions and choices
    - Crafting
    - Environment (especially the design and themes of everything from weapons to cities)
    - Voice acting (one of the best games for VO work period)

Bullshit:

- Controls
    - Target lock
    - Continuity of choice
    - Main story cliches
    - Combat
    - Combat?
    - Combat!
    - Character Specialization
    - Level Restriction
    - Finding a quest mark on the map

Best Thing in the Game: