1. It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. Discuss: "UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We've created a backup site in case the forum experiences any technical difficulties. Please bookmark the following addresses: www.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/ and/or www.nm.reddit.com/r/MMASPOT/. All urgent announcements will be posted there in the event that the main site goes down. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequently Asked Questions/Recommended Reading Materials

Discussion in 'Training & Nutrition' started by Clint, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

This is a good thread indeed.

What are some good options to put on weight in a healthy fashion? My metabolism is like a jackrabbit.. I can eat a whole pizza and not gain an ounce.

I'd really like to put on some weight and start lifting. I'm not looking to bodybuild, just get in shape, look good, be healthy and have that extra energy.

2. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Calories are your friend. And complex carbohydrates.

I didn't think I could gain either. And then I got really motivated and ate until I was nauseous most hours of the day.

Clint will have better advice, lol. I suck.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

I went to GNC last week and got some of the high calorie mass builder. Probably a waste of money, but if anything I've been drinking a fair amount of milk with it, and I hate milk usually so that's good.

4. Noob

Noob www.myspace.com/mmaspot

Go milk.

In my experience, mixing with milk causes most high-calorie mixes to sit very heavily in my stomach. Which is very uncomfortable. I stick to mixing with water, as a personal preference.

Something to keep in mind if you find you're not as fond of it in a month.

5. Coll

Coll New Member

The best advice I can give someone new to weight training that I can’t actually get my hands on to train is this. Eat more than you eat now and eat better than you eat now, lots of meat is a good thing lots of candy bars is a bad thing. Do not worry about what is the best it will only keep you from making real progress, slowly start cutting out food that you KNOW is bad for you and replace it with something that is better. Just be sure to get enough food in your gut, if you fail to do this your weight training will not be a positive activity but a destructive one.

Before advancing to a more mass oriented training program stick to something that will allow you to build a strength base, your body is not ready for high volume training so programs that do not exceed 25 reps in a single lift in a single training session are just right for you. Also stay away from a program that would take more than about 40min to complete, I find most people just starting out begin to have a drop off in strength after 30min of training so starting with an hour long program can lead straight to injury . Be sure the program treats big compound lifts (basically any lift that takes more than one joint to complete such as squats, deadlifts, and bench presses) as the primary focus. Isolation lifts (think curls and leg extension) are fine so long as they complement the compound lifts not replace them.

The final last bit of advice, a god awful program that you put your heart and soul into will produce results, the best program the world has ever seen when done half assed will be worthless. Pick a program and follow it, follow it all the way to completion, any other method is doomed to failure.

As for growth food
    meat
    meat
    meat
    milk
    potatoes

6. tick

tick is banned?

When it comes to people having trouble gaining weight, one of the problems is that they usually don't take in as many calories as they think.

A suggestion I have read alot, and would give, is keep a food journal of everything you eat. You might surprise yourself with how few calories you are actually putting into your body.

So Step 1: Keep your diet the same but for a week or two write everything you eat / Drink down in a food journal. Everyday try to figure out how many calories you are taking in.

Step 2: After the week or two of figuring out how many calories you have been taking in (and unsuccessfully gaining weight) increase the amount by 200 calories a day. Keep on this for 2 weeks. Take your measurements and weight. Did you see a gain of a pound or two? If no or increase by another 200 calories.

The hard part is having it be Lean Muscle mass and not fat.

I am sure all of us here have the same goal, which is to look good naked!

I will try to dig up some articles I have read on that, but i have no trouble gaining weight. It is losing weight that I have trouble with.

7. Rufio

Rufio New Member

To add to what Clint said:

- For a protein/carb meal, try something like chicken breasts and brown rice. You can really fill up on the brown rice
    - For a protein/fat meal, you can't beat 6-7 whole eggs. Maybe some natural PB too
    - For chili, spaghetti, and burgers, you may want to use ground chuck instead of a super lean beef
    - Coconut oil is a healthy source of fats (medium chain triglycerides) that tastes great and can deliver lots of calories without stuffing you. Maybe down some of it with a lean meat like tuna or chicken. Olive oil is good too.
    - Adding milled flax seed to your shakes or old fashioned oats is a good idea It doesn't add many calories, but a serving has over 2 grams of Omega 3s and 4 grams of fiber, both of which can help your body process the protein
    - Play around with your calorie ratios. Maybe start with 180 grams protein/230 carbs/70 grams fat per day. See how your body reacts. Switch it around as you feel neccessary. A lot of it involves trial and error.

Check out the "Fit Show" links I posted for some good training tips.

8. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

Is it better to eat right after cardio or waiting 1/2 hour? I am reading mixed opinions on this.

9. Rufio

Rufio New Member

It depends what your main focus is. If muscle mass is your top priority, get some protein in your system ASAP. If fat loss comes first, you can let your body run off of its own energy stores for another 30 minutes while your metabolism is still high.