1. It’s not a thirst for blood, not at all—but an astonishment, an appreciation for the capabilities of a human that bares his soul naked for the art of combat using strictly his body. That’s entertainment. "UFC Fight Night 139: Korean Zombie vs. Rodríguez" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 7:00 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

First match against a black belt

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by bradlabo, May 26, 2018.

1. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

A couple weeks ago I had my first match against a black belt. He us a super legit guy having won 3rd at pans an living and breathing bjj since a kid in Brazil.

Well stupid me, I let that fuck with my head big time. I was never in it. I was super passive and hesitant with my movements. I completely let him dictate the match.

This match is him sweeping me with a pretty slick one set up from shin on shin guard. 25 seconds later I was taping from an armbar.

He us in my division again at my next tournament and can't wait to take him on again. I love thay they mix brown/blackbelts frequently.

Attached Files:

2. slikguy

slikguy Damn!

You know what they say, war is 80% mental and 40% physical.

You’ll get him next time

3. Palma

Palma I am chaos

What event is that?

bradlabo likes this.
  4. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

Kick his ass Seabass!

5. bradlabo

Most of our events in Ontario combine belts under our jiu jitsu association. This one was pretty much the biggest in Canada was about 2000 competitors.

I had a great division but not competing for a year hurt me and fucked with my head. Going to keep grinding and do much more tournaments. (It was illegal here last year)
    --- Post Added -- May 27, 2018, ---
    I know I can best this guy. But I handed it to him and that hurts more than anything

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Poindexter and Palma like this.
  6. Palma

Palma I am chaos

What's the name of the academy you train at, again?

7. bradlabo

Pura Bjj but we mostly go by Atos Hamilton now. We were the first club in the world to be directly affiliated with the Mendes before they had AOJ went under the larger ATOS umbrella.

8. Palma

Palma I am chaos

That's right. I didn't know you were in Ontario. For some reason I thought you were in Vancouver.

9. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Hey @Palma who do you train under? My instructor came from Cali and got his black belt from Eric Shingu.

10. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I got my black belt from Claudio Franca and trained with Nate Mendhalson, but I moved out to Sacramento and train with Eliot Kelly now.

Dimson likes this.
  11. Dimson

I got my white belt from David Lohsen!

Palma likes this.
  12. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Lol

13. Dimson

Working on one day getting my first stripe. I don't train nearly as much as I should. Also doesn't help that I am over 150 lbs over weight. I get my ass kicked every day but I never regret going every day I train.

14. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

You live near Jacksonville right? I’ll be in Florida in August. Wish I’d be closer and I’d train a night with you. My Sisternlaw lives in St. Pete’s but used to live in Jacksonville. Trying to talk her into watching kids while the Mrs and I go to St. Augustine. I love that town.

Now that I’m watching my kid full time I have no reason to not start training again.

15. Dimson

I am about an hour and a half from St. Augustine. I train in Orange City, which is a short drive from Daytona. I have a buddy who is s stay at home dad who just trains and plays video games every day. Pretty sweet gig if you can get it.

Miz likes this.
  16. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Just keep going buddy! One foot in front of the other

Poindexter, Miz and Dimson like this.
  17. strife

strife I

Glad you're still sticking with it brad, good stuff man.

Palma and Poindexter like this.