Fear The Walking Dead Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by Poindexter, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

+

2. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I realize TWD had only 6 episodes its first season but now that it's proven, why only 6 episodes of this?

3. Poindexter

I know, WTF?

4. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

name one successful spin-off from another TV show?

except 'joanie loves chachi' of course

I know a lot of people who have stopped watching TWD, the new show isnt a guaranteed hit

if the characters are annoying, or if it isnt darker than TWD, I doubt Ill watch

5. Dirty

Dirty fuck you!

Frasier

6. JeterLover27

JeterLover27 Well-Known Member

Torchwood

7. Trodden

meh, it did ok. Didnt have quite the social impact as Cheers. they both had 11 seasons, but Ive never watched an episode of Frasier

who hasnt seen at least one cheers?

never heard of it.

for a show to qualify, IMO, it needs to be well known by people who never watched it

such as, Ive never watched 'friends', 'that 70's show', 'heroes' etc, and yet I know tons about those shows

what is torchwood a spin of from?

the only show I know of that can claim successful spin offs is star trek

and Ive never watched any of them, but I know what a 'tribble' is

8. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

So basically, you're the authority on whether or not something is successful?

There's a SHITLOAD of successful spin-offs, many of which eclipse their parent show in popularity.

All in the Family had 5 spin-offs, but 3 were successful(Jeffersons, Maude, Archie Bunker's Place) and Good Times was another successful spin-off that came from Maude

The Flash is currently as successful as Arrow, which is in it's third season. They're already planning a third show spun off from Arrow.

The Legend of Korra is in its 4th season, while it's parent show, Avatar, only had 3.

Daria ran for 5 years

Melrose Place spun-off from 90210, and is just about as successful.

Better Call Saul seems to be doing pretty well.

Angel was just as good as Buffy, even ran a season after Buffy was cancelled

Technically, the Simpsons is a spin-off

Frasier was a HUGE show and won a bunch of Emmys.

A Different World ran for 6 seasons

Torchwood ran 3 seasons in the UK(a lot for them), and was even brought stateside for one season. Sara Jane Adventures was another successful Doctor Who that only ended when the star died.

Initial_ZEN likes this.
  9. Trodden

yes......yes I am

the argument I was making was a show is so successful that society is actually impacted by it. All in the family gave rise to the request for equal rights for women and civil rights. Maude did kind of the same thing, the rest were just fodder

never seen it, dont know anyone (except maybe on here) who has

never heard of either. if a show isnt known by people who dont really watch TV, its impact is minimal

that one Ill give you, but no way people talked about Daria the same amount as Beavis and Butthead. Daria was good, but didnt make the same splash

just no

just started, way too early to tell if it made as big an impact as Breaking Bad

I actually almost mentioned this one, but I never heard anyone talk about it. A pretty big bench mark for a shows success is how often people talk about it

Futurama is the only show I would call a successful spin off

but compared to Cheers? which is the #1 factor in determining a successful spin off. Frasier was good, Cheers was better and had a bigger impact on people

what'ch you talkin bout?

never heard of torchwood. Ive heard of Dr Who though, but thats it

its an opinion, as I stated before. Live with it

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

Ncis was a spin off of jag, then Ncis la. Csi new York and Miami those shows might have stunk but they were all hits

11. Trodden

all the law and order's and ncis's are arguable as successful spin offs,

but their more clones than going in a new direction

most spin offs have small elements of the original, but their own voice

I really enjoy law and order, SVU, etc. But they so similar it just seems like the same show

sure they focus on different types of crimes, but cops doing cop stuff has been re-written to death

after NYPD Blue, all cop shows seem the same to me

12. Poindexter

You're definition of "successful" seems fairly fluid from the start and is becoming more eccentric with each post. For the Walking Dead spin-off to be successful it doesn't really need to fit all of the qualifications you've added to the equation.

Rise likes this.
  13. Trodden

my qualifications are simple

impact society and get people talking about it

TWD has a fucking spin off show talking about it

Ive had countless conversations about TWD, but if its a spin off, no one really talks about it, and doesnt really do anything to popular culture, its impact is small

14. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

The argument that you, Joe P. Whoeverthefuck, have to have "heard people talk about it" as a parameter of success is hysterical. "I don't know what that is, so it can't be important" is a pretty ignorant way to go through life.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

also, Futurama was NOT a spin-off of Simpsons.

Nate_Deezy likes this.
  15. Trodden

you've never heard of 'water cooler' talk?

having a show being talked about is THE benchmark for a shows success sans ratings

if youre not watching a show, and still having conversations about it, its a success

I watch a few shows, better call saul, archer, ghost adventures, the walking dead

I dont watch any others shows

Ive never seen that 70's show, yet Ive had many conversations about it

Ive never seen of 'Arrow', 'Torchwood', 'Flash' or any of the other shows you've mentioned

nor have I had a conversation about them, had you not mentioned them, Id never hear of them

I listen to a ton of Metal bands. If you dont listen to metal, but have had conversations about a metal band, would you not consider them successful?

how many people never listen to Cannibal Corpse, and yet have had a conversation about them?

if youre not paying attention to something, and yet have to address its existence, its made an impact

TV is the biggest example of that

16. Neganomics

Neganomics I know nothing.

Are you insinuating that there are other ways to judge the quality of something aside from how popular it is in the general public? That pop culture isn't the only factor?

Explain yourself.

Trodden likes this.
  17. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

Do you not think the water cooler talk would be somewhat based upon the people standing around?

If my nephews were at the cooler you'd certainly have heard about Arrow and Flash, if the Ex wife was there you'd know about Torchwood, and so on

And of course very few people are talking about the walking dead spin off it's not on the air yet...

Basing a show's success on whether you'd heard of it is not really a gauge of it's true success.

Also not sure but by using your definition Cannibal Corpse would not be deemed as successful (was that your point?)

18. Trodden

hearing about it and being so inundated by something you HAVE to talk about it is different

that have TWD Yahtzee now.

it is if you work in television. NOW its defined by 'trending', but getting people to talk about a show gets others to try it

and I think we are getting 'success' and 'influence' different

a show can be successful and no one talks about it

Firefly was a hit amongst fans, and got a cult following after it was done, but it wasnt successful till after it was cancelled

mainly due to word of mouth. thats what gets people watching shows. Id bet at least once you've checked out a show via someones recommendation.

Bob Dole held a press conference (back in the day) condemning Cannibal Corpse and a huge media storm on the band followed

besides Ace Ventura, a lot of people got into the band due to people.....wait for it.......talking about them!

and THEY have since went on to be the best selling Death Metal band of all time

without a single, or hit

SOLELY because of word of mouth. that success would not have happened had people not been talking about them

19. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Was water cooler talk really used as a barometer of a show's success? Did I really stumble across that?

20. cheeseflosser

cheeseflosser Well-Known Member

Whether or not this is the most "influential" or "impactful" or even "successful" television show has no bearing on my watching it.

I'm personally interested in seeing what the writers can do in a medium that's not even partially bound by the comics. I think that's what they wanted to do anyway.

I always wondered why they didn't randomly choose characters/zombies and run 15 minute webisodes on their stories leading up to and in the aftermath of the apocalypse.