EA excecutive talks about the Battlefront II microtransactions

Discussion in 'Movie, TV, & Video Games' started by ATJ-Lucko, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

2. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

EA has the most down voted post in Reddit history with Battlefront 2. They are criminals

3. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

EA and Dice fucked this so badly they actually forced it the table of legislatures. It was going to get there eventually because what these games do isn't exactly gambling, but it absolutely cut of the same cloth. It is predatory commerce that intentionally disguises itself as a "complete" product or service that gates content based on additional pricing with randomized outcomes of an indeterminate value.

It's the indeterminate thing that's been a problem and is going to be a problem in getting meaningful action. Publishers have the money to lobby to obfuscate the meaning of the content they hide in RNG loot boxes.

The best thing folks can do is not buy these fucking games. Publishers and Developers answer to the shareholders. That's their customer base NOT the gamers. Gamers, like sports fans, will continue to funnel money into bad businesses that do not warrant continued support. Gamers want to believe the advertising and marketing and Publishers know this.

Where EA fucked up is where other Publishers and Devs have been shoehorning this shit in after the game is complete, Battlefront built it into the core of their progression system. Then EA and Dice (can't exclude the people that built it) first justified it, they didn't apologized they essentially called their fanbase stupid, then they "adjusted" the in-game payouts, then they apologized, then they temporarily suspended microtransactions... in a game where progression is either pay or grind. So the only option left is... grind?

It's so amazingly stupid, short-sighted, and dim witted you have to really believe they thought people would just buy it cause it's Star Wars. When you're willing to completely change your values for progression you undermine the entire reason to play the game. If they wanted to do this correctly, they'd of set everything to be unlocked, for free. Now they've ruined their brand, they've pissed off Disney, the practice of micro-gambling of games is under review abroad and in the states.

It couldn't have happened to a nicer company.

I will say that I got what I paid for with Shadow of War. I didn't complete it and I do not plan to. That game also had a significant micro transaction controversy and with good reason. They want you to pay for content that will simply expire. As you enslave Orcs in the game they just die and betray you. So imagine paying for high tier, bad ass super orcs that last for about 25 minute in game. Now Destiny had to apologize for XP throttling their game this last week. Granted games like Destiny and Overwatch have cosmetic content, it doesn't affect gameplay but it's still gambling with your money. You cannot directly purchase the outfits or items you want. You purchase a chance to unlock them. You are pay-gated.

It's fucked up. I do not pre-order games nor do I buy season passes. If I really like a game I'll buy the DLC after it's released and reviewed so I know what it does or doesn't add or change. None of it is about covering the cost of game dev. EA also let that cat out of the bag by saying the suspension of microtransaction in BFII would have no impact on their bottom line for this year.

O'rly? So it's just pure profit then? But fuck gamers. They're the ones that wrought this system and they're the ones that defend it especially in the world of CS:GO and Overwatch. They're willing to gamble for skins and pay for empty content.

"OMG I NEED THAT COSTUME!!" For a first person game? People are still buying Call of Duty to do what exactly? What could possibly be different? Same with games like FIFA, Madden, 2k Basketball, they're all going to be GAS - Games as Service.

Get used to GAS, because for all the "Fuck EA!", "Fuck Konami!", "Fuck Activision!"... people still buy iterative titles with micro gambling.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    disposableassassin likes this.
  4. disposableassassin

disposableassassin PHASE 3 Site Donor

I've opted out of all of those games. I'm playing wolfenstein 2 on my xbone, Mario odyssey, skyrim, and doom on my switch.

No loot boxes for me.

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  5. JonesMadeDCcry

JonesMadeDCcry SMOKE BOMB!

Yea I think I'm gonna pass on buying bf2. I still enjoy the first one very much
    --- Post Added -- Nov 24, 2017, ---
    I played the beta, and it was pretty good. But i could tell the loot crate shit was going to get old real fast.

6. Ninjastix

For a competitive game, tying progression to random drops is a death sentence. The playerbase for the game is steadily declining and the same will be true for Destiny 2. Destiny is content gating based on DLC. Fucking game just came out, there's no established end game, but there's content gating DLC?

No matter how good the gameplay there's just too many other options to feel like you need to play these titles. That's the only good thing about all of this. It helps you decide what to play by omission.

Gamers are not the represented constituents here, Publisher shareholders are. But gamers hold all the power in terms of what they purchase and where they purchase. If they stop forfeiting that power then they become the constituents.

If I had to play a FPS, I'd go with Wolfenstein 2.

disposableassassin and Kevo like this.
  7. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

It is a great game and if you liked the first 2, you will love this one.

8. Trodden

Trodden Aggretsuko is my power animal

I hope you know the guy isnt talking about video games, but some weird story about going to a beach

my spanish isnt that great, but the sub-titles are just made up

most of the last half, once he's laughing is pretty hard to understand

I understand its a commentary on the games in-costs, but that toothless Spaniard couldnt program a VCR

9. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

yeah i know, its a meme like the hitler one, i don't know spanish so its funny to me lol

10. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

this whole process isn't new though, and it's worse with some games (if it's the same idea i'm about to describe)

I played a golf game for awhile (golfstar). a friend of mine gave me his account when he had to quit, his wife made him stop or they were getting divorced (yes I'm serious)

he payed OVER $4000 between buying outfits and silly shit that would increase power, skill etc, and then spent untold amounts on what I think are the equivelant of these lootboxes they talk about. tell me if it's the same.

You buy these packages of 'stars'. say you buy a pack of stars for $100. that gives you enough stars to be able to run a slot machine type thing which is the only way to get these really high level sets of clubs and special outfits that give you the most skill increases.

the problem is they are paying out the top level stuff at UNBELIEVABLY low success rates. The game is called Golfstar.

The other issue is almost all the people that played it enough to get top accounts had ALL paid well over $4000 in hard cost to buy the equipment, but were also spending probabnly the same amount to buy these stars to make more spins. So someon might actually have to spend $8000 for the top guy with all the skill points.

After about a year, they come back with a new, higher level of clubs, outfits and other 'bonus' items. so you have to start over again to get the latest.

is that how these lootboxes and the microtransactions work?

Trodden likes this.
  11. disposableassassin

Similar. I'm guessing this is a cell phone game? The biggest issue with these console games and what they are doing is that you have already given the developer $65 to purchase their game only to find out that all of the best content is locked behind a paywall. For example darth vader and alot of the more popular heroes cost credits to unlock. You can get these credits by purchasing them with real world money or it would take you 40+ hours per character of grinding to unlock them. Meanwhile other players have spent a few hundred bucks and they have a fully upgraded Vader (upgrades also cost extra) and they smoke you during online matches. Cell phone games are at least usually free. So paying extra for content is usually excusable for that reason.

The way the loot boxes work in these games is that you pay for a "premium" box with real world cash open it and get random stuff. Usually if you pay for the bigger boxes you might be guaranteed a couple "rare" items but you never really know. It's essentially gambling our money away. Worse yet alot of the games now are having you open the boxes in a hub area so all of the other players know what you are getting to entice them to buy boxes.

It is a disgusting practice and one that led me right back into the loving arms of Nintendo.

Trodden likes this.
  12. Ninjastix

Loot boxes are a way to compensate for the lack of game development and design. To be fair both those things are really fucking hard to do and can be expensive but look at what loot boxes solve for publishers:

They keep players engaged in a game because in order to progress or feel like you've completed the experience your content is artificially gated.

They are a consistent source of revenue POST SALE. You therefore have a property that doesn't require additional development that continues to return profit.

Loot boxes can work where their content is uniform and asthetic. If the content is tiered and rarity-rated and/or it is tied to progressing or completing elements to the experience you're breeding toxicity.

It is however gambling, since you are risking monetary value for either something or nothing. Furthermore digital items, even if not directly transferable, can be indirectly transfered.

Say I played Overwatch on PC. And I unlocked hundreds of rare outfits, poses, and voice overs. I can't trade those with you directly. I can however sell you my Blizzard account.

There is real monetary value to items rendered and the rendering odds are UNKNOWN to the participant. You do not know how the algorithm weights your chance for a desired item.

It will make its way to legislation but gaming special interest is massive. Expect any legislation to be well neutered. However even with that proposition, all gamers have to do is play other games.

It actually is that simple. People need to remember what it means to have consumer power, and if that means walking away from gaming, or playing retro shit then so be it. Very few new games innovate or exceed past greats.

The best thing in all this is that there are thousands of games without loot boxes. Just play those and publishers will get the message. Gaming, like anything else, is a bubble. When the trend shows it's constricting then shit will change.

13. disposableassassin

That is exactly what I have done. I've skipped all loot box-centric games this year.

Trodden likes this.