1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you live to work, or do you work to live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by dan the man, Jan 16, 2015.

1. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

15 years for me. The mill where I work is a publicly traded company owned by stockholders driven by profits. So employee satisfaction is not a high priority. The pay allows me to make a house and car payment and take a trip to the mountains for hiking and camping every year. (my brother is in Colorado, I am in Minnesota). I would still work even if I did not need to but not in this mill where the pressure for increased production is always there.

A part time job at a fitness center is what I think I would end up doing.

Poindexter and Walter Sobchak like this.
  2. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

whomever invented yoga pants is a fucking genius!!

3. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

nothing wrong with watching fit women workout

4. lordpyro

lordpyro Member

Indeed, but people that get to do what they love for a living seem few and far between.

I was honestly a dead beat until I started working as a programmer - to pay for weed of course. I never had any intention of doing anything but playing guitar and drawing manga. But, luckily the .COM boom was in full swing when I was a Jr. in high School, so when I finally decided I was going to have to work, I was able to walk into a good paying job doing something I loved.

I don't always like the places I work, but I love what I do. Whether it be working as a programmer, artist, or engineer.

5. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Love what I do. Selling homes is much more satisfying than the automaton warehouse jobs I had in the past. Of course I work to live although I have a nice nestegg where I can be lazy for a month if I want as I did in December when housing market is slow.

6. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

If you came into some serious money, would you continue to work?

7. Miz

Miz Badlands

I just resigned so....Now I got to find something else. Luckily my wife makes good money.

Who is foundstarnegged me, and why? Is it dantheman? I haven't been on lately. Did you lose a bet?

8. dan the man

What kind of work were you doing?

LOL, yes. I lost to ChrisC.

9. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I did come into an inheritance and elected not work while I attended schooling for real estate training as well as pre-nursing studies. I was going to get a Bachelors then see about med school when time came along but then I found real estate. I love numbers and the ability to run my own enterprise.

I do regret not working throughout the schooling as it would have kept me more focused. Were I to come into more money, I would continue to do real estate as well as developing and flipping homes on the side.

On my 29th year on this rock and have become more attuned to my mistakes of the past and focused defeating my greatest enemy: procrastination. I spent too much time in my own comfort zone rather than taking what I want from life.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. Thamob

Thamob ISYMFS

They deserve a nobel peace prize for sure. At the very least a drink on every guy in planet.

Poindexter likes this.
  11. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Tainted supplement distributor Site Donor

Which is exactly what led me to pursue a degree at a technical college.

12. ILJO

ILJO Mississippi Girl Site Donor

I regret so bad not trying to figure out what I wanted with my life. So remember that you're lucky, and don't even think of taking it for granted one day.

Maybe it's just an excuse but I wish I understood a little bit better when I was young. Because I grew up kinda poor without much guidance, just having to go to school and get good grades to go to good college, etc. And that was the same noise the school was spouting too so I was just like - ok, this is normal life for everyone (we were immigrants so I didn't have anyone who knew this culture).

It was like "high school is basically just practice for college, college is practice for the real world." Everything is fucking practice for more practice. I didn't even like the first practice! but I thought I had to do it so I did, but I never put an extra second into thinking about "extra curricular" or "college" and all that because I felt bitter toward it all. So I had no plans, no interests, no ambitions, nothing.

I was the responsible one of my friends too, kinda - we were all kinda fuck ups but I got good grades and kept it quiet. So it seemed to me like I was one smart/crafty mother fucker compared to everyone I knew.

I signed up for only one college because my uncle told me I'd make good money when I graduated. So that's where I went. I still felt like it's all just "prepare/practice" for the world though, because it was the same damn thing - go to class and learn, then take a test. I didn't want to care about that. It was the same motions I was already sleepwalking through.

By the time my dumbass realized that I'd been making light of serious decisions that were effecting my future, I was already set to my current destination.

Funny how shit goes sometimes.

13. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

A little bit of both for me. Let's be real. Who here actually enjoys the obligation of having to work, whether labor-intensive or not, in order to support a family and yourself? In the end we all have to work in order to provide unless you had a pile of funds fall into your lap.

Having said that, I enjoy what I do very much. I was a PR/Journalism guy in college, and I've always been blessed with a pretty strong ability to shoot the shit with just about anyone--the gift of gab I suppose. It's really hard to make good money in journalism and PR. It's really hard to make good money in advertising sales too, but natural ability combined with the awesome training I've had and continue to have has put me in a position to surpass my annual income goal I set for myself to achieve by age 30. Working sucks sometimes, but setting small goals, reaching them, and setting new ones is very enjoyable in the workplace.

I've had family members say I'm too concerned with making money and some of the richest people in the world are the most miserable people in the world. My response was that Shad Khan is worth close to $4 BILLION and owns one of the sickest yachts you will ever see, and I've never once seen that man frown. I've met him and spoken with him a few times, and he's one of the most down to earth, coolest motherfuckers I've ever met considering his status.

My point is that having a media background in college (and I LOVED it) and doing a lot of public speaking made ad sales a natural fit for me. I cut my teeth in a small market and moved on to a bigger market, and I went from basically living from paycheck to paycheck from 2010-2012 to living quite comfortably for someone under 30 at the end of 2013. Granted I bust my goddamn ass in the streets and on the phones every single day, but I enjoy it. It has it's ups and downs for sure, and the downs can suck bigtime. A win, especially a big win, is just so rewarding though. What better way to start off a relationship than with a sale? lol

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    The Sundance Kid likes this.
  14. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Are there any thing you can do online for like extra money that is like legit? I’ve heard of surveys and some stuff. Job is slow for me right now, and want to pick up some extra on the side.

15. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

You can become a cam boy, ask @ILJO all about it. It's his weekend gig to earn scotch money.

Poindexter likes this.
  16. dan the man

I finally did it. I left the retail car sales business, and am now running my own doggy daycare out of the kennel my wife and I own. We are in the marketing/client-base building phase now, which is incredibly difficult, as there isn't much money coming in yet, and filling the daycare every weekday can't come soon enough.

I'll say that I do not, in the least bit, miss car sales retail hours. I also don't miss the 1 1/2 hours total commute time per day (now, it literally takes me 3 minutes to get to the kennel). The ratio between work life and personal life has definitely improved in the personal life's favor.

If you can make a lot of money without sacrificing your personal time, more power to you. Balance is key, and I don't think many people understand that.

Poindexter and Dimson like this.
  17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I wish you success. You live once, for a very brief amount of time, and happiness is the goal all human life is oriented too. If you are happy when all is said and done, you have lived a good life.