1. The family that I live for only breathes the air that smells of combat. "UFC On ESPN+ 6: Thompson vs. Pettis" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 5 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
    Dismiss Notice

Demetrious Johnson, Eddie Alvarez announced for ONE Championship world grand prix slots

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Demetrious Johnson, Eddie Alvarez announced for ONE Championship world grand prix slots

--- Post Added -- Nov 7, 2018, ---

Demetrious Johnson reacts to news of ONE Championship Flyweight Grand Prix

2. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

I thought they would be in the same Grand Prix. Disappointing.

Poindexter and Dimson like this.
  3. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I was thinking, "Oh man, leave it to Japan to set up freak show matches."

4. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I wondered that when I first saw the headline.

JonesMadeDCcry likes this.
  5. PillowBiter

PillowBiter Well-Known Member Site Donor

Same. My first thought was "WTF?" and my second was "Awesome! (and I'm sorry DJ)"

6. Cat--Smasher

Eddie Alvarez reacts to news of ONE Championship Lightweight Grand Prix
    --- Post Added -- Nov 8, 2018, ---
    Demetrious Johnson excited about the promotional push he’s receiving from ONE Championship

7. Cat--Smasher

Demetrious Johnson excited for fresh start, new challenges in ONE Championship

8. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

I think it's pretty obvious that post was coming. He deserves to be pampered a bit and throwing it in the face of the UFC is what had to be expected.

if they had gotten behind DJ like they did everyone else in the company that was a phenom, he'd have been treated like royalty. BUt they didn't want the division and didn't give a shit about him.

I'm glad to see he's getting treated the right way and enjoying shit again.

Eddie is kind of a different story. I think he's done competing with the big dogs. he's been a warrior from day one. BUt going 1-2-1 in the last couple years didn't help.

The irony is there are guys with much shittier records than that still there. My guess is Alvares probably had a pretty decent contract and they didn't want to re-up the deal again. Pure speculation of course, but what other reason could there be? he was a fan favorite, he fought exactly how the UFC wants guys to fight, throwing caution to the wind and just stand in front of people are throw leather. It doesn't make any sense to me why else they'd let him go

Qball1974 and Poindexter like this.
  9. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I've been scratching my head over a few fighters they've let walk away the last couple years.

10. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

it's so completely the opposite of the way they used to operate. They'd hold a guy to contract and shelve him just so he couldn't go to a rival org. it happened all the time. Nobody seemed to be able to get out.

I think there's something going on. They aren't hurting for cash. With the ESPN deal they said they're positive now through 2022. BUt there's clearly a restructuring going on at Endeavor. My question is, are they releasing these people just from the UFC or are they also releasing them as their agents? because if they're keeping them they may well decide letting them go to one and get paid big bucks frees up money to work in the UFC and they still get a pretty big chunk of cash, being their agents handling their contracts elsewhere.

11. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

Poindexter likes this.
  12. Cat--Smasher

13. Cat--Smasher

14. Cat--Smasher

15. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Don't these guys fight anymore (Alvarez and Johnson).