1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Dana White: UFC could one day ‘bring boxing under our umbrella’

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Dana White: UFC could one day ‘bring boxing under our umbrella’

2. Noise

Noise Ruido

I'd legitimately be fascinated to hear what his thoughts on a regional/local education system are and what he'd do to address it.

3. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

A reality show and a pep talk.

"Do you want to be a fucking teacher?"

thumper and lwbrewer like this.
  4. Noise

Noise Ruido

lol, "O'Doyle Rules gets the next title shot."

Rep for whoever gets that reference, :cheerful:.

5. Miz

Miz Badlands

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

6. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

not sure how any of this can be a surprise since there are several videos during the may/mac tour where dana and others are wearing 'zuffa boxing' shirts. i'm sure everyone saw them

my guess is this was actually in anticipation of him winning the fight. But i don't doubt they're at least considering it. and why not? shit the way they built up the UFC it would be awesome if they built up boxing.

only difference is they couldn't monopolize boxing in any way shape or form due to the ali act. but still. this would be awesome IMO because i love boxing too

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    disposableassassin likes this.
  7. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Built up boxing to what exactly?

8. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

[​IMG]

lwbrewer and Miz like this.
  9. Cat--Smasher

Maybe Paulie vs Lobov could be UFC's first boxing match... And last.

10. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Yeah Paulie!

11. Cat--Smasher

Bob Arum responds to Dana White, calls the UFC desperate

12. thumper

not buil't' but buil'd'.

Point being they have the money to cram a lot of money into boxing, the same way they did to MMA. Without what they did for MMA we wouldn't be watching it all and it wouldn't even be sanctioned.
    --- Post Added -- Oct 26, 2017, ---
    There are bits of what he said that are true, but they are hardly desperate.

Although i'm betting there is some serious sweating going on in WME-IMG right now, not being able to get FOX back on board for the ridiculous 380% Increase and FOX passing completely on their exclusive option, Bud changing to a cheaper brand which surely means less cost (especially since they are only advertising US events now), now they're trying to part out the UFC broadcasting but it doesn't sound like there's a whole lotta good news there. Why else would Dana suddenly be talking about bringing everything in house?

I don't think there's any desperation but it sure as hell hasn't gone the way Ari hoped it would with the broadcasting deal, then the bud deal, and the low PPV numbers.

Arum though has been pissy for years since he had no choice but to watch the UFC meet, over take then slaughter Boxing numbers. And don't let him kid you. the only reason they're paying 80% is because they fucked over the boxers for so long, they brought the Ali act in and forced them to give the money to the fighters. it sure as shit wasn't voluntary, and I don't buy for even a second that any boxing org gives a shit about any boxer any more than the UFC does for any fighter.

Both are surely only concerned with who bring them ticket/ppv sales.

Arum and Dana are birds of a feather, just doing different things, and Dana had some very rich friends.

fuck em both. Both will be around for many years. neither are going anywhere
    --- Post Added -- Oct 26, 2017, ---
    Oh also, i think ARum is mistaken too, I don't think the they are planning on bringing boxing into the UFC, it sounded more to me like they are considering doing a startup which is why their shirts said 'Zuffa boxing' and not 'UFC boxing'

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  13. Cat--Smasher

Dana White elaborates on potential UFC move into boxing: ‘Why not give it a shot?’

14. Cat--Smasher

Dana White announces boxing venture, currently obtaining promoter’s license

15. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

The UFC monopoly has both hurt and helped the sport. It's a weird dynamic, ultimately I'd prefer fighters having options on where to fight and competing orgs providing competitive advantages to do so. The sport still has a bit of a cap on it's mainstream appeal because of the all nuances. It's not just punchy kicky time but that's what your average 18-32 year old can understand without Joe Rogan's verbal flow charts.

I don't see where boxing helps, they're having a tit of a time promoting, cultivating, and formulating their own talent. UFC keeps the sport recognizable via branding but again, it's a double edge sword. They clutch it to secure it and they smother it at the same time.

16. thumper

Going to be very interesting seeing them getting into boxing seeing how the Ali Act will make their money grubbing very public.

Wonder if it's going to blur the lines with the Ali Act and MMA too?

I thought they were going to do Zuffa Boxing. Why? because he was wearing shirts that said 'Zuffa Boxing' Not 'UFC Boxing' which would make no sense. so Zuffa Boxing will be the dill pickle.

Could be good man. if they can get past the way they pay their fighters dogshit I'm all for this. People can complain, but bringing in a big promoter could really help the sport.

They're already doing 'prize fighting', may as well do this too. I'm all for it

And honestly? i love the thought of Bob ARum shitting his pants because he got overrun.

Miz likes this.
  17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

At his age I'm guessing Arum shits his pants daily.

thumper likes this.
  18. thumper

i'll admit, that made me laugh

19. Miz

Miz Badlands

I've always thought mixed cards would be cool. I always dug those New Year's Eve Japanese cards with mma and kick boxing. Hell throw in some grappling matches.

ChuckBooty 2.0 and lwbrewer like this.
  20. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

I would LOVE to see Paulie beat the fuck out of Lobov.