Dana White: 'The Ultimate Fighter' will continue as part of ESPN deal

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by AnchorPunch, Aug 8, 2018.

1. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

[​IMG]

Full article on MMAJunkie:

2. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

3. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

Please just take it out back and put a bullet in it.

Qball1974 and AnchorPunch like this.
  4. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

It's cheap to produce and it's a vessel to hype their next upcoming card. Capturing your target audiences attention and giving them commercials/promos for an hour for a product you're trying to sell them. Of course they'll keep it going.

5. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I don't watch TUF anymore, but i was wondering how the hell they would deal with losing that feeder system.

The contender series seems to be the new fad, but holy shit, after watching hardy in there i will admit, I didn't see anything impressive with his fight. They put him in with a can to get an easy win, the moment he fights anyone with a ground game he's going to CM Punk it up I'm' sure.

6. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I agree Hardy didn't show anything but punching power but lumping him in with Punk is not accurate.
    Hardy is a world class athlete. He has a background in a physical violent sport (not women beating) football.

Miz and thumper like this.
  7. thumper

I wasn't comparing his athletic ability at all. I was comparing his fight background. should have clarified that. I think he's going to look just as terrible as punk did the minute he fights anyone that has more than a little grappling/wrestling.
    --- Post Added -- Aug 8, 2018, ---
    I really wonder what the true viewership is on this. The hyperbole of 'million' is just silly.

I wonder how those metrics play out. For instance. I record every TUF series. I watch less than 5% of them. Do all my recorded episodes constitute part of that million or just the 5% I watch? Those numbers are all available.

I also fucking hate the Cox cable box. I love most of it, but i wish it had some semblence of a programmable button. All the bells and whistles are great, the best (BY FAR) is the voice operation, but I really wish I could program a skip like I was able to with my old sat boxes.

anyway, I wish i knew how those numbers really work.

8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I used to try to get through some of the seasons, but the past five to ten or so I just couldn't do it at all.

9. thumper

for me it's just so saturated with MMA now I can't even keep up with OneFC and bellator. let alone trying to get introdued to the new guys watching TUF

but if i had one option of those 3 I think it'd be watching TUF because that show does a really good job of letting you get to know each person.

I tried to watch the 'undefeated' season but got bored by the 4th episode. The last full season I watched was the one Tecia Torres was on. Wasn't that Rousey vs Tate?

I need to record them again and start forcing myself to watch. Problem is, I'm so busy I don't get to watch much of anything I've recorded. keep finding myself reverting to news and using it as BG sound. that makes TUF useless because you have to actually pay attention to get anything out of it

Poindexter likes this.
  10. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Last time I watched was GSP vs Kos.

11. CA_Gas Bag

I think my last time was the Rampage/Rashad season.

Qball1974 likes this.
  12. AnchorPunch

I watched through Carwin/Nelson (though by those seasons, I wasn't really following as closely and always skipped directly to the fight leadup). Interestingly, that was 2012, and I think it was really the last time that I needed extra MMA content.

Qball1974 likes this.
  13. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

You can bet your ass that ESPN is so hard up for content that they'll not only have TUF, but they''' have an hour-long TUF Talk afterwards. They'll bring in TUF contestants, former fighters referees and they'll breakdown everything from the training to the fights to the match ups to drama in the house.

14. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

I enjoyed when you knew the coaches were going to fight on the TUF finale. It seems like the coaches never fight anymore.

Miz and Qball1974 like this.
  15. thumper

yeah they have really tanked in the last few years. it's amazing how fast it happened

didn't they dump a shitload of 'talent' a couple years ago?
    --- Post Added -- Aug 9, 2018, ---
    yeah they had a different dynamic back then. watching tj outsmart cody in every conflict got boring. but i could see cody being the kind of douche that gets in fights at the drop of a hat in bars and places like that

they fucked up badly when they started focusing on the stupid shit back in the early seasons

16. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

They've had multiple purges over the last 28 months.

The fact that cornhole & video games has been their highest TV ratings this summer tells you all you need to know about where ESPN is..............and society

17. thumper

they must be whole hog on this shit by spending big with the UFC. they must be planning on something. I guess it's a push to get ESPN+ or whatever launched. FOX did it with FS1
    but man i thought TUF had all but tanked.

18. CA_Gas Bag

Any time I hear "cornhole" I think of George Carlin.

Fuck cornhole.

Qball1974 likes this.
  19. AnchorPunch

Do people outside of America know what "cornhole" is? I grew up in Pittsburgh, but hadn't heard of it until I was probably 30 and at a work event. Wish I could have seen the look on my face when someone asked if I wanted to play cornhole...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Dimson and Miz like this.
  20. thumper

i never thought about that. I assumed everyone knew what cornhole was