1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Dana White: Georges St-Pierre suffering from colitis - GSP: Doubts he will defend MW belt

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

I think many of Georges fans were happy to see what he accomplished with this return. I dont think that large of percent of his fans hold it against him if he cannot continue to compete at 185.

The UFC is all about money, the sonner the rest of the fighters realize that, the better it will be for them.

I will say it again, it would have been a stupid business move for Georges not to seize this opportunity.

Is this the only time in the history of mma where a smaller man has done up in weight to defeat the larger champ and then gets shit on for it?
    --- Post Added -- Dec 7, 2017 at 9:45 AM, ---
    Georges St-Pierre criticizes UFC for allowing Bisping to return early after being concussed

Trodden and Qball1974 like this.
  2. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

My statements on the whole situation are not geared to GSp fans. Although I do think that UFC and Georges are taking advantage of that fan base by playing them for fools and lying to them about their true intentions.
    The fighters know. Some fans know it. This has been clear for a longtime. You can go all the way back to Chuck fighting Jeremy Horn and Vernon White. Or how Matt Brown was a in a title eliminator w/o ever facing a top 10 opponent. Or Conor McGregor's career. Or Bisping's. Or Brock's.
    Will never deny that. If someone was handing me a $3M check I would say & do just about whatever they asked.
    I don't know. I shit on Randy Couture pretty hard for cherry picking Tim Sylvia.
    Plus I don't think its shitting ob GSp so much as it is people are finalling understanding the reality of the situation, that Bisping should have never been a champion, let alone been able to sit on the title for that long. He almost lost his title to 44-year old Hendo (Ranked #11), and then did lose to a retired fighter moving up a weight class that quite frankly barely looked like a shell of peak self.

3. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

I thought it was pretty fucking awesome.

4. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

5. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

You would.

6. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

Great episode.

Kevo likes this.
  7. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I don't think any of his real fans would hold it against him, but that fight also did nothing to elevate him or his legacy, that's for sure.

beating bisping is not a huge moment for anyone at GSPs level but he had zero risk. Lose? built in excuse. win, tout belts in both weight classes, but it really doen't mean munch. he's going to be remembered for his run at ww. period.

I would guess most people (I sure did) figured he'd drop as soon as the fight was done, even while they kept touting the 3 fight deal, must defend blah blah

contracts don't mean shit there, at least now. seems everyone is negotiating all the time.

8. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

I don't think it had anything to do with money for GSP. I think it was just a matter of coming back before it was too late, so he wouldn't regret it later in life. Heck, he said exactly that in an interview I saw with him (I don't remember the source). GSP has more money than he'll ever need in his lifetime. He probably agreed to 3 fights (if that is true), just so he could come back to see what happens. If he is/was satisfied after only 1 fight, he could do whatever he wants (stick around for another, or walk away for good). He doesn't owe anybody anything.

Qball1974 likes this.
  9. Fe1

Fe1 4 Division Champ

Saw an article recently that said that weed is the best treatment for colitis.

I imagine Nick Diaz is just waiting for George to piss hot.

10. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

GSP should retire so he can fight again in a few years

11. thumper

eventually prohibition will be repealed just like it was with alcohol.

Once it happens this entire country is going to look cross eyed at each other when asked why it was ever banned.

I don't use it, but Jesus Christ. the opiate problem is this country is damned near a national emergency, but marijuana is still illegal? give me a break.

12. Trodden

Trodden The autumn air Thickly fills my lungs So sweetly

thumper and Poindexter like this.
  13. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

14. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

15. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

GSP vs Conor UFC 222 for the interim ww title

16. nbm02ss

nbm02ss Well-Known Member

Did he willingly vacate? If he did, I can at least respect GSP for letting MW move on, but if it was a UFC decision then go ahead and strip Conor, too, so LW can move on.

Spoon likes this.
  17. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

You can respect a guy that took a fight just to beat a paper champ, get paid, and then walk away again?
    In the lead up he said if he won he’d defend. In the post fight he said he’d defend. In his own words he’s already feeling better. But fuck it. Let him walk. UFC will hold up a title for over a year. Bisping & Connor have already proven that. So why quit less than a month into a reign? Cause he never had any intention of actually testing himself. He’s in it for the biggest checks against the easiest marks. Period.

He’ll be sick until Woodley is out for a 6-9 months. Then he’ll fight Nate for the interim WW title.

18. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Why you so butt hurt,

You're going on like he stole your lunch money.

19. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

No, he stole yours and a lot of other peoples. And this is just more evidence of it.

20. thumper

this isn't new. he's done this every time GSP has been mentioned since this board came up.