1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Dana White: Georges St-Pierre suffering from colitis - GSP: Doubts he will defend MW belt

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

2. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Georges St-Pierre doesn’t think he’ll defend UFC middleweight title

3. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Woodley is going to be nudged toward getting that shoulder surgery, and we're going to get GSP vs Conor for the interim title Super Bowl weekend.

kanobro and Dimson like this.
  4. Qball1974

I'll be impressed if he even comes back,

Rather he retire now on top.

Dam near perfect carrier.

singinkangaroooo and ATJ-Lucko like this.
  5. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

6. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Its not like you're required to defend belts anymore anyway

7. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Exactly! You just collect them, like Pogs.

8. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I feel for all the nut huggers that wasted a bunch of fucks on GSp's return.

Nebraska likes this.
  9. Qball1974

It was a fuck well spent IMO.

0mega1, Kevo and Miz like this.
  10. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

Ah, and the douchebag chimes in - right on cue. I'm sure the entire MMA world has been waiting for his incredible insight. For a guy who lost the belt to Bisping, he sure has a lot to say about someone who beat Bisping for the belt. His dribble is becoming rather tiresome.

I hope they put Kelvin against Whittaker, as I would rather see anyone other than Rockhold. If he finally does get the opportunity to fight for the belt, I hope that he gets destroyed. Fuck, do I ever hate him.

As for GSP, I never wanted to see him at MW, even though he did win the belt. WW is his natural home, and if he continues to fight, that is where he should be. If he walked away for good, I'd be content with that too.

Cat--Smasher and Qball1974 like this.
  11. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

If he doesn’t fight Woodley next that comeback will be a complete farce. Fuck the entire thing if he goes after Diaz and Conor next then retires for good.

12. Cat--Smasher

Why would it be a farce?

It is on the UFC their MW champ who ruled the division for over a year was 'a farce' not on GSP.

I dont really get all the hate. GSP beat the champ, as long as he doesnt hold onto the belt for over a year while making his decision on the future, I dont have a problem with it.

Sakara=Excitement, Miz and Qball1974 like this.
  13. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

If, and it’s avery big IF, GSp fights again, it’ll be Connor. That dude came back to pay some bills and that’s all.

14. Nebraska

GSP wouldn’t go near 185 when he was in his prime, then he sees a lame duck champ at the end of the road holding the strap and he all of a sudden finds the motivation to return to fighting? Then he wins, but oh, wait, now he’s “sick” after the challengers shrugged their shoulders and started lining up to fight him?

He’ll confirm it’s a sham if he doesn’t fight Woodley next. Bisping beat Rockhold in June. Two months later GSP entered USADA’s testing program. There are no dots to connect, it’s just one dot sitting there waving at everyone.

GSP is without any doubt an all-time great, but fuck that blatantly obvious, cherry-picking, legacy-polishing bullshit.

15. Qball1974

16. Cat--Smasher

GSP saw an opportunity and he took it. If he didnt, it would have been a stupid business move.

I blame the UFC for protecting a MW champ is so lacking in credibility, it tarnishes other fighters for beating him.

disposableassassin and thumper like this.
  17. Nebraska

It wouldn’t have been stupid for him to just leave that division alone like he did his entire career. But the timing of everything he did coincided with Bisping grabbing the strap.

disposableassassin and thumper like this.
  18. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

Again i say, GSP is still my favorite all time. BUT, this fight with Bisping and this title? Don't affect his 'legacy' any. the only way it could have is if he could have come back at the same level as he left off (wasn't even close) and beat someone that was just as much a threat as anyone he fought the last 4 years of his run (bisping? please).

He saw an opportunity to dig some quick cash out of a company starting to get really nervous with losing out on the big bucks they counted on with a network deal, and on the heels of a terrible PPV year sans one event.

And the worst part is the event still didn't even break 1m buys.

GSP saw a quick easy way to get a title and a big fat chunk of change. period. money in, money out.

19. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I guess my issue is the whole game UFC, and especially Georges, has played with the fans.

There was never any doubt (with me anyway) what this was. But UFC kept claiming a 3 fight deal. And GSp said the same things. Even immediately after the fight, Whitaker was the next fight, both sides said it. And less than 3 weeks later, not only is GSp not fighting Whitaker, he's not fighting at all.

He was brought back to sell tickets. He came back to make a quick buck. He had a no-lose situation. Lose at 185 and its been 4 years and a new weight class and he fought a champion. He couldn't tarnish his legacy that way.

But why treat your fans like this? Why mislead, and flat out lie, to them. Just say its one fight. And the next fight, if it ever happens, will be another PR fight simply booked to sell tickets. Georges didn't come back to compete. UFC didn't bring him in to compete. They both did this for the money. And that's fine with me. I can respect that from both sides. Just don't pretend that wasn't.

Goremire likes this.
  20. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Am I missing something? Where did GSP say he's retiring again? He's having some issues with colitis, which may be serious, but most likely he'll get treatment and be back to fighting in a few months.

He's only a month removed from his last fight, it's not like he's been on the shelf for a while and his future is all up in the air. Let the guy get healthy before expecting a confirmation on his next fight.

I don't think he'll defend the MW strap either, he'll probably fight woodley next for the WW strap, and hopefully win to set up his retirement fight with Conor as a champ vs champ fight provided he still has the belt as well. I'm sure that's on the UFCs radar if the timing works out and that finishes his 3 fight contract.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    Qball1974 and Cat--Smasher like this.