Dana White confirms GSP vs Diaz and Rockhold vs Gustafsson are targeted for UFC 227

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by thumper, May 8, 2018.

1. GangGreenWarrior

GangGreenWarrior Well-Known Member

Legit question: What does Nate do that Nick didn't that will give GSP problems? I see the gameplan being very similar with more leg kicks and maybe the overhand left that Connor used against Nate and GSP used against Shields.

2. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

UFC banking on that slight chance the weight cut goes horrible for GSP. If Nate beats GSP he is the GOAT killer beating both GSP and Conor (not that I think Conor is GOAT but we all know fan boys do). Nate vs Conor 3 would be that much bigger.

3. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I don't see it that way.

When you consider Bisping, Anderson, GSP, BJ Penn,Chuck, Coleman, Shamrock (Either), Wandi, Shogun, Chael, Tito, Roy Nelson, Fedor etc those legacies are done. Beating a GOAT when they're 10 years past prime is not the same, or even close to it. Those guys all have their legacies in tact. They all should be retired and I don't think any of their recent fights make much difference.

An example, I don't think anyone is going to top GSP as my favorite fighter of all time. But when he beat bisping that didn't make it any more of a clinch. He might be toying with all these belts but the last GSP fight was the one where he really should have lost to Juicy Juice Hendricks. When he left then that's how I'll remember him.

Whether Nate beats GSP or vice versa it won't change my mind for either fighter. GSP looked like a bigger, clunkier, slower version of his old self to me in that fight.

4. Cat--Smasher

That’s how you will remember GSP but that’s not how the UFC marketing machine will portray him.

Nate beating GSP would probably double his worth for a trilogy fight with Conor and if he beat Conor again...

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

My guess is they made this fight because it is one of the matchups either Georges proposed or that the UFC proposed that he found agreeable. It should generate a lot of buys, but it really seems set-up for Georges in every way. Nate likely agreed because of the name and value, and just doesn't give a fuck.

6. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Nate "line em up, I'll fight em" Diaz. He ain't scurred.
    But the price has to be right. I don't blame him. He fought for 17 and 17 enough times.

Poindexter likes this.
  7. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Was gross,

Roy got shitty pay too.

Kano and Poindexter like this.
  8. Kano

4 billion dollar company

Poindexter and Qball1974 like this.
  9. thumper

Oh no doubt. The WME version of the UFC has just shredded its ranking and title credibility. I swear I thought I was exaggerating when i said that they didn't care about titles. I'm not kidding when they told congress belts don't even reflect the best fighters in the division. But man, what i've seen? it almost looks like a money grab to suck the cash off the top to get those money fights in.

Now that's not true, it can't be. They spent WAY too much money and have way too many irons in the fire (managing most of the high profile fighters) but man it looks that way. you could see when the Fertitas did this too. They had a year when they had a bunch of really high profile fights, then next fiscal quarter they took hundreds of millions in dividend loans from the UFC. i can't remember the details. but that was about a year before we started hearing about how they were going to sell. although some people had that inclining for awhile before it was announced.
    --- Post Added -- May 9, 2018, ---
    Georges St-Pierre opens as modest favorite over Nate Diaz for possible UFC fight

The oddsmakers like Georges St-Pierre’s chances against Nate Diaz.

Then-UFC welterweight champion St-Pierre, who defeated Nate Diaz’s brother Nick Diaz via unanimous decision in 2013 at UFC 158, is now a favorite over the younger brother.

As reported on Tuesday, UFC President Dana White recently said the organization is targeting a fight between St-Pierre (26-2 MMA, 20-2 UFC) and Diaz (19-11 MMA, 14-9 UFC) for UFC 227, a pay-per-view event that takes place Aug. 4 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Now, the lines are opening for the possible matchup, and Bovada has listed St-Pierre as a -200 favorite over +160 underdog Diaz. (Note that the fights must happen in 2018, and depending on the sports book, the odds may have shifted slightly since their initial opening.)

As those current odds, a winning $100 bet on St-Pierre would result in a net profit of $50 (implied win probability of 67 percent) whereas as a winning bet on Diaz would score you $160 in profit (38 percent implied win probability).

St-Pierre closed as a small undersog in his most recent bout, when he returned from a four-year layoff to beat -120 favorite Michael Bisping at UFC 217. Diaz, meanwhile, was a +115 underdog to Conor McGregor in their second bout – despite winning their first meeting.

Earlier this month Diaz was reportedly was reportedly in “serious negotiations” for a UFC return. The polarizing fighter hasn’t fought since that majority-decision loss to McGregor in their rematch at UFC 202 in August 2016.

St-Pierre, meanwhile, has been sidelined with a medical ailment since beating Bisping at UFC 217 in November. He later vacated the belt, which is now held by Robert Whittaker, when his fighting future was uncertain due to health issues.

10. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Nate came up as a potential return fight for GSP before he fought Bisping. At the time, I heard some people claiming that Nate is a tougher matchup for GSP because he fights more at range than Nick does. I assume that's supposed to make the take down harder? The only other thing that I can think of is Nick's forward leaning makes him easier to jab than Nate. But, yeh, I feel like the weightcut is really the biggest change.

EDIT: I just remembered (I think) that Nate does better in the center of the cage than Nick, who does his best work against the cage. And you're not getting GSP trapped against the cage.

11. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

All bullshit aside, when it comes down to just the fight... I am excited! It will be interesting to see how GSP looks at LW and how it will play out against Nate. Should be a great show. Looking forward to Nate’s response when someone brings up GSPs win over Nick. The staredown will be epic. I hope they make some fireworks in the cage.

The fanboy in me back in the day would’ve loved to see GSP destroy Nate. Now I’d be happy to see this fight go either way. Imagine the younger Diaz coming in, clowning GSP, and then choking him out. Or if GSP could be the only one to bag both Diaz brothers on his resume. Either accomplishment would be legendary. Only hate that whoever loses will have to lose steam before fighting Conor next/again.

Qball1974 and Kano like this.
  12. thumper

I just don't see anything Nate can do taht Nick couldn't and that wasn't a close fight.

The problem is, Nate is only 33, while GSP is 36. To me that 3 years is a big difference. GSP has slowed pretty clearly. We haven't seen Nate for 2 years.

What to expect? I don't know. I just dont want to see GSP lose.

m1ckey kn0x, Noise and Qball1974 like this.
  13. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Has it been that fucking long,

I guess it true.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper,

the closer you get to the end the faster it goes.

14. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

15. Cat--Smasher

Kano and Afro like this.
  16. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

And here's Nate, right on cue!

17. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

18. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

What in the world is the original video?!

19. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Oh yeah. This is gonna be good. Nate is gonna go in hard on GSP leading up.

Kano likes this.
  20. Kano

Nate going to sell that fight.

Is GSP going to help?