1. Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time. "UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims started at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Dana White confirms GSP vs Diaz and Rockhold vs Gustafsson are targeted for UFC 227

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by thumper, May 8, 2018.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

DANA WHITE CONFIRMS GSP VS DIAZ AND ROCKHOLD VS GUSTAFSSON ARE TARGETED FOR UFC 227

Dana White has confirmed two huge matchups are being targeted for UFC 227 including Nate Diaz vs Georges St-Pierre.

Rumours of a Nate Diaz versus Georges St-Pierre fight have been doing the rounds in the MMA media over the last few days and UFC President Dana White has today confirmed that they are true.

Speaking on the UFC Unfiltered podcast earlier today, White confirmed that the UFC are targeting a lightweight bout between St-Pierre and Diaz. He also confirmed the rumours surrounding a potential fight between Luke Rockhold and Alexander Gustafsson which will take place at 205-pounds.

“It is true and they would fight at 155-pounds,” White said regarding St-Pierre vs Diaz.

“There are rumours, what did I see? That we were doing Gustafsson and Rockhold, that is true, but that’s not for the interim title, that’s false. It might be LA, I’m targeting LA.”

The UFC 227 card is set to be headlined by a UFC bantamweight title fight pitting champion TJ Dillashaw in a rematch with the man who he defeated for the belt last Nov. Cody Garbrandt. Though a lot of the fights are still yet to be signed, White revealed that the UFC are planning a massive fight card that would see St-Pierre vs Diaz occupy the co-main event slot.

“In my perfect world, if everything goes perfect, and nothing ever goes perfect in this world, [it will be] Dillashaw vs Garbrandt, GSP vs Diaz would be the co-main, Gustafsson vs Rockhold and Brunson vs Antonio Carlos Jr.

“It’s very interesting.”

UFC 227 will take place on Aug. 4 at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles, California.

Kano likes this.
  2. Fe1

Fe1 4 Division Champ

No fucking way
    --- Post Added -- May 8, 2018, ---
    How in the actual fuck does GSP make LW?

Mr. Cornute likes this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

GSP VS Nate Diaz as the co main? Get the fuck out of here

4. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Will be a great card and I bet Nate v. GSP will look more competitive than Nick did thanks to Nate's favoring a farther distance in his boxing range and GSP being longer in the tooth with lots of time off. That said, I couldn't care less about that fight.

It feels like they're just teeing up the winner for a fight with Conor. I wonder if they figure win or lose against Khabib, Conor versus either GSP or Nate does big numbers.

A little "fuck you" to both of them for being a pain?

5. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

No title on the line sir!

6. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

That's for GSP. He will be very depleted at 155. Needed to make it a three round fight.

Trodden, Malevolence and Fe1 like this.
  7. Dimson

They are also clearly trying to set up GSP v. Conor.

8. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

I cannot see Diaz/GSP as the co-main. At all. That fight as the headliner on it's own does minimum 500,000. Why make it three rounds and the fight before your fucking bantamweight division.

Bullshit.

Kano likes this.
  9. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

So I get that they are bigger draws, but are you more excited for that fight? I'm honestly not. TJ/Cody II is happening too quickly, they should have allowed the deck to shuffle a big, but at least it's high level, unpredictable, and relevant. GSP/Nate will be high level, but it seems like the biggest question is how GSP fights at a third weight class, not how these styles matchup, etc.

10. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

GSP vs Diaz-b is going to be a shorter version of GSP vs Diaz-a. The only advantage Diaz-b had was cardio, but if it's only 3 rounds then that's gone. The TJ/Cody II thing is what it is. They're the two best fighters in the division, run it back sure.

But a co-main Diaz-b/GSP ain't happening. Diaz isn't getting off the couch for anything less than 7 figures and a main event fight. And sacré bleu, you think GSP is gonna do a co-main? Le ego.

AnchorPunch and Afro like this.
  11. Fe1

Fe1 4 Division Champ

If GSP doesn't kill himself making the cut, how quick do you think they'll feed him to Khabib? If he wins he'd be the first ever 3 division champ and if he loses, Khabib's stock goes through to goddamn roof.

12. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

I thought GSP was out of commission for a year or two...................?

13. Fe1

Fe1 4 Division Champ

He has super human healing power like Wolverine... All Canadians do. Duh.

MacEwen, Trodden, Malevolence and 2 others like this.
  14. chuckthechamp

chuckthechamp #NinerEmpire

I doubt this goes as a co main..

Kevo likes this.
  15. Dimson

He must be a hockey player.

Trodden likes this.
  16. nbm02ss

nbm02ss Well-Known Member

If Conor wasn't a hothead in legal troubles I bet we'd be getting GSP vs. McGregor.

Trodden likes this.
  17. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

18. nbm02ss

Nah. GSP vs. McG does a bazillion PPV buys with, or without, the rub from a GSP v. Diaz fight.

Trodden likes this.
  19. Dimson

Yes. I agree. But this is a can GSP cut to 155 safely fight.

Qball1974 and Afro like this.
  20. nbm02ss

I imagine they already have some kind of assurance that GSP can actually make 155. I have no idea what that assurance would be, but something to make them think they're not going to be pissing away money promoting the fight.

Trodden and Qball1974 like this.