1. Nothing any good isn’t hard. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura.
Dismiss Notice
Pick a peck of pickled pick 'ems: UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura

Dana reacts to the Strikeforce Brawl

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by ChuckBooty 2.0, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ChuckBooty 2.0

ChuckBooty 2.0 The downgraded upgrade Site Donor

SOURCE

2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

I agree with the Gus Johnson thing, I couldn't believe he actually said that in mma these things sometimes happen. Other than that it's still painful to read Dana lately, poor stupid Strikeforce for not doing what the UFC wanted them to do.

3. ChuckBooty 2.0

He has a point though...why the HELL would CBS choose Elite-XC and then Strikeforce over the UFC? That's insane. That's like putting on Arena Football instead of NFL games.

4. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

Same reason the UFC couldn't broker a deal with HBO and ESPN, Dana is a giant control freak and ego maniac.

So you look at the people involved Sheilds will be going to the UFC as soon as his contract ends, Nate Diaz current UFC fighter. Gilbert Melendez the UFC wants him too. And of course Nick Diaz a former UFC fighter. Dana gonna act like somehow it's SF's fault that this has happened.

Dana can be the biggest douche sometimes. Dana just wants SF to fail which is bad for the fighters and the sport. All he cares about now is the money and not mma and the fighters.

5. ChuckBooty 2.0

It IS Strikeforces fault! Coker is full of shit talking about "nobody from MY staff let Mayhem in the cage.". REALLY? So if I was in the audience and I wanted to walk into the cage you think for a SECOND that I could have gotten in there? No fucking way!

And I will submit to you that no way in HELL this would have happened at a UFC event. These guys know better...they'd be cut in a SECOND.

Anyways...Dana said they had a tentative deal. Anyone know what the story was there? Was it just like Dana says and they just got "talked into" going with someone else?

6. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I hate when people bitch about the UFC wanting to controll what goes on with their company. Of course they want fucking controll, it is their event. So you are esentially you are saying you would turn over controll of your company to someone whoi probably doesn't even watch MMA? A sport and brand that you worked so hard to build? You must have went to The Coy Lewis School of Bussiness. You know the one, where you learn how not to make money.

7. foundstarr

foundstarr Inspector SpaceTime Site Donor

A deal couldn't be made because UFC wants to retain control and ownership of the product. Dana personally has very little to do with the decision to retain control. That would be a Ferttita call.
    The reason CBS and Showtime are showing StrikeForce is because they are currently part owners of the distribution and rights.

8. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

Tito does that shit all the time but the only difference the other guys camp never jumped him. It's the commission guys job to know who is coming into the cage.
    Nick Diaz did do this same thing but in a hospital and was cut, but that didn't stop him from getting into it, so it's not much of a deterrent.

Now what about Nate, shouldn't Dana now cut him and vow never to sign Melendez?

I have no problem with a fighter coming into a cage after a fight, Melendez and the Diaz's took it too far. I could diffidently see this happening in the UFC especially if you have the whole Caesar Gracie crew in there and especially if 3 of your 5 champs are team Ceasar Gracie guys.

9. ChuckBooty 2.0

I actually thought that Dana WOULD cut Nate. He was representing the UFC at that show and acted like a common gang-banger. I'm surprised that he did nothing to him.

10. The Sundance Kid

The Sundance Kid Outlaw Staff Member

Dana's deal with CBS got held up on the same premises that the HBO deal did.

CBS and HBO both wanted Creative control.

Dana is smarter than that, CBS would have made the UFC look just as back as Stikeforce.

They didn't want to use Rogan and Goldberg, they wanted to use there cameras, there directors, there everything.

Dana made the right decision, IMO.

11. ArMnHC

ArMnHC Great Chimdale County Man

no he shouldn't cut Nate and vow to never sign Gilbert! WTF is that all about?!

Nick did that cuz he's a loose canon and is uncontrollable. Dana says he likes Nick but Nick doesn't play ball, and thats the kinda shit he's talking about right there. Gilbert and Nate are classy guys, but looking up to a guy like Nick is kind of a kryptonite them. then shit like that takes place.

people want to hate Dana for being an egomaniac and a control freak and all that shit which is true. but nothing wrong with anything he said here. his product is superior! Gus Johnson is a f*cking idiot!

and anyone who really believes Coker had no part in that is delusional. he said he didn't even see it...WTF?! why was he not there to watch the fight? it's his f*cking show! he even said that a reaction like that would be expected from the Gracie camp...call me a conspiracy theorist, but that shit was planned, the try and use it as a way to keep Jake is Strikeforce. hoping he'll beg for a rematch with Miller! they don't want him to head to the UFC. they dont want him to have a mega-fight with GSP. anything they can do i guess.

i hope Jake shoves this whole thing up their asses and signs with Dana! :D

12. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

I don't think it was planned especially not to keep Shields around, he's gonna go were the money is no matter what, and SF still has him for 1 more fight anyway.
    SF can care less if Shields is gonna fight GSP, Coker is not Dana, he is not a petty megalomaniac. Everything Dana is Scott is the opposite.

13. Clint

Clint Administrator Staff Member

He has one more fight on his contract but it apparently expires in 2 months, so they don't really have time to get another fight out of him anyways.

14. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

Do you know Coker? I mean have you met him or more importantly have you done business with him? How do you knoww how he is behind closed doors? I mean is he the loud mouth extrovert that Dana is? Hell no. But that doesn't mean he is not a busiess man either. You can't tell me he is not going to do everything in the best interest of his company. Which is what Dana tries to do.

15. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist

Ever hear anything bad to said about the guy?, not much.

Of course he does what best for SF, but he is not setting up a confrontation between Miller and Shields in a effort to keep Shields around longer. He knows the writing is on the wall, the UFC can sign all his fighters if they wanted to.
    All he can do is offer open fight contracts and co-promotion deals, something the UFC will never do.

16. Clint

Interesting analysis - Fightlinker shows that Shields threw the first punches

17. groundgame

groundgame New Member

I never saw where people were talking about Nick,and Nate hitting him. I saw Nick,and Nate grab him. Could be wrong, but I didn't see them throw a punch.

18. Clint

It was when they panned to the shot from above where you can see them hitting him (I think it was them)

19. kc56

kc56 Free Dirty!

You can clearly see in the shot from above that as Mayhem is being held down, one of the Diaz brothers is repeatedly punching him in the spine/kidney area while the other Diaz is standing up and kicking him.

20. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

Yeah, you can clearly see Nate kcicking.....