1. The raw hunk of meat that used to be my enemy makes a sound, and I know where the mouth is. And I think the word he's trying to say is 'please'. Pity, not vengeance sends my fist flying into his skull. "UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims start at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt II.

Cruickshank's Tears Reduced By Half

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Poindexter, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

+

Agreed. Both the rules and the gloves should be changed.

- - - - - added to post - - - - -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

i see the point but they CANNOT change those rules. the moment you make a fight outcome something that is a variable is the moment you lose credibility as a commission. They can't take that chance

3. rivethead

rivethead Neg'd 4 Lyfe

I think you can change the rules, for sure...not necessarily having it be a subjectively-awarded win, but implementing new rules.

Specifically, if you have a guy who is habitually fouling people--Kongo, Jones, etc--tell them before the fight that they don't get warnings. First offense takes a point. If a second offense occurs in the same fight, it's a DQ.

rh

4. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

Daron Cruickshank's eye has permanent damage from Noons' eyepokes

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/...-from-noons-eyepokes-dog-attacks-car-accident

5. Dr. MMA

Dr. MMA Member

Agree. First, they need stricter penalties for eye pokes (e.g., max 1 warning then deducting a point OR deducting points immediately for the first foul either for all fighters or specifically for those who were previous offenders). Second, referees need to be consistent in implementing these penalties, i.e., all referees need to implement the one warning or immediate deductions similarly in similar situations. Currently there is a lot of variation in the implementation of eye pokes as well as other fouls, and that alone causes problems.

rivethead likes this.
  6. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

have there been any major eye pokes in bellator since the change? what is the UFC waiting for?

7. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I'm curious what the fighters have said about those gloves. Does it effect the ability to grip and grapple?

8. Noise

Noise Ruido

If I remember correctly, that fight was loaded with shit Noons should have had points taken away from. Cage grabbing, a prior warning (I think).

I just hate how your run of the mill, even well versed, MMA fan is so hesitant about calling out shit like hits to the back of the head and points being taken away.

Fence grabbing, punches to the back of the head (especially preceding the end of a fight), open palm swipes/strikes - Ref's, the media and fans should be quicker to call that shit out.

9. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

are open palm strikes a foul?

10. Noise

Noise Ruido

Swipes, like - Throwing your hand in an opponents face with your fingers extended. Repeatedly and shit, :rip:.

11. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I see what you mean.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  12. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

You shouldn't. He's a lunatic.

13. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

14. cnlclink

cnlclink Member

Can't disagree with riv but I do wonder how this may work with fighters that seem to fake being hit with a foul. Kos comes to mind for example. Instant replay for point deductions or elimination of point deductions?

15. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

That shouldn't be an issue refs don't call fouls that they don't see, at least they are not supposed to.

16. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Can't equate nut shots to eye shots because you can wear sack protection. Maybe fight goggles then?

17. sourdough

Wouldn't there be a risk of goggle fogging up and impeding fighters vision? I really don't think there is a perfect solution eye pokes. The UFC does need to bite the bullet and reach out to bellator to use their glove technology.

18. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Where there's a will, or a finger, there's a way. Goggles in their current incarnation would be a horrible nightmare but maybe there's a technical solution somewhere down the line.

19. sourdough

Covering the finger would help prevent injuries like Cruikshank's. It would atleast prevent the finger nail from cutting open flesh.

20. rivethead

rivethead Neg'd 4 Lyfe

deduct a point if the ref sees it, without a warning.
    there is a spectrum of how intentional an eyepoke might be--for every guy who says jones does it intentionally, there is a fan who says he's just sloppy. Faking a foul isn't sloppy. it's intentional.

correct.

rh