1. Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time. "UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims started at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Craigslist Is Shutting Down Its Personals Section

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by ATJ-Lucko, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion Survival Pool Champion

In response to the Senate passing H.R.1865, an anti-online sex trafficking bill that has the potential to seriously harm consenting, adult sex workers, Craigslist has shuttered its all of its personals sections. Even the platonic ones.

Early Friday morning, Craigslist made a public post regarding the bill commonly known as FOSTA (Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act) that explained the logic behind their decision to shut down one of the most widely-used subsections of the platform. The message was straight and to the point:

“US Congress just passed HR 1865, “FOSTA”, seeking to subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully.

Any tool or service can be misused. We can’t take such risk without jeopardizing all our other services, so we are regretfully taking craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day.

To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through craigslist, we wish you every happiness!”

In a post-FOSTA world, websites like Craigslist where sex workers commonly posted ads for their services would be legally responsible for the whatever kinds of illegal interactions users ultimately took part in.

In the most ideal of situations, a bill like FOSTA could play a role in fighting off sex trafficking. In reality though, the bill (as is the case here) is causing a chilling effect that gooses sites like Craigslist to close up at least part of their shop and actively hurts consenting sex workers who rely on the website. As drastic as it may seem, it’s easy to understand the why of Craigslist’s decision to avoid the consequences of FOSTA, but the question now is whether other sites frequently used by sex workers will follow suit.

We’ve reached out to Craigslist founder Craig Newmark for comment and will update if we hear back.

https://gizmodo.com/craigslist-is-shutting-down-its-personals-section-1824011480

gotta love small gov conservationism
    --- Post Added -- Mar 23, 2018, ---
    its gone in the states still up in canada

2. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

Why don't we just fucking legalize prostitution so this shit won't matter anymore?

ATJ-Lucko, Dimson and Kevo like this.
  3. Noise

Noise Ruido

Wives and weak men.

Dimson, ChuckBooty 2.0 and Kevo like this.
  4. unforgivn

unforgivn Nunquam Fidelis

It's 2018. Just phrase it as a women's rights issue.

Dimson, ChuckBooty 2.0, Miz and 2 others like this.
  5. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

So I don't know a lot about this shit..but...if the personals section is being used illegally by sex traffickers...why is taking it offline a bad thing?

6. disposableassassin

disposableassassin I'd like to introduce you to my replacement Site Donor

7. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

100 bucks is a lot of money these days.

8. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

Cause eliminating something is punishment to those that do use it for what it's intended.

It also doesn't really have an impact on sex trafficking just pushes it somewhere else .

9. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

by that logic banning all guns is OK since guns are used to kill children and high school students

people who want to do bad things with craigslist personals are going to find some other way, so its only hurting the 'law abiding' ones, just like the gun issue

Im not for banning guns, but if some people use something for a bad reason and then its OK to take it away for everyone, why are guns different?

it comes down to personal freedom. I refuse to have sympathy for someone driving drunk who dies in a wreck, but its stupid to ban alcohol

all the FOSTA does is cause sex traffickers to go somewhere else, and the people who use craigslist for legal shit are the only ones punished

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  10. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

How am I supposed to get laid now?

Dimson likes this.
  11. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Cats that don't run fast?

12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

what logic? I asked a question after saying I don’t know shit about this. So I’m not sure where you’re going with this other than a poor attempt at bringing up guns.

13. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

The language in the bill essentially opens the door for any website, forum, ad supplier, etc to be sued for the crimes committed by the end users.
    Its meant to punish shadow web groups from allowing human trafficking, but the potential to hold Craigslist and similar sites civilly and criminally liable for crimes is there in the language.

I don't agree either, and that's not the intent of the law. But the language is such that it opens the door. And we know that if there's the slightest chance that some lawyer can slip through a loophole, they will.

ATJ-Lucko and Noise like this.
  14. Trodden

I was trying to understand your reasoning

because

which comes down to personal freedom

which is what people who defend guns say

which is why people are pissed about this

someone does something stupid and the ones who dont have to be treated like those who do

just like guns, which is a current topic in the world, which is why I brought it up

I could have easily said tide pods

15. ChuckBooty 2.0

ChuckBooty 2.0 The downgraded upgrade Site Donor

Backpages or rubmaps.

But prostitution IS a womens rights issue. Stay out of my womb, right? There's absolutely no reason for it to be illegal and in fact, the fact that it IS illegal is the reason it's dangerous in the first place. I spent three years in Germany and went to the red light district almost every weekend. Never saw an issue. Never saw drug addicts. Never saw a prostitute being beaten (although I DID see drunk, unruly American soldiers getting tossed out on their heads daily).

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Noise and Trodden like this.
  16. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Ah I think I missed the amendment about sex trafficking. I’ll have to go back and read them again.

17. Trodden

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/thirteenth-amendment

18. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

19. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Now?

20. Trodden

a 'right'?

wtf are you saying?

people have a right to be sold into sexual slavery without their permission?

you understand the Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act isnt about prostitution right?

girls would go somewhere thinking they were taking modelling pictures or a date, then kidnapped and sold into sexual SLAVERY, which the 13th Amendment says is illegal

you're aware of that, right?

or are you saying youre OK with girls being sold to be raped?

not sure what youre even arguing, Craigslist didnt shut its personal section down for women WANTING to sell themselves for sex

but being sold against their will

its not the "Fight Online Prostitution Act", its the "Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act"

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/what-human-trafficking/federal-law