Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Poindexter, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Trump says U.S. in 'very good shape' on coronavirus. Health officials aren't so confident.

Let Us Count the Ways the Trump Administration Is Underprepared to Tackle the Coronavirus

2. Noise

Noise Ruido

The common flu – which kills 56,000+ people a year:

[​IMG]

Poindexter likes this.
  3. Poindexter

[​IMG]
    Coronavirus: CDC finds some test kits sent to states are faulty

Mr. Cornute likes this.
  4. Ct_L33T

Ct_L33T Well-Known Member

So much I'll advised opinions on this issue.

The #1 goal of public health is to protect the health/safety of a population. The spread of panic and fear is directly counter productive to this goal, in this regard Trump has actually done the right thing (in terms of public speaking). Without an effective solution prepared, raising awareness within the general public will result in chaos, making containment of the illness more difficult to contain.

Here's some facts about the virus. You can have it for up to 27 days without showing symptoms, yet you can still infect others throughout that time. The virus mutates rapidly (like the common cold) so an effective vaccine is unlikely.

Most likely China has been under reporting incidence rates in order to not cause panic within their country/economy, but global preparedness is largely influenced by social behavior and institutional backing. That's why China can build a massive medical center in a week and quarantine an entire city. That shit wouldn't fly in America.

These are the type of conditions that make an illness become a pandemic.

Mr. Cornute likes this.
  5. Noise

Noise Ruido

Malaria: 800,000/year.
    Heart disease (in America alone): 647,000/year.
    Cancer (in America alone): 156,000/year.
    Lightning: 24,000/year.
    From not wearing your seatbelt: 16,836/year.
    Falling coconuts: 150/year.
    Champagne corks: 24/year.
    Falling icicles: 15/year.

6. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Don't look into escalator accidents, that shit'll freak you out.

7. Poindexter

Trump has not spread fear, in that he hasn't shown much concern; however, he has given misinformation that hasn't been arrived at scientifically whatsoever: it's seasonal, the warm weather will be a remedy, it's going away, a vaccine is near, etc., while at the same time dismantling the government's institutional ability to respond to issues such as pandemics, etc. The long incubation, the lack of a vaccine, and the possibility that it is airborne, are the main concerns, is that correct?

Ct_L33T and Ninjastix like this.
  8. Ct_L33T

Yea. I was only referring to him doing the right thing by trying to keep the public calm. As far as his administration's handling of staffing/funding for our public health institutions, he has been terrible.

Warm weather will certainly decrease the prevalence of the virus, just like the common cold, but it won't remove it from the ecosystem entirely.

Keep in mind, America isn't the only authority on health. Every first world country's public health institutions are monitoring the disease and I think they are all very concerned.

This is my opinion mostly, but the way this virus propagates leads me to the conclusion that it will be amongst us indefinitely. Which is indeed terrifying.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Mr. Cornute likes this.
  9. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Poindexter and Kano like this.
  10. Ct_L33T

Can y'all imagine if they tried to quarantine an American city, say Atlanta? Shit, it would be absolute pandemonium; honestly, it's a state of emergency if we get just 1 inch of snow.

11. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

DEEP STATE!!!

12. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Silencing doctors while saying it's no big deal is some real China shit.

But it's nice to see Kristy Swanson working.

jesusatemyhotdog, Nebraska and Kevo like this.
  13. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Was that an Outbreak reference?

jesusatemyhotdog likes this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon Survival Pool Champion

I drank Corona once, and could immediately tell it would lead to viruses.

Trodden likes this.
  15. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

16. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

If only I was that cool. I've actually never seen Outbreak, I just know it as the "Outbreak monkey reference" movie.

Kevo likes this.
  17. Trodden

Trodden A terrible human being

Mike Pence is in charge now

I would tell everyone to start praying, but that would be as effective as putting Mike Pence in charge

jesusatemyhotdog, Poindexter and Kano like this.
  18. Noise

Noise Ruido

If this thing doesn't produce fanged zombies across our city streets, y'all and the media finna owe Abuelito Trump a motherfucking apology.

19. nbm02ss

nbm02ss Well-Known Member

What're the Vegas odds on a catastrophic outbreak? Daddy needs a ludicrously irresponsible personal loan, but I don't want to have to pay it back.

Kevo likes this.
  20. Ninjastix

Ninjastix The Fat Mamba Site Donor

You know it'd be far less of an issue in the US if there weren't so many uninsured/underinsured medically skeptical people. A developed nation with a national healthcare program doesn't seem like it'd have much to worry about. But the impact to the underinsured should it spread here will be costly.

It may not cost lives but it's gonna make the economy sick. No reason an issue like this should be politicized. Really wish those on either end of the spectrum could just hang out for a bit in closed garages with running cars.

Talk out your differences while it all goes black and leave the rest of us be please.

Kevo likes this.