Dismiss Notice
Bellator London YouTube Prelims: Link Main card begins at 5:00 PM ET on the Bellator App.

Conor McGregor vs Donald Cerrone set for UFC 246 Main Event on Jan. 18

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by S=E, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Anchorpunch

Anchorpunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Conor has also spoken multiple times about the need to rest after KOs. I believe he put into his calculation that Donald is coming almost 4 months after a KO.

And he's definitely gunning for the Masvidal fight.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  2. GangGreenWarrior

GangGreenWarrior Well-Known Member

I find it odd that the majority of people here haven't figured out that this qualifies as a "big fight". How does Cowboy do in big fights? By my count he's 0-all of them in big fights.

Kevo likes this.
  3. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Sadly true. It’s also another rare example of a non-title PPV main event. Unless of course they make up another BS title for it.

4. Sydman

Sydman Active Member

Its the interim BMF belt while Masvidal is off fighting for the welterweight championship.

Malevolence, Kano and NotSoDarkAngel like this.
  5. chuckthechamp

chuckthechamp #NinerEmpire

I get that on paper Cerrone should have advantages at 170..i somehow think though Conor is gonna tko him 1st round. Conor has pretty damn good tdd and Cerrone is slowing down considerably.

Anchorpunch likes this.
  6. Noise

Noise Ruido

Conor's speed is a huge danger for Cerrone, for sure. Particularly if he's stupid enough not to come in and try to wear Conor down with some type of grappling. I would not put dumb past Cowboy.

All he has to do is enlighten Conor on what it feels like to get those front legs kicked by a big motherfucking 170-lbs. mid-tier horse for him to be alright though.

I don't know. I'm really looking forward to it, though. We'll be due a 1) finish or 2) classic.

disposableassassin and Kevo like this.
  7. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

--- Post Added -- Dec 1, 2019 at 3:48 PM, ---
    [​IMG]

8. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

I wonder which cerrone we are going to get in this fight? Cowboy also holds the UFC record for choking in big fights

rivethead, thumper and Kano like this.
  9. thumper

thumper Picogrammar Staff Member

i wish i could see it another way, but the slow motion Cerrone I've seen the last 2 fights isn't going to win this one.

he's always looked a little slow because he's lanky and it looks slower, but he slowed down noticeably lately

EDIT:

If this Cerrone showed up it would be different

10. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

I doubt this is going the way Ariel expected it to.

92D45A3A-2358-4589-A2B8-2DCF0059CB80.jpeg

Noise and disposableassassin like this.
  11. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

That’s an easy one! Connor Cowboy is fun but Khabib Tony is life.

singinkangaroooo and Swiftboy like this.
  12. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

If Conor can fight one time in 3 years, spending the majority of that time doing cocaine and punching old folks that won't buy his whiskey, and still look like the same killer he was pre-Nate Diaz then he truly is Mystic.

13. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

*sobbing* "B-b-but guys, Conor's fighting!"

Nebraska likes this.
  14. Swiftboy

Swiftboy First Prestige

Am I the only one who thought Connor looked pretty good in the Khabib fight?
    I know he got knocked down and then later choked out, but still.

I know that's a fraught question to ask considering the strong emotions involved in that fight.

15. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

I thought he looked as good as he’ll ever look against Khabib. He moved well, he landed shots, and he made the takedowns tough to secure and score out of at times.

16. thumper

thumper Picogrammar Staff Member

claiming he wants to fight 3 times in one year looks more to me like he's needing money.

I agree. But I also think Khabib was much more effective on the feet than I expected.

Truth be told most of that was because Conor had to pay more attention to the take down attacks so he wasn't completely focused on striking, but there were times i thought Khabib did a lot better than anyone gave him credit for prior to the fight.

I still think Conor is very good but I don't think he looked any better in that fight than he did the previous couple. I don't think he's added much, and since I'd bet money he hadn't been in the gym since he last fought he's going to spend this entire camp (well most of it) working on TDD. The problem is, you don't get enough defense in a few months to beat Khabib's lifetime of work. Even knowing what he's going to do I don't think he can stop him.

Nebraska likes this.
  17. LebenTysonTank

LebenTysonTank Well-Known Member

I guess I'm always the one known for saying what is viewed as some outlandish shit,but I think considering the long layoff/ring rust factor,the loss of hunger/love for the game,and the level of competition,Conor actually looked pretty damn impressive against Khabib.

I honestly don't share the sentiment that it's straight up impossible that after Conor gets 2 or 3 fights under his belt,is in top shape,studies the mistakes he made in the first fight,and gets laser focused on the rematch,that it's impossible for Conor to beat Khabib the next time they fight.

2 things that even the biggest Conor hater has to admit that work in Conors favor are that:

1. Conor has a VERY HIGH fight I.Q. and learns from his mistakes. Obviously the most sufficient evidence would be seeing the difference from the first Nate Diaz fight to the second one. If you're being honest with yourself I'd bet that you thought Conor winning the rematch with Nate looked pretty hopeless as well.

Conor is a very astute student of the game and is very talented at finding a fighters weaknesses and holes in there game and capitalizing on them.

2. You have to admit that in correlation to the first point, is that Khabib is very predictable to game plan for. It's not like Khabib is going to surprise everyone and come out with a Masvidal flying knee to take Conor out as his gameplan in the rematch. It's fairly obvious what Khabib is going to try to do. I think now that Conor has actually FELT Khabib and his strength and pressure,he knows exactly what he has to stay away from doing.

The thing is with Khabib and his predictability is like what Mike Tyson said when Razor Ruddock called him predictable), "Yeah so is a hurricane predictable,but what can you do about it?"

I think that Conor gains a lot more as far as knowledge and experience for what to do in the rematch than Khabib does. Conor has the ability to completely switch things up on Khabib and pull out a few tricks that Khabib isn't expecting to be successful.

18. Swiftboy

Swiftboy First Prestige

Same same.

And I re-watched the fight a couple months ago, and tried to really watch carefully. I actually feel like Connor had to momentum going in his direction right up until the takedown that lead to the finish. If I remember correctly he had thwarted several takedowns that round, all using the same technique. Then he lost focus for a second, made a mistake, Khabib capitalized, game over.

Connor has said as much in interviews, which is what made me look for that mistake so carefully (it was some type of underhook or something that he put his hand/arm the wrong way, I saw it when I was looking for it). But he also is Connor so it came off like a bunch of complaining and excuses.

I favoured Khabib that night and I would favour him again in a rematch, but I don't think it's outlandish to think Connor could win or once again make it competitive.
    And his lifestyle could easily lead to quickly deteriorating skills and conditioning, but I don't think he's shown anything like that to date.

I have it as a top notch win for Khabib, rather than him exposing Connor.
    Anyway, I'd be excited for a rematch if Connor ever gets one, is really my only point.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  19. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

I would have to re-watch. I felt like McGruber had chances in the fight, but overall looked not as sharp or as motivated as he had been a few years ago.

LebenTysonTank and Swiftboy like this.
  20. disposableassassin

disposableassassin Mutatis Mutandis Site Donor

I remember three things from that fight clearly;
    1. Mac's lead leg was miles in front of him
    2. Mac looked a little slower than I was used to
    3. Khabib crushed his head

Malevolence, Kano and Poindexter like this.