Conor McGregor Pulled From UFC 200

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by chuckthechamp, Mar 13, 2016.

?

Are you happy that McGregor's next opponent is Diaz?

1. No, it should have been Edgar

40 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. Yes

6 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. No, it should have been Aldo

9 vote(s)
    15.3%
  4. No, it should have been (other)

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

Magny who's 10-1 since 2014 and Woodley who's 3-1 since 2014....Magny damn sure has earned it.

Frankie likes this.
  2. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

7 vs 3...

Doesnt seem all that far fetched.

3. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Quality beats quantity. He himself said he wants a top 5 opponent.

Woodley isn't doing himself any favours by sitting on his ass watching the title picture. He is going to get passed by with Condit, Thompson and MacDonald rounding out the top 5.

Mr. Cornute and chuckthechamp like this.
  4. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Nope. I'm with Woodley here. He was told "win it and you're in". He won it. He's gonna wait until the shot comes to him. Don't put it out there if you ain't gonna back it up.

5. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

It is a rarity that sitting out and depending on the UFC's word results in a title fight. It's his fault when he gets passed over imo. Complacency gets people nowhere.

Amlap likes this.
  6. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Let's be real here.....

Woodley's wins are certainly lacking in WOW. The Condit win was due to injury, it was a close fight while it lasted, but its not like either guy was way ahead.
    He beat an over matched Gas on a bad tank and missing weight. That fight should have never been made in the first place, but woodley won, although he didn't exactly look spectacular.
    He looked great beating Stun Gun, who is a legit top 10 fighter.
    Lost to Rory and to Shields (and yes he lost that fight, he looked like hot garbage)
    Its not his fault Hendricks blew his weight. And its not his fault that a title shot was on the line there.

But, when we pull the curtain back on the WW division, can we honestly say that anyone has done enough to warrant a title shot? NOPE. Does Woodley make the most sense at this point? YUP.

Condit and Rory both had their chances, and while epic fights, they lost.

Wonderboy needs another top 5 win. Magny needs a great performance against a top 5 guy to secure a shot. They don't seem to want Maia anywhere near the title picture looking at the fights he's been given.

Like it or not Woodley is the only logical choice. Condit is 2-4 in his last 6 and its not like he's a Diaz and fans fork over their money to watch him fight, although he's a great fighter. But how do you justify 2-4 in a title fight? Rory absolutely has a claim to the shot. But he's had it already. One more win and he can get another one.

Pip Pounded my Pooper likes this.
  7. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

If they book the fight today, I completely agree that Woodley is the logical choice. I think it will be Lawler/Woodley. Now, Woodley is hedging his bets that Lawler does not get injured.

The way Woodley loses the title shot is if Lawler doesn't fight for another 6 months. I can see them hyping the winner of MacDonald/Thompson hard. The Rory rematch is definitely saleable given the last match. If it's Thompson, they have plenty of highlight reels to combine with a raspy, intense, low voice for some promos.

kanobro likes this.
  8. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Woodley isn't getting a title shot next. If you're DW and Joe Silva and you're planning Lawlers next fight, are you going to go with a guy who has made a hardline stance against fighting anyone else but Lawler, who hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the process or are you going with Condit again who is an easy sell from an entertainment standpoint who arguably just beat the champ and lost a razor thin decision? That rematch is easy to sell and both guys are calling for it.

Condit/Lawler 2 is going to be booked for UFC 200, write it down. Woodley absolutely should be booked against Magny. That's a perfect fight for the both of them.

9. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Faber says he advised McGregor to 'work on his jits'

UFC's Jon Anik: I'd like to see Conor McGregor vacate the 145 title

10. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

11. S=E

Wonder boy needs another top 5 win and Magny needs a top 5 win but Woodley makes sense with no top 5 wins? Makes sense.

12. Mr. Cornute

Mr. Cornute Prince of Saiyan...stuff.

I actually like this card. The only thing that I would change is Ryan Bader v OSP II & Woodley v Lawler if he is available.

13. helipoison

helipoison Well-Known Member

14. The Tyrannical Teabag

The Tyrannical Teabag Active Member

They said 150 was going to be comparable to 100 when they announced it and it was dog shit.

15. dan the man

dan the man Gina Carano's personal sex slave

Bad fucking move for McGregor. The loss certainly took some of the wind out of his sails, and if he loses to Nate again, the hype train may come to a complete halt. He should be defending his belt, or vacating it - one or the other. As far as moving up weights, he should go no higher than LW, as he needs to maintain reach advantage to give him his edge. Just my $0.02.

16. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Condit & Stun Gun have been top 7 guys for years.

17. Amlap

Amlap Could have won state

He doesn't deserve it, he isn't the best. I don't even think he is top 5

18. S=E

The Condit win was flukey, you said so yourself. And Stun gun isn't top 5. You call for guys to fight top 5 guys when Woodley isn't beating top 5 guys.

19. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Who else has a top 5 win and hasn't fought for a title?

We can break it down on resume (again) and whether you like it or not, Woodley is the only choice of fighters that hasn't already had their shot at the title. Yeah the Condit win was flukey, but that's the nature of the sport.

Who else can make a claim to the title shot that hasn't already gotten one?

20. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Survival Pool Champion Site Donor

Wonderboy has just as much claim to a title shot as Woodley. He didn't just beat a top 5 guy but a top 2 guy that most people think should still be champ and the number 1 welterweight. He destroyed Hendricks as well. I would say Woodley is the most deserving fighter that isn't booked and he makes the most sense for Robbie to fight at UFC 200.
    The Condit win was a great win. Condit might have suffered a freak knee injury but he was getting outclassed and whooped on the entire fight.