1. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 123: Swanson vs. Ortega" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Conor McGregor, Max Holloway trade shots on social media

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Dec 3, 2017.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

that's what I've been saying for years. If you're champ and you're not injured, you must defend the belt every year, and if you refuse to fight a contender you're stripped. period

Kevo and Qball1974 like this.
  2. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

Even if you're injured you should be stripped in my opinion. I am not a fan of Interim belts at all. So, if you cant/wont defend your belt in a 12 month period then you lose your belt. Period. You get first crack at it once you're back. No more fucking interim "champs"; such horse shit. You're either the "real" champion or not one at all.

Malevolence and Qball1974 like this.
  3. thumper

I don't know, there are times i think it's fair to give injured champs time to heal. but there should be a time limit, and not just arbitrary based on 'who' it is.

There should be no such thing as interim fights unless the champ is injured within that clause.

Now I've been bitching saying the ufc can't do this, and the Ali Act would force it (which i DO want to happen). but more so that this, the UFC could easily follow a model where there are prize fights like they do now, to bring up big shows, but they could still force the champs to fight and make the belts at least a little legit.

With what they said to congress though they have no intention of caring about the belts/titles and they are only interested in the prize fighting. so they've de-legitimized it themselves.

B ut if the ali act came in, THEN we could see who the real champs are. Most likely almost all of them would be UFC guys, but it would allow other orgs to force that pie to slice up some, and they could have legitimate interim fights then actually have the ONLY 'undisputed' champ. Had they gone this way, the stuff with Ben Askren wouldn't even be questioned. he could have stayed in Bellator, or went ahead to OneFC and fought for the championship against any other title holder.

See I think different than most of the people. i think if the ali act came in, not only would the talent get to see the reality of their worth, but it would let places like WSOF, Bellator, OneFC etc get some of that pie, and make the entire landscape of MMA better for the fans, and especially better for the fighters.

4. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

Its harsh because injuries are a part of the game but it is what it is. Im 100% against Interim belts/fights.

Admittedly I dont know much about the Ali act but im hesitant to replicate anything that boxing does.

Cross promotions makes all of the sense in the world when it comes to fans, fighters, and smaller promotions but when you're at the top of the totem pole with little to gain and a shit ton to lose ala the UFC; it makes very little sense.

5. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Only time an Interim Belt should be created is if the champion is dealing with a serious injury or illness, but there is a set timetable for return (Cruz's ACL).

Refusal to accept a fight (not actually fight the fight) against a top 3 ranked contender, within 6-8 months should be grounds for being stripped.

I have no problem for guys cleaning out a division and then sitting back or going looking for money fights (see Anderson Silva).

Personally I have an issue with any fighter ranked outside of the top 5 getting any sort of title shot, regardless of whether the champion has cleaned out the division or not (too many examples to cite)

6. thumper

yeah i agree with all of those. except the #5 guy getting a shot. he can still get it, but #4,3,2 and 1 would all have to be out. So this brings up the next question.

to me it should be cut and dry. champ is available, #2 gets asked, then #3. etc.

but here's where i'm not sure what i think is fair. What do you do if #1 declines? i have the same problem all the way up and down the top 10. it should be the same. #1 challenger must face the champ right? so what do you do if he declines? you can't take his rank away, that's not established by you. So what do you do with the guys that don't have a belt that decline up? there has to be contingency and while I agree the leeway should be eliminated for the champ, where do you draw the line?

doing this method it all becomes a ladder. so if #1 delined a title fight he'd have to drop below the fighter that took the fight.

so let's say #1 delined,#2 took it, the guy that declined would have to drop back 1 spot

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017 at 4:24 PM
  7. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Max will fuck McGruber where he poops.

8. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

Nope. You're wrong. It is Conor "the 2 division champ does what the fuck he wants" McGregor that would do the poop chute fucking.

9. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

His mouth? That's seems to be where all his shit comes spewing out.

kanobro, Malevolence and Poindexter like this.
  10. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member Survival Pool Champion

Conor McGregor Lets It Be Known That He’s Not Done Fighting

11. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

I would love to agree but the way Max leads with his chin makes me have doubts, Conor blasts guys with 4oz gloves on. Max has definitely improved since the last fight, it’s be huge if it happens, can’t see Conor going down to FW when he can get the same money cutting to LW.

Poindexter likes this.
  12. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you missed the sarcasm in the original post or if you think critiquing Conor's lack of defenses is idiotic...

13. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Holy fuck what a headkick

14. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

OOO it was a knee. Beautiful shot. I'm sad for Aljo, but great win for that other dude.

shit wrong thread

Cat--Smasher, Poindexter and Dimson like this.
  15. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Exactly how I feel lol

16. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Max gets into round three, it's his. Not bad odds, IMO.

thumper likes this.
  17. thumper

I have to agree with this
    --- Post Added -- Dec 10, 2017 at 4:31 AM, ---
    if max wants to really come across like he means what he's saying about him being the 'champ', and not an interim champ, he should say one thing. 'conor doesn't matter here anymore, he's not the champ' and stop. Move on, and that's all he needs to say when asked the next time, and tell them to stop asking.

it's all the reasons he comes up with that make it obvious it's bothering him.