1. If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by. "UFC on ESPN+ 9: Iaquinta vs. Cowboy" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 5:00 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Leben vs James Toney Bare knuckle boxing 205 Lbs.

Discussion in 'MMA DREAM MATCHES' started by LebenTysonTank, Apr 11, 2019.

1. LebenTysonTank

LebenTysonTank Active Member

OBVIOUSLY I'm a huge Chris Leben fan,always have been. I have really enjoyed his recent comeback into the new sport of Bare knuckle boxing. I feel like BKB is set up in a way that is incredibly suited towards and plays to all of Lebens strengths,and to none of his weaknesses. The fact that you can actually grab your opponent behind the neck with one hand,and then punch them with the other hand gives Leben (imo) a huge advantage against anyone he fights because he can hold them in place while he just unloads that nuclear bomb left hand.

I have also really been digging the whole BKB format,and the fact that it attracts MMA fighters,kickboxers,and pro boxers,and pits them against each other in a very unique and interesting way. For example I think that many of us assume that Paulie Malinaggi is going to absolutely slaughter Artem Lobov if/when they fight in BKB.

The thing is though the way the sport is set up it presents such a huge factor of the unknown that it makes these fights incredibly unpredictable. So how about a legend of professional boxing who boxed at the highest levels of boxing in multiple weight classes James "Lights out" Toney vs. Chris Leben.at 205 Lbs.?? How would that look?

Would Toneys high level and superior boxing skills be able to do non stop damage to Leben? Or would the x factors like the clinch/dirty boxing be able to help Leben put Toney on the ropes,trap him and just unload left hands at will on him?? Of course I'm gonna go with my boy Leben by way of dirty boxing TKO.

I think that Toneys insanely good and unorthodox defensive and countering skills give Leben problems for awhile,but Leben eventually gets Toneys back to the ropes,also Toney always had a strong tendency to put HIMSELF and back against the ropes and just shoulder roll and counterpunch off the ropes for entire rounds,I think that spells his downfall in this fight. Thoughts?

2. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Tony mercs Leben.

Dimson likes this.
  3. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Wtf JT will kill him. Would not even be competitive. Death sentence possibly.

Kano and Miz like this.
  4. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

What if James Toney had to where Hulk hands?

Dimson and Kano like this.
  5. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Still no chance for Chris

6. helipoison

helipoison Well-Known Member

Depends on what kind of shape Toney comes in at. Leben has looked in shape and has been training hard. Toney always was a little suspect with his training and he's been out of the ring for 2 years solid. He's only fought 4 times in the last 5.5 years and didn't look great in any of them. His age really isnt helping him either. I loved James going all the way back to his fights against Iran Barkley and his 2 losses to Montell Griffin, but I am not sure he has enough in the tank left to handle Leben, and I think father time has come a calling on him.

rivethead and LebenTysonTank like this.
  7. LebenTysonTank

I couldn't have said it better. I think that Toneys age and time out of the ring are THE BIGGEST contributors of the fight,and why he loses. No doubt that his skill level is unquestionably high,I think he's one of the greatest of all time,and honestly criminally under rated as far as ranking some of the pound for pound best to ever do it. His style was so slick and hard to deal with for 99% of boxers. Another huge component that puts this particular fight in Lebens favor is the Bare Knuckle format/ ruleset. Leben would push the boundaries in this fight and do about as much grappling that is legally allowed,which is WAY MORE than a real pro boxing bout with gloves. I think Leben would bully him with the grappling,probably use a Greco style clinch to push him around and to the ropes and slip in those left hooks and uppercuts while hanging on his neck. Toney isn't used to someone being able to legally just hang on his neck and hold his head still while punching. Leben by TKO Rd 3

8. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

a 50/51 year old punch drunk Toney vs a 38 year old less punch drunk Leben?

I'd watch, for sure, but, meh, ultimately.

9. LebenTysonTank

I'd ask for what your basis would be for thinking that Leben has any less of an iron chin then he always has?

I honestly think that Leben is in the best shape of his life,and also is also quite possibly probably the best fighter he ever was.

10. strife

strife I

PRIDE never die

11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

12. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

What is your basis for him being the best fighter he’s even been? He’s pretty much just came forward punching with minimal head movement and footwork. Baroni wasn’t in the fight and just clinched anytime they were close

PicogramPenis and Poindexter like this.
  13. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Dang he’s only 38??

14. LebenTysonTank

Valid points,and you'd be correct to form that conclusion based on the evidence of only his two bareknuckle fights,that these fights alone are not enough evidence to prove that he's the best fighter that he's ever been. Being the Leben the fan that I am,I follow him on social media,and YouTube. He has been posting "MacLife" style training videos all throughout both training camps. Plus just the knowledge of other things that he has said about the caliber of his recent training opponents.

Here is one video of him and Sokudjou (Remember him?) Boxing/sparring at 100% for Lebens Baroni fight and he looks pretty damn good technique wise. In some regard it's the same old Leben,walking forward hands down,chin down biting down on his mouthpiece and throwing his left hooks/uppercuts with no regard for his own safety just trying to bait someone to be dumb enough to jump into the storm with him and bang. But he has actually learned how to be a good counterpuncher and how to throw power shots/counter punches going backwards.

15. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

I didn't imply that Leben has any less of an iron chin.

My implication is that Toney is well beyond the stage where he should be competing in a combat sport, and, while Leben is a step or two behind where he was in his best time.

16. rivethead

rivethead Neg'd 4 Lyfe

How in the fuck is Toney supposed to make 205? He was 250 a year ago, in his "final retirement" fight. He was 240 against Couture ten years ago.

If someone had a magic wand that could get Toney into LHW shape, I think he mercs Leben. I'm assuming the cardio and conditioning necessary for such a drastic drop would bring back his muscle memory. Leben started a brawler, and developed more skill towards the twilight of his career, but on his absolute best day, his boxing can't be compared to Toney's absolute worst day. Toney was goose grease slick. Sure, he's 10 years older than Chris, but Chris' penchant for self abuse and self destruction has put more miles on him than Toney, not to mention the wars Leben has been in.

I think it's a pipe dream to consider Toney at LHW...but if you ever got him there, your boy wouldn't want any part of him.

rh

Miz, Poindexter, Afro and 1 other person like this.
  17. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Honestly this isn’t even competitive if they fight lol I don’t even understand this ha.

rivethead, Poindexter and Afro like this.