Chael Sonnen vs Tito Ortiz 2 looks to be in the works for Bellator

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by LebenTysonTank, Jan 10, 2019.

1. LebenTysonTank

LebenTysonTank Well-Known Member

Morning Report: Despite retirement, Tito Ortiz planning a rematch with Chael Sonnen
    By Jed Meshew@JedKMeshew Jan 10, 2019, 8:00am ESTSHARE
    [​IMG]

Tito Ortiz is a legend of MMA. One of the first long-reigning champions in UFC history, Ortiz became one of the sport’s first big stars, built on the back of trash talk and blood feuds. And even at age 43, with the best years of his career behind him, Ortiz is still pioneering, being the first fighter to still be actively competing while being retired.

Retirements in combat sports, and MMA in particular, are notoriously short-lived, but Ortiz is taking it to a new level. Despite “retiring” two years ago when he submitted Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170, Ortiz recently took a revenge fight with Chuck Liddell, knocking out his former foe in the first round. Now, Ortiz is looking to settle affairs with Sonnen one more time, all while remaining retired.

“[Chael] started it,” Ortiz told TMZ Sports recently. “As Chuck started it. And Chuck only lasted what, four and a half minutes? He called me out man. I’m gonna stay in retirement. I’m still gonna stay retired, and I’m gonna smash Chael. I’m not gonna choke him, I’m not gonna submit him, I’m gonna smash him. I’ll put a show on for every one of the fans. That’s what I’m gonna do.”

Sonnen and Ortiz have been sniping at each other over social media recently, laying the groundwork for a rematch of their first bout, which was surprisingly non-competitive. But, after losing to Fedor Emelianenko in the semifinals of the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix, Sonnen is without an obvious next dance partner and Ortiz still carries some level of star power. Ortiz is only too happy to oblige him.

“This guy has a loud mouth,” Ortiz said. “I’m gonna shut him up. Like I say: I’m not gonna choke him, I’m not gonna submit him, I’m gonna pummel him for three rounds. And give the fans what they want to see, and that’s a great fight.”

As for where the proposed bout will happen, Ortiz’s brief time with Golden Boy MMA seems to be over, with “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” saying the fight would most likely come under the Bellator banner and that he is pushing for a fight at the Mecca, Madison Square Garden so he can make some more history.

“I don’t know [where],” said Ortiz. “I’ve never fought at Madison Square Garden, so possibly Madison Square Garden. That’ll be the first thing.

“I was the first UFC fighter – mixed martial artist – to ever fight in California. First one. First one to fight in Las Vegas. First one. First one to fight in Florida. First one. So, I’d like to just add to my repertoire of being able to go to Madison Square Garden and fight. Where the greatest have fought. People like Ali, people like Frazier, people like Foreman. Just to do something great for mixed martial arts, at the expense of Chael Sonnen.”

Chael Sonnen issues challenge to ‘stupid’ Tito Ortiz
    By
    Tom Taylor
    -
    January 7, 2019
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Added -- Jan 10, 2019, ---
    Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz have already fought once, in January of 2017, but apparently, their beef is not yet settled.

Since their first fight, which Ortiz won via first-round submission, the pair have continued to go back and forth, raising question as to whether we might see them fight again.

The latest shot in this ongoing rivalry was fired by Sonnen.

Speaking on Twitter on Sunday night, the three-time UFC title challenger took to Twitter where he once again challenged Ortiz to a fight.

“Hey stupid, [Tito Ortiz] straight up. Do you want to fight or not?” – Chael Sonnen on Twitter.

Tito Ortiz last fought in November, in the main event of the debut show from Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy MMA, when he picked up his first, long-awaited win over Chuck Liddell with a first-round knockout. His next most recent fight was against Sonnen. The former UFC light heavyweight champion and UFC Hall of Famer is 20–12–1.

Chael Sonnen, meanwhile, is 31-16-1. He last fought in October, in the main event of Bellator 208, when he was stopped by heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko in the second round of Bellator’s Heavyweight Grand Prix. This loss was preceded by consecutive defeats of MMA legends Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Wanderlei Silva.

Do you want to see Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz fight again?

This article first appeared on BJPENN.COM on 1/6/2019.

2. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

And the crowd goes....meh

3. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

No thanks.

Miz likes this.
  4. LebenTysonTank

I personally VERY MUCH want to see this fight for a couple reasons. 1. I believe Chael when he says that Tito did a Brazilian tap. 2. I'm pissed and heartbroken about Tito knocking out Chuck. 3. I hate Tito. 4. I'm a big Chael Sonnen fan. 5. I don't want Tito to be able to go away on a win. 6. I believe that Tito beating Chael was an absolute fluke due to Chaels ring rust,I think a more prepared Chael smashes Tito,and if he does that,I feel like all is right in the world again.

Malevolence and m1ckey kn0x like this.
  5. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Relevant.

Poindexter likes this.
  6. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Sigh

I’ll watch but if Sonnen loses to Tito twice, he can go fuck himself for giving Tito another win on his record.

7. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Meh is right.

No one gives a fuck about these two fighting.

8. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

Oh I just can’t wait...

9. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

I'd rather see Tito rematch against that other Team Quest alum he's fought before, which even in 2019 would have more interest and likely, relevance.

10. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Tito is 4-1 in his last 5 fights... something I never thought I would be saying in 2019

chuckthechamp and m1ckey kn0x like this.
  11. m1ckey kn0x

m1ckey kn0x deranged derelict Site Donor

Proof the end of times are coming.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  12. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

I didn't know you were such a Matt Lindland fan

13. Noise

Noise Ruido

A sequel to the first fixed piece of shit; Coker Hollywood Production eyeing a trilogy DVD box set for these clowns, of course.

disposableassassin likes this.
  14. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

if this isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel I don't know what is

15. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Survival Pool Champion Site Donor

Tito's last fight

Nebraska, thumper, Poindexter and 4 others like this.
  16. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

[​IMG]

17. S=E

S=E 5x Pick 'Ems Winner Site Donor

And that Chael holds wins over Wanderlei Silva, Quinton Jackson and Shogun Rua.

#PRIDENEVADIE

18. LebenTysonTank

Chael P. Sonnen,the P. stands for UNDEFEATED.
    --- Post Added -- Jan 11, 2019, ---
    Was just looking over Chaels MMA record...listen to how impressive this resume of wins is,Chael has beaten: Jason "Mayhem" Miller, Renato "Babalu" Sobral,Wanderlai Silva, Rampage Jackson,Brian Stann, Michael Bisping,Yushin Okami,Amar Suloev,Nate Marquardt,Dan Miller, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Trevor Prangley,Jason Lambert,Tim Creduer,and possibly the most impressive... Paulo Filho.

If you don't know who Paulo Filho is,which may be likely if you started watching MMA after 2005/2006. Paulo Filho was ranked as either the #1 or #2 middleweight in the world for YEARS starting from maybe a year or two before Anderson Silva came to the UFC and was on his tour de force of dominance as UFC middleweight champion.

At the time while Anderson was at the top of the UFC,Paulo Filho was equally as dominant as the middleweight champion of the WEC,and by the time Filho defended his MW championship against Chael,Paulo was Undefeated with a record of 16-0.

The only reason he wasn't in the UFC was because him and Anderson Silva were training partners and close friends. The other reason was that the UFC was trying to have the WEC be seen as super legitimate and parralel with the UFC talent wise.

The UFC had bought and now owned the WEC and it's main purpose was being used to mostly showcase the 135 Lb. and 145 Lb weight classes because back then at the time the lowest weight class in the UFC was 155. Urijah Faber was the long time dominant 145 Lb champion and also a legit big name main event fighter of the WEC.

The WEC had 135,145,155,170,185, and 205. The 155,170,185,and 205 weight classes were being used as kind of a farming system to develop talent for the UFC.

Except that in the case of 185 they had Paulo Filho as the champ,who was regarded as the second best MW in the world behind Anderson Silva.

Well Chael went on a really impressive win streak and was just beating guys down,he had finally put all of his skills together and was looking like a top 5 MW in the world,so he got a title shot at Paulo Filho.

Strangely enough,the fight literally went down almost EXACTLY like the first Chael vs Anderson Silva fight that would happen like two years later.

Chael shocked everyone by just charging at Filho like an angry bull and taking him down at will over and over again and brutalizing him with high paced ground and pound for almost the entire 5 round title fight..until with I think about 2:30 left in the 5th round,Paulo,who was on his back battered and exhausted,somehow pulled a miracle armbar submission...BUT Chael actually didn't tap out! He was JUST ABOUT TO,but he only tapped ONCE,and then quickly drew his hand back,but the Ref stopped it anyways.

So naturally they had an immediate rematch, and in that rematch Chael absolutely DOMINATED Filho EASILY to a lopsided unanimous decision...but there was only one problem...Filho missed weight so it technically wasn't for the MW title!! Filho felt so bad that he screwed Chael out of becoming a world champion that he actually mailed Chael his Championship belt in the mail to Chaels house.

Fucked up huh?? Chael has a highly goddamn impressive resume of wins in his career,and if you look at his losses they are honestly pretty fuckin impressive in there own right.

Considering that it just adds to the fact that Chael has literally fought the best of the best in the world. His losses are: Fedor, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Rashad Evans,Jeremy Horn, Forrest Griffin,Damien Maia,Terry Martin,Renato "Babalu" Sobral, Trevor Prangley,Paulo Filho... It's kind of a weird list in some spots.

If you'll notice some of the same guys he has on his resume of wins he also has on his resume of losses LoL. He lost to Terry Martin because after pretty much beating Terry up and having his way with him in the first round, in the last 20 seconds of the round,Chael had him in the Thai clinch throwing knees and Terry (who has insane punching power) threw a hook to the ribs of Sonnen and the combination of Chael turning his body at the exact wrong time and Terry throwing a home run punch at the exact spot,it broke one of Chaels ribs and it was VISIBLY POKING OUT

. Chael went back to his corner and you could see the anguish and extreme pain on his face,but he decided to man up and say fuck it and go out and try to keep fighting and came out for the second round. But it was effecting him badly,all Chael could literally do was pull guard and try to protect his rib. Second round ends and his corner stopped the fight in between rounds.

Anderson Silva...well we know what happened there .. TWICE. People always talk about the first fight and how Chael smashed him and got inches away from being world champion.

No one ever really talks about the second fight though,and how Chael got straight up fucked over about 6 different ways because Anderson CHEATED. I will gladly show you exactly what it is that I'm talking about if I can find the fight.

The loss to Fedor...I mean Chael is a goddamn 185 Lb fighter,he shouldn't even be fighting at Heavyweight. Rashad Evans was also to big and strong at 205,and the same goes with Jon Jones. Fun fact about the Jon Jones fight though,at some point early in the fight Chael shot in for a takedown on Jones,Jones defended it, but in the process SEVERELY broke his big toe,to the point that it was completely facing the wrong direction and was in danger of actually COMING OFF OF HIS FOOT.

Jones managed to get top position on Chael and finish him by TKO with very little time left in the first round. He then had to be basically CARRIED back to his corner as they tended to his toe.

The crazy part and fun fact part of this story is that if Chael had managed to survive the round,the fight would have been stopped because of the injury to Jones toe,and Chael would have won the fight AND the championship title by TKO.

m1ckey kn0x likes this.
  19. Bran

Bran The wolf dead.

Chael sucks. Always has

Nebraska and Kevo like this.
  20. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!