Brian Ortega says he hasn’t been compensated at all for UFC 226 fallout - yet

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by thumper, Jul 11, 2018.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I don't know man. I think if I was in the UFC right now, especially someone with the clout Ortega is building, I'd want my manager to be working in some sort of guarantee of funds.

So, if I show up, do my media, make weight and do what i'm supposed to do and my opponent doesn't make weight, gets injured or something outside of my control happens, I still want to be at least partially compensated.

the UFC used to pay guys show money at least. sometimes they actually got their show and win money. but WME doesn't do that. I'd start wanting that shit in my contract.

2. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

He was offered a fight and turned it down.

Kano likes this.
  3. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Yes, Jake. The sport of MMA would be perfect if every fighter was exactly like Conor.

Maybe I'm saying this because I like him so much, but when he turned the fight down they didn't know what was wrong with Max or when he'll be able to fight again.

There was talk of the next card in August. If that ended up to be true, he wouldn't be cleared to fight for at least 30 days and would have missed that.

Poindexter and NotSoDarkAngel like this.
  4. NotSoDarkAngel

NotSoDarkAngel Well-Known Member

Not to mention Jeremy Stephens has a significantly different style than Max, it's no where near what Ortega was training for, and I'd assume there was no title (Interm?) on the line. There was nothing for Ortega to gain other than a paycheque.

Poindexter and Palma like this.
  5. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Conor got paid $100 million for doing nothing against Floyd.

6. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

You think he even remotely seen 100mil?

7. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I still don't get it.

These fighters are so quick to pen to paper for scraps. Then they wanna whine when something goes sideways and they think they should be paid or compensated in some manner.

It's 2018. UFC is a multi-billion dollar sports organization. Why are you negotiating contracts and contract language through the guy that runs the gym, or some clinger agent that is only looking out for himself.

Hire a real agent. An honest to goodness agent. One that will cover your ass, not only in your fight contract, but will line up the right deals with sponsors and endorsements so that you don't have to worry about whether or not UFC is gonna slide you a check.

Do you really think Bob Cook, Maliki Kawa, Wink, Jackson, Sores, Oliveira, and others that represent only MMA fighters (and mostly only fighters from certain gyms or locations) are looking out for the individual fighter's best interest? Or is he making deals and signing contracts in the best interest of his entire stable of fighters?
    i.e. If we make this deal easy, I can probably get Fighter A & Fighter B in the UFC next

I'm not saying run out and sign on with Leigh Steinberg or Scott Boras or Rock Nation or whoever. But a legitimate agent. One that has contacts and deals with multiple athletes in multiple sports. One that has deals with recognized national entities.

Negotiations shouldn't be easy. And sometimes you may have to pass on a fight or two to get what you want/deserve. But taking whatever is handed to you is never going to leave you in a good position. I'll point this back to the Diaz Brothers, Woodley, GSp, and other fighters that have realized this and have REAL agents advising them. Why fight 4 times a year making $200/$200 to earn a maximum of $1.6M, when you can fight once and make $1M flat guaranteed?

Palma likes this.
  8. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

I think the problem is that it won't beenfit them until a majority start doing it.

Nate is a bad example though, his was only because of Conor

9. thumper

You'll never win this argument. Even though Nate fell ass backward into the first conor fight because he was a late replacement for dos Anjos (i think it was a week? Nate was partying and out of shape) people here seem to think he was brilliant and strategic in his negotiations.

10. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Which is crazy. I love Nate but he's fought like, 25 times in the UFC? He's had two major paydays which both have a common denominator.

Sakara=Excitement and thumper like this.
  11. thumper

I like Nate too. Always have.

chrisc likes this.
  12. strife

strife I

Nate is not articulate by any means, but he's no fool. He cut the promo calling out McGregor because he knew what could happen. I'd consider that a borderline brilliant strategic decision that paved the way for his last minute replacement. Nate was the first to really call out the golden boy. Guy has zero business sense but the Diaz's know better than almost anyone in the business how to market themselves if not by anything other than being themselves.

13. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Conor was the champ. Who didn't call him out? And if Nate knows how to market himself, why did it take Conor to get a payday?

14. strife

strife I

Conor was not the champ when Diaz famously said "You're taking all I work for motherfucker".

Kano likes this.
  15. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

Diaz said that in his post fight interview after beating Johnson, on Decmeber 19th. Conor beat Aldo on December 12th.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  16. strife

strife I

I smoke too much, also I think I erased the Aldo fight from memory

chrisc likes this.
  17. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

I've tried to erase it

18. strife

strife I

To answer the second question, I think Diaz got a new manager who told him to cut a promo like that? I can't think of him really calling out anyone else like that in his whole career, albeit I'm a poor historian today, he would just show up and get-on if he won, but talk shit and complain if he lost.

19. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Wasn't that exactly what Nate Diaz's promo was about though? And wasn't it marketing himself to get that Conor fight? Yeah I am not saying there wasn't luck involved but Nate doesn't get that fight without that promo does he?

Kevo likes this.
  20. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

But the whole point is that Nate isn't some special person who knows how to market himself so much better than others and get these paydays. He called out the same fighter everyone calls out. The fight before Conor, he got 20/20. The most he got was like 40/40. This is a guy with over 20 fights. If it wasn't for Conor, he would still be making under 50/50. The only reason Nate got a payday is Conor. Otherwise, he would be getting a big payday fighting someone else. Instead, hes waiting for Conor to choose him again because thats the only way he'll make money

Sakara=Excitement and Qball1974 like this.