Benson Henderson is free to get his money’s worth

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Poindexter, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

2. Initial_ZEN

Initial_ZEN Active Member

There is a time period in which the ufc has to offer a fighter a fight. If the fighter refuses, then the clock is reset, ala Randy Couture. While they could have probably stretched out Benson's contract a little longer, they couldn't suspend him indefinitely. And since it isn't clear that he even wants to jump ship, it probably wouldn't benefit them to just keep him on the shelf as long as they could.

3. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

I'd like to see Ben continue fighting in the UFC at WW, but more power to him if he can negotiate a great deal over at Bellator. I think that would send a clear message to the other fighters getting robbed by the Rebok deal.

4. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

as for watching him fight i don't want him to leave the UFC to go anywhere. on the personal side I can't help but hope he leaves if it's going to get him paid.

i wonder what the big name fighters make in endorsements compared to their fighter pay. i wish i knew that. i'd have to guess with guys like ben it's GOT to be a huge sponsor chieck if he's got full capability. but i wonder how much that drops going to bellator.

that's a hard equation to know the answer to

but as for the fighting itself, i don't want him going anywhere lol

5. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

I hope all the vets start to leave because of Reebok.

MacEwen and ATJ-Lucko like this.
  6. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

from what i know of UFC contracts all fighters are restricted free agents when their contract runs out, meaning the UFC can match any offer another promotion offers them. Also when a fighter has one fight left on their contract and that fighter does not re-sign the norm is for the UFC is to throw them to the wolves and give them a hard fight, they can also sit the fighter but in the contract the UFC has to offer them a fight within a specific time period, they just can't sit him on the sidelines for say like 6 months, they have to offer him a fight.

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  7. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Bendo vs Askren at ONE as well.

8. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Toothpick check:
    [​IMG]

Toothpick ejection:

Spoon and rivethead like this.
  9. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

When a fighter fulfills his contract there is a first limited time where the organization has exclusive negotiation rights with the fighter. After that there is a period where they have the ability to match any offers from other promotions. Thomson was able to put language in his contract that conflicted with the Reebok deal so the UFC couldn't match because they wouldn't be able to fulfill the contract. Bendo could do the same.

10. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

Thomson' contract was probably inherited from Strikeforce though when they bought it out and it wouldn't have been the standard UFC contract. Bension re-signed with the UFC after he came over and was on the wins streak prior to his title fights if I'm not mistaken

11. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

UFC contracts still work the same way.

12. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

True.
    Thomson's contract was a UFC deal, but they flat out told him they weren't matching, no matter what. Plus the Bellator offer came in literally the minute his last UFC fight was over.

As for Henderson.....
    There are literally dozens of fighters that are watching this situation very carefully.
    If he goes to another org, what will the sponsor dollars look like. Estimates have sponsor packages in the $90k range for a guy like Bendo. But if its less, maybe staying with Zuffa is a better call.

I'm still not sure that Bellator is the best landing spot for Bendo. The sole reason he was on the UFC card in Korea was to play off his Asian heritage. ONE FC might actually be the place for him. He and Askren could run roughshot over the comp there and then sometime next year have an incredible superfight.

There's competition in WSOF, but something tels me that org is about to crumble. RIZIN could make a run at him, but only if they look sustainable after this big inaugural show.

No matter what. Even if no one can match the straight ahead fight dollars that Zuffa may offer $90/$90 + $25k Reebok dollars. The security of being the top guy somewhere else with a higher potential earning ceiling might be more of a draw for a guy like Henderson, who, lets be honest, will not ever be a UFC champion again.

13. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Korean promotion ROAD FC floats $200,000 offer for Benson Henderson

14. Rise

Rise Well-Known Member

I'd like to think Henderson will consider things from a competition standpoint though. He does seem to want to push himself to fight tougher challenges. You don't hear about him turning down fights, fighting in higher weight classes, fighting in ADCC absolute etc.. If he goes anywhere besides UFC he losses that ability for the most part.

I disagree as well about his ability to be champ again LW as well. That whole division is about style match ups at the top and the road to get there.

15. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

i think there's some confusion. i (for the first time ever) registered at instagram and started following ben, conor, lyoto etc so I could post those pictures I made to them. I was reading ben's instagram and he posted this either last night or this morning. he certainly doesn't sound like he wants out of the UFC, saying he hopes to retire there
    sounds more to me like he's saying' so i tested the waters and realized I need to stay put.

16. MacEwen

MacEwen Best kratom distributor

He said he wants to retire they're Ont might not fight there next. Our something like that at the post fight press I believe

17. Cat--Smasher

I don't think Bendo wants to leave the UFC but he feels he needs to check out his worth on the free market / field some offers and then decide what is best for him. I think in an ideal world, UFC would increase their previous contract for Bendo and he would happily resign. Ben is just being a smart business man, negotiating for a higher wage while saying everything right, to keep the UFC happy and looking good.

I don't think Ben has even began conversations with any other organizations yet. If last weeks fight was his last on his contract, I think the UFC has x amount of days to make an offer before it would open up to free market offers.. which the UFC could then decide to match or pass.

Initial_ZEN likes this.
  18. lwbrewer

lwbrewer Active Member

Ben seems to be doing this with style as I would expect from him. Not bad mouthing either side leaves the door open.

19. Cat--Smasher

Scott Coker: Bellator would love to have a fighter like Ben Henderson

20. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

I hope Benson gets a mix of the money he wants and the money he deserves. If the UFC isn't willing to do that, then I'd be happy to see him fight elsewhere.