Benson Henderson is free to get his money’s worth

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Poindexter, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

:rogancries:

2. Malevolence

Malevolence “Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango!”

Hello Spike money, goodbye Reebok chump change...
    I don't care for Bendo one way or the other, but he's an elite fighter pretty much still in his prime, would be great to see him start a trend of top talent jumping ship to Bellator, he's a good example of a guy who could earn a lot more in sponsorship deals outside the UFC, even with the less tantalizing exposure of being a Bellator fighter as opposed to the holy grail of being associated with the UFC.
    Do it Benson.

3. Mr. Cornute

Mr. Cornute Prince of Saiyan...stuff.

Bendo is one of my favorite fighters but I would love to see him make the most for the remainder of his career.

More money is what's in the best interests of any fighter especially after they've proven they're one of the best which without question Bendo has done.

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  4. Noise

Noise Ruido

AND NEW...RIZIN LIGHTWEIGHT, WELTERWEIGHT, MIDDLEWEIGHT, OPEN WEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD.

Seriously, though. Very happy for him. Wouldn't blame him if he went after his biggest paychecks in a freakshow promotion alongside streetfighters or whatever. He'll sacrifice his actual legitimacy facing second and third tier competition, but. If it means more money in his pocket, he's definitely earned it.

5. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Good for Bendo. Hope he gets paid. I'd love to see him go to Bellator and bolster their roster.

Hillbilly and Mr. Cornute like this.
  6. Mr. Cornute

Mr. Cornute Prince of Saiyan...stuff.

I don't think his legacy would be in the least bit tarnished unless he himself took part in those freak show fights.

7. 1inthechamber

1inthechamber Well-Known Member

I really hope he leaves and other top guys start leaving as well after fighting out their contracts.

UFC fucked all the fighters with this Reebok shit. They deserve to lose all their big draws. Would like to see either Bellator or WSOF become as big as UFC by taking advantage of the upset fighters wanting to leave.

8. Noise

Noise Ruido

I said legitimacy, not legacy. Like it or not, the level of competition won't be the same. If he beats up on subpar competition for these next few years and gets a bigger paycheck? Like I said: good for him.

His legacy will be fine. Still amped up about that Thatch fight. Fucking unreal. Wish him the absolute best if he dips.

Hillbilly and Mr. Cornute like this.
  9. Poindexter

10. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

yeah i like to see him in bellator, he would easily be their top ww

Malevolence likes this.
  11. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

this could easily be a sign of a trend since the rebook deal is fucking the fighters now. it's going to be interesting to see if that's the case. I love that someone as big ans benson is in the position. i've always really liked him and hope he gets paid

12. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Great opportunity for the other organizations, great opportunity for Henderson as I would assume Bellator, Rizin or WSOF would love to have him a the LW or WW champ in their orgs.

Ben was smart about his way of going about this though. Nothing but compliments for the UFC, stated he wanted to remain in the UFC and retire with them but needed to test is worth / free agency.

13. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Wouldn't it be funny if Reebok was the trend to make bellator a viable option. WcW vs WWE days. Viacom money vs ufc.

14. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

Bendo was making 48k and 48k thats pretty good, i wonder if the UFC is gonna offer him the same contract or give him less.

15. thumper

Viacom dwarfs zuffa. it's like comparing coke to sam's cola (if you compare parent companies of Bellator and the UFC). but they don't seem to be prone to pissing away stupid money to get big shows which is what i like. if there has to be a downside, i'd rather see a geriatric division than a bankrupt division so i'm ok with it.

i think they would pay big money for someone like ben and it'd be worth it because they'd be investing in someone that's got the talent and remaining career to back it up.

they just need to set the precedent in ben and it could change things.

believe me, at one point Netscape communicator laughed when Microsoft got into the browser market. they were dwarfed in market share within a few years. there is no loyalty to brands. people go where the value is (however the marriage of quality and internet explorer said bye bye years ago. but back then they ate netscape for lunch)

if bellator could get a small foothold on a few stars it could start a trend. it's not like the UFC even has the ability to overcome it. they have a contract with Reebok. Bellator signs a few biggies, and others will follow. Aldo, Jones and who else? area already talking shit about the UFC and theyr'e still there.

I know it's a pipe dream right now, but don't think it couldn't happen. Viacom has the deepest pockets in the industry. so they have staying power as long as their leadership points them in the right direction this could be a very long standing company down the road. they've got much better stability than any other org that's ever been in mma.

The downside, is if a move ever did happen and the talent ended up at bellator, it would really SUCK during that transition because you'd have top fighters in both orgs not able to fight each other

EDIT: hahah I just noticed something. if I spell check 'zuffa' in chrome, you know what the replacement word is? Guffaw hahahah

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Malevolence, Noise and rivethead like this.
  16. Problematique

Problematique Wiedźmin.

It would be great if Bellator would become a legit rival.

17. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor

I think you are underestimating belllator. Bendo figthing Will Brooks or Michael Chandler are great fights. There is a lot of great fights for Bendo in Bellator.

18. Poindexter

Current fighters he could face:

At 155

Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 8.48.10 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 8.47.24 AM.png

At 170
    Screen Shot 2015-11-29 at 8.47.57 AM.png

Malevolence and sourdough like this.
  19. thumper

i don't know what's best for ben, but one thing I can say for sure, i think he deserves some credit for dictating his own direction and not cratering. I have to believe the ufc has been trying to tie him back up for awhile. normally fighters are signing again on their last fight or before. i always wonder if they don't try to pressure fighters to sign again to GET that last fight. that's why i'm surprised this happened. i always thought that the way the UFC probably does this, is tell a fighter "you've got one left on your contract, let's get you signed again so we can get another fight:" as a way of forcing them to sign. because we all know they'll shelve a fighter (coture) JUST to keep him from being able to leave.

So based on history I'm pretty surprised this has happened. I can't believe the UFC is done with him. he's one of those guys you'd expect they'd pay to keep even if they hated him just so he wouldn't go be a star somewhere else

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  20. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

It's hard to believe that they could hate a guy that will step up on short notice to fight in two different weight decisions.

I would love to see him fight Chandler or Brooks. I'd also love to see him fight for the 170 strap or fuck up old Semtex.

sourdough and Malevolence like this.