Ben Askren predicts late-2019 showdown with Georges St-Pierre in Montreal

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Best wrestling in MMA. Unbeaten with a bunch of stoppage wins and loves to troll Dana.
    I think him trolling Dana is a very admirable trait. Don't underestimate it.

Poindexter likes this.
  2. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

What work are you doing?

Get off the fucking internet.

3. Kano

That would a great fight. Dare I say that would be a superfight.
    --- Post Added -- Apr 14, 2018, ---
    Lets just say I'm not dumping thousands of gallons of strong acid in the river.

4. Qball1974

So you're not in Montreal,

Carmen Sandiego here.

Kano likes this.
  5. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Because GSP beat every contender as champ and Ben has beaten no one over the course of an entire career.
    Best wrestling in MMA? He wouldn't even be the best in the UFC. DC, Cejudo, and (especially) Romero are better wrestlers than Ben ever was.

orion_damage and Noise like this.
  6. Qball1974

GSP has beaten every contender,

Might want to relook at Bens opponents.

Would he beat GSP I doubt it,

But his grappling is better then Khabib's.

7. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I know who he's fought. No one compared to the level of competition GSP fought.

His wrestling is better but his bjj is terrible. His GnP is nonexistent compared to Khabib's.

8. Noise

Noise Ruido

Wasn't some Singapore 234-243rd ranked Brazilian kid named Sapo throwing Jay Heiron's ex-girlfriend around before a convenient eye poke ended the fight?

I still sincerely have no clue who Jen Askren is.

9. Kano

DC'S high crotch is very impressive. Cejudo's and Romero's wrestling credentials are definitely better. But I said in MMA and I haven't seen them use wrestling in MMA as effectively as Ben. The Caveat to that is Ben hasn't faced nearly as tough of competition so it is hard to make a fair comparison.

Poindexter likes this.
  10. Noise

Noise Ruido

I'm just glad she found work tweeting things - was really worried whether Jen would land on her feet after retiring from locking horns with the elite 567th-609th echelon Malaysian MMA contenders.

11. Qball1974

Well duh no one has,

Ben has beaten Lima who Rory had a hard time with.

Top of the food chain is thick.

Even Woodley has lost too the best.

12. Noise

Noise Ruido

as effectively *against the deep abyss of talent in the pool of North Vietnamese grappling MMA warpigs in the mountains of ONE FC and the malls of Singapore.

Do NOT sell Jay Hieron's ex-girlfriend short; lets please keep things in utter perspective.

Wait, who are we talking about?

13. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Askren all day, e'ry day.

14. Palma

Palma I am chaos

If we're going by just what they have done in the cage then GSP the most superior wrestler in the sport.
    Maybe I misunderstood what you originally met.

thumper likes this.
  15. Qball1974

I'm drinking,

Not idea what I ment.

Palma likes this.
  16. Palma

Palma I am chaos

You were saying something about Ben Askren being black and still having a small ass.

17. Kano

GSP has great wrestling. What he does even better is transition from striking to grappling. GSP does this better than anyone ever and it's not even close.

Qball1974 likes this.
  18. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

would say I agree with this. To me it wasn't that he was the absolute best at anything. What he did better than anyone was take his opponents out of their game. regardless of what it was they excelled at.

his jab was just incredible. he could beat guys with that alone, Then figure in the way he used superman punches even as a jab, he just beat the snot out of everyone as they were trying to estblish their own base.

But more than the fact that he was elite at every position, was the fact that he was good enough at all of them so when he faced an opponent he would force them to fight his fight and they never got a chance to even launch their own game, let alone win using it.

The way he approached fights was masterful.

even stopping and changing his entire game plan after losing to Matt, he still retired with something crazy like a 75% finishing rate. If you look before that fight he was finishing everyone. I'd have to go back and look up his numbers, but that's what I remember

The fact that he could stop, change his approach half way through his career and still beat everyone, every round, was unreal.
    --- Post Added -- Apr 18, 2018, ---
    he was saying it was his 'tight' ass, not small ass. he was projecting! then "goo'ing" all over his projections

Qball1974 and Palma like this.
  19. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I agree, and I don't think he is literally a better wrestler than Askren. Askren's striking is so terrible and his fight IQ is so low, that all you have to worry about is defending the takedown.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  20. strife

strife I

Limited skillset and fight IQ are separate things.

Kano likes this.