Bellator parts ways with announcer Jimmy Smith, signs with UFC

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by ATJ-Lucko, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

I really like Paul Felder, even more than Smith

Not sure why the UFC needed another commentator though, they already have 5 color commentators, Felder, Rogan, Hardy, Cruz, DC,now Smith.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

They can feel free to drop DC at anytime.

Noise, Malevolence and Kevo like this.
  3. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

Had to look up Andy Wang, he’s shithouse.

p.s.
    Don’t accidentally google Andy’s Wang, I’m just off to clear my search history.

Qball1974 and Kevo like this.
  4. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

hahaha 'andy's wang'. i'll remember that

and how could you not know this? that's the proud owner of 'stand and wang'. the guy from TUF that flatly ignored his corner. they told him over and over and over to take it to the ground, he's got a good ground game. he's a BJJ black belt

he just flatly ignored them and went out and got his ass beat striking.

and the funniest part, is it wasn't the only time. he's known for it apparently

from wikipedia

--- Post Added -- Jan 12, 2018, ---
    oh my god that happened ten years ago. holy shit!

5. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

I'm not a fan. Maybe he'll work okay in a team setting where he can give the reach around.
    --- Post Added -- Jan 12, 2018, ---
    Stand and wang is a sydrome mostly commonly affecting wrestlers after they've tasted a knockout win.

6. Qball1974

[​IMG]

Poindexter and kanobro like this.
  7. thumper

true but some move on to actually become strikers.

but wang is a whole different ball game. he was told for a week leading up to his fight that the plan was to strike a little then take him down. he ignored it completely.

then BJ screamed at him in the first round to get him down.

in the second round you could hear BJ screaming the entire round to get him down. Wang fought for 10 minutes and never once even attempted it.

There's a difference between a wrestler not wanting to go to the matt, and a BJJ blackbelt making a game plan to fight on the ground, ignore all of it and ignore his corner for the entire event.

then after the fight, after he's done literally bawling in the cage, he does an interview and says he's sure his team will think hes a warrior.

he admitted that when he got smacked in the first 30 seconds of the fight, from that moment on he was going out swinging.

it was gross

EDIT: FYI after my first wang post in this thread, I went back and watched that whole episode. it's TUF 5 episode 4. Ep.4 Waa, Waa

it was worse than I remembered. as a cherry on top episode 5 was rudiger's disaster. taht's back when TUF was really shitty

Poindexter likes this.
  8. Malevolence

Stand & Wang, I like that, will have to go watch it as I didn’t watch that season of tuf, was that BJ & Jens coaching? I only watched the first two seasons & the redemption season that Serra & Lutter won & then some of the later stuff, the one with 125 guys interested me as there was a kiwi in there. Other than that I’m hopeless with the tuf references.

9. thumper

yup you got the right coaches. At this point Pulver was already up 2 - 0 i believe. Wang fought Brandon Melendez who ended up being a real dud himself.

But that episode is funny too because gabe rudiger
    [​IMG]
    Pic is from the end of that episode where he got kicked off the show.

Was begging to fight Wayne Weems who was a kid that was in way over his head and had no business being there to begin with. he was just awful. so bad other fighters felt sorry for him. rudiger was lobbying to fight him to get the easy win lol.

here's what Jens Pulver said about Weems
    Anyway, Season 5 seemed to be right after all the jacking off in the salad, pissing on each other and other shenanigans that killed the show for me (it might have been before the jagoff part but the pissing started in season 1 actually but they started getting silly really fast and started focusing on the drama rather than the fighters.

At some point that seems to have changed. I don't remember when. but I think i've watched every season.

10. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Wouldnt Felder, Hardy, Cruz and DC be considered play-by-play commentators?

Goldy was the only real colour commentator they used, no?

11. Malevolence

Goldy was play by play all day.

12. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

No, Anik and Gooden are the play-by-play guys. Play-by-play are the people listening on the earpiece for broadcast direction, managing timing of updating, dropping in those awful commercial bites (like when there's stalling on the cage and all of a sudden they start talking about the next PPV card), etc.

So they have a ton of color guys now. I'm assuming that this means there will either be fewer fighter commentators or more three man booths. I hope it's the latter, I'm one of those uncultured bastards who loves the three man booth.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  13. ATJ-Lucko

Actually goldie is a play-by-play like anik and Gooden, the rest are color commentators. a play-by-play guy describes the action, a color guy will normally talk about strategy and the details of what is going on.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  14. ATJ-Lucko

Bellator MMA has signed veteran NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer. Glazer will host the news/analyst desk for them, similar to what he did for UFC. I have no idea if this means he can't do NFL on FOX work or if that is somehow separate in his contract, but there we are.

15. thumper

yeah goldy was only play by play. You've got it backwards

The play by play guy does just that. calls each 'play' as it happens (in this case a strike is a play etc) I think it comes from football

The color commentator is there to add the 'color' to the painting. explaining camp/fighter/corner strategy, intended results from actions etc.

they're very different roles, but when both are good at what they do the line can seem blurred.

ALso, the harder job would be the play by play guy. he's got someone yacking in his ear all the time with 'mention this product, or event now', or 'this fighter had 20 knockouts in 25 wins' etc. he's constantly fed information to say and if you'll notice. when he is doinjg his plugs the color guy waits, even if there's a really big event like a knockdown, until he's done with his plug before talking.

both would be hard as shit, but the color guy is usually a former athlete that understands the actions/philosophy
    --- Post Added -- Jan 16, 2018, ---
    damn I missed your answer. this is right

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  16. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Though worth noting that @thumper is right, normally play-by-play calls the action. But the UFC seems to do it a little differently. If that's because Goldie couldn't and the dynamic was set or if it's just because you need a full time person dedicated to Corn Nuts ads, we'll never know.

17. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Corn to the core. The official corn snack of the UFC.

18. Qball1974

Chipped my tooth on a corn nut,

Fuck'em!

Poindexter likes this.
  19. Cat--Smasher

20. Cat--Smasher

Joe Rogan, Jimmy Smith discuss what separates 'the men from the boys' on commentary