Bellator parts ways with announcer Jimmy Smith, signs with UFC

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by ATJ-Lucko, Dec 28, 2017.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

Longtime color commentator Jimmy Smith will no longer announce fights for Bellator MMA.

A press released issued by the company on Thursday announced that the company and the popular announcer “have mutually agreed to part ways.” The release did not give a reason for the decision.

Additionally, sources tell MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani that Chael Sonnen will be a frequent presence in Bellator’s announce booth, and Frank Mir, who earned plaudits several years ago for his work as a WEC color commentator, is also expected to be in the mix.

Considered one of the most astute and incisive commentators in the MMA landscape, Smith, who had a brief pro MMA career before going into announcing full-time, had been with the company for nine years. He formed a longtime combination with play-by-play man Sean Wheelock, then was partnered with Sean Grande.

This year featured a rotating booth with Smith teaming at different times with the veteran announcers Mike Goldberg and Mauro Ranallo.

“Jimmy is one of the finest combat sports announcers of our time,” the press release read. “He has played an integral role in the growth of Bellator as it has evolved into the successful global franchise it is today.”

The release also included a statement from Smith.

"I am very grateful to the entire Bellator organization and fans for an amazing and unforgettable nine years,” Smith stated. “As I move on to the next phase in my career, I want to wish all of the fighters, producers, and Bellator staff the absolute best.”
    https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/12/28/16826642/bellator-parts-ways-with-announcer-jimmy-smith

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  2. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Weird. Sexual misconduct?

3. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

This was a matter of time.

Unfortunately Smith didn't have a resounding presence on the broadcasts like Rogan has, and I personally thinks that's whats led to some of Bellator's shortcomings.
    They needed an "iconic" type voice. And Smith just cannot provide that.

4. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I liked Smith. Oh well.

Trodden likes this.
  5. Poindexter

Smith stunk, IMO.

thumper and disposableassassin like this.
  6. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Well, there's that.

I mean I think he held himself back by going overboard to be as vanilla as possible.
    A color guy has to have some kind of personality. Especially if the PbP guy does.

I have no doubt that Jimmy knew his shit. He certainly didn't make up names for submissions, or warn the audience of forthcoming moves based on nothing other than a hunch and calling it "look where his weight is". Not that that's how it should be done, but its better than just saying the same tired shit fight after fight after fight. "He's definitely a game opponent." "Let's see if (insert name) can pick up the intensity this round and try to make something happen"

Poindexter likes this.
  7. Poindexter

8. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

I liked Smith.

Trodden likes this.
  9. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

Jimmy was my favorite commentator. I know he didn't have as much energy as Rogan, but he was far more energizing than guys like Stann for me, and knew his shit to boot. I hope he ends up in the UFC.

10. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

[​IMG]

Malevolence, Trodden and kanobro like this.
  11. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

Fresh Prince, where's DJ Jazzy Jeff.

12. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

He fell off the free ride.

Dimson and kanobro like this.
  13. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist Survival Pool Champion

smith going to UFC and replacing rogan?

14. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

I liked him but as was mentioned he's way too vanilla for a job that demands you be very notable. that shit works for play by play because a lot of what you're saying is being fed into your ear, and/or you're reading it off note cards that someone is handing you (stats, etc).

he needed to find a hook and he went to great lengths to do the opposite which is why he's no longer got a home.

The jobs of play by play and color commentator for some reason get really misunderstood. they are very different. Goldie could never be a color guy because he makes way too many stupid mistakes. Rogan was a great sounding board for him because he generally 'kindly' corrected his dumb shit and flat out called it stupid when it got really bad (like saying it takes a lot of energy to be a rockstar when ronda's energy was getting sapped because she's an awful boxer)

kanobro likes this.
  15. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Morning Report: Joe Rogan says he tried to get UFC to hire ex-Bellator broadcaster Jimmy Smith years ago

16. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

Had to stop at the “I don’t give enough bj’s part.” Never heard that comparison. Made me laugh.

17. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

I am job

18. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I like Jimmy better already.

19. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion

Veteran color commentator Jimmy Smith signs with UFC
    That didn't take long.

20. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

i mentioned in an other thread i thought he was coming over.

i think he's too uneventful but he's like joe in that he knows this shit backwards and forwards so maybe i'm too quick to say he's too vanilla. i like Jimmy. he's got a different background than joe. he came up as a wrestler, and Gracie style bjj where joe came up in martial arts and 10th planet.

but i still think he'll do well

on the 5th i posted a thread titled "Do you think Jimmy Smith is coming to the UFC? I do."

here's the one funny thing. Jimmy retired at 6 and 1. that '1' loss was to andy wang

Spoon likes this.