'Bang' Ludwig: Demetrious Johnson vs. T.J. Dillashaw 'has to happen for the history books'

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by thumper, Jan 9, 2018.

1. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

LAS VEGAS – Will a superfight between UFC champs Demetrious Johnson and T.J. Dillashaw ever happen? Dillashaw’s coach says it damn well better.

“Just as a martial artist and a fan of the sport, too, it just has to happen for the history books,” Duane Ludwig told MMAjunkie while in Las Vegas to coach at his Bang Muay Thai affiliate school, Xtreme Couture.

UFC flyweight champ Johnson (27-2-1 MMA, 13-1-1 UFC) and bantamweight champ Dillashaw (15-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC) have gone back and forth in the media about the possibility of the contest. Despite the athletes competing in different divisions, Dillashaw has said he’ll happily cut an additional 10 pounds for the opportunity to take on the man who’s currently No. 1 in the the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA pound-for-pound rankings.

Johnson has previously expressed some hesitation, preferring instead to see Dillashaw make the weight first, perhaps against another opponent, before signing the bottom line. But Ludwig believes “Mighty Mouse” owes the world the opportunity to see the fight.

“I don’t care, Demtrious, you know you’re the best at your weight class right now, but you’re not fighting the top guys,” Ludwig said. “Demetrious as at an A-plus level, right? The guys that he’s fighting, no disrespect, but the guys that he’s fighting are at a B-plus level. They’re not on his level, but that’s why he’s the champ, right?

“T.J. is on the A-plus level at a different weight class. He’ll come down, he’ll make the weight with coach Sam Calavitta just for the evolution of martial arts in general because T.J. is the best martial artist that the planet’s ever had. So is Demetrious, just different weight class, so let’s find a common weight class and find out who’s the true martial artist and put it to the test.”

UFC President Dana White recently indicated he intends to make the bout, and now seems the perfect time with no true No. 1 contender available for the champions in either division.

For Ludwig, a former UFC and Strikeforce contender, the opportunity to be part of the contest would be incredible, he says. And with the bout seemingly nearing reality, Ludwig said he’s already breaking down the matchup and believes Dillashaw can be the man to finally end Johnson’s record-setting reign off 11 consecutive UFC title defenses.

“I wouldn’t say I see weaknesses, but I see areas that T.J. can be successful,” Ludwig said. “That’s what I see.

“I understand Demetrious, I feel, well, but he’s always changing and evolving, as well, but so are we, and that’s what we must be doing as human beings and martial artists. But I feel I understand him, and I feel that T.J. can beat him.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

http://mmajunkie.com/2018/01/bang-l...c-history-books/amp?__twitter_impression=true

OK all that said, is it just me that gets bugged when coaches do these thing and are speaking out as though they were the fighters and making statements to potential opponents?

I respect ludwig's history but man he rubs me the wrong way sometimes. Like when he's throwing out these challenges to DJ, to me that's not his place.

Maybe it's that I don't like him. Maybe I'm just biased because of that

2. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Id love to see this fight.

Id love even more to see DJ win this fight.

3. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

I'd rather see DJ go up to 135 and fight a top 10 guy to warm up, then fight TJ (or whoever is champ at that time) second. DJ's proved that he's the best at 125; and I don't blame him for staying, but I want to see it.

Malevolence likes this.
  4. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

I’d rather Mouse went up a class too, he’s totally cleared the div, got the defense record, if he wants the big $ then he’s going to need to visit a big $ div & 125 isn’t it. I think he can pull it off, he’s developed into a fighting machine in the last few years, no better time than right now to move up & stake a claim at the135 title IMO. Dillashaws showing a real thirst to become a 2 div champ, DJ should be too. I think he could walk into a title shot, he’s earnt the right demand.

Cat--Smasher likes this.
  5. thumper

but wait, he's earned the right to jump a weight class and go directly into a title fight? DJ that refused to fight the champ (the same guy) in another weight class because he was coming down and he thought he should prove himself first?

so TJ had to prove himself to go down but DJ doesn't have to prove himself going up? how does that work?

Dimson likes this.
  6. Cat--Smasher

7. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

OH MY GOD HE LOST AN ARM?!

He still beats everyone at 125

8. Cat--Smasher

Either that or surgery for a couple torn labrums.

9. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

He doesn't have a vagina, dumbass. They don't teach anatomy in Canadia?

disposableassassin and kanobro like this.
  10. Cat--Smasher

Good old American education system showing itself again.

11. Malevolence

Malevolence Hurt like you’ve never been loved

I see what you mean but I personally never said T.J. shouldn’t get a shot, why wouldn’t he get one? there’s no one left at 125 for DJ to beat. I think DJ has done more to earn an immediate shot at 135 than T.J. has at 125 but it’s horses for courses, there’s no one left at 125, T.J. qualifies almost by default. I wouldn’t say the same if T.J. were to go belt hunting at 145 for instance, Max has to clear a few guys out of the way before a Johnny come lately walks into a shot. In a similar regard T.J. has more 135ers to defend against but a strong argument can definitely be made for Mouse to walk in to 135 & be fighting for gold.

kanobro likes this.
  12. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

This is a great fight if you want to see the flyweight division destroyed.

Palma likes this.
  13. thumper

it doesn't matter now anyway. DJ just went into shoulder surgery so there isn't going to be any fight for awhile.

and personally I don't see any reason for a champ in one division not to be able to challenge another. up or down. as long as doing so doesn't hold up the other division for a long time

14. Cat--Smasher

T.J. Dillashaw fires back at Cody Garbrandt “You can’t even really be called champ without defending your belt”

--- Post Added -- Jan 13, 2018, ---
    T.J. Dillashaw is gearing up for “The biggest fight of 2018”

15. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Wasn’t TJ’s only title defense against some bum off the street they found like a day before? And it took him 5 rounds to finish him

TriangleSmoke likes this.
  16. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

QFT

17. CA_Gas Bag

CA_Gas Bag Well-Known Member

Joe Soto, who replaced Barao on a day's notice. TJ later fought Barao and beat him in the fourth round.

Kevo, AnchorPunch and Malevolence like this.
  18. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

I really want to see this fight, but man TJ is super lean at 135. Him trying to make 125 makes me a little nervous. Apparently he's on the keto diet though. I've been on that for months, and the weight does fall off pretty fast. I just can't imagine him at 125 without it having a negative impact on his strength. He doesn't look like he has very much fat to lose.

I think DJ smokes him at 125. I'm not so sure about 135 though.

Kevo and disposableassassin like this.
  19. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I do. There's too many divisions. Anyone worth a damn at that weight would be just as competitive at BW. Look at Dodson.

20. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

If TJ wins, I don't see how the division survives. It's already on very weak legs. Take out the one star the division has and it's over IMO.