1. Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. "UFC Fight Night 137: Santos vs. Anders" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims commence at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 137: Santos vs. Anders.
Dismiss Notice
In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable. Official 2018 Annual Pick 'Ems Challenge: UFC Fight Night 137
Dismiss Notice
Every day above earth is a good day. Survive or die: MMASpot Survival Pool - Season 86.

B.J. Penn misses 'being the baddest man on the planet'

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Poindexter, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

[​IMG]

+

Nebraska and jokerthief like this.
  2. jokerthief

jokerthief No reason to get excited. Site Donor

So I have a question for everyone. Is BJ Penn the greatest fighter in the UFC hall of fame? I say he is.

Poindexter likes this.
  3. Palma

Palma I am chaos

I think he is too, but all those guys are pretty old school, when you didn't have to be as well rounded.

Poindexter likes this.
  4. jokerthief

This is true and yet Penn fought during much of the same time period and was knocking people out even though he actually came from a jujitsu base. And he had probably the best TDD for years. I think Penn was the first modern mixed martial artist—a guy who was great at all aspects of the game. And he was this way in 2001. His nickname should have been the prototype, not the prodigy.

5. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Can't disagree with that. He really was the first true MMA fighter, minus the conditioning.

6. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

I don't know who's in the hall of fame, but given that Fedor never fought for the UFC, I'm going to go ahead and say yes.

7. Tapout

Tapout Bringing Sexy Back Site Donor

Frank Shamrock imo is the first modern mma fighter, with the conditioning

I do wish BJ would do some metamorphosis matches. Or face Hughes in a grapple only.

His stubbornness showed in later years, but his title run was beyond impressive.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Rise likes this.
  8. Sniggles

Sniggles ex nihilo

Depends. Is it "Motivated" BJ?

disposableassassin likes this.
  9. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

I miss it too, B.J.

10. ILJO

ILJO Bitch Nigga 3000 Site Donor

I miss BJ too.

11. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

Was a huge fan until the second GSP fight, the way he acted before and after the match I lost all respect for him.

Trodden likes this.
  12. sourdough

sourdough Sourdough Site Donor Asst. Bookie

It would be amazing to see prime BJ Penn compete against the top guys at 155 right now.

13. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

[​IMG]

m1ckey kn0x, TriangleSmoke and ILJO like this.
  14. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

He will be the best all-around fighter in the UFC HoF.

While I don't think he is the GOAT, he will be the best fighter in the HoF.

My only regret in regards to BJ is that I think he challenged himself to greatness almost too much. Had he stuck to fighting at his weights more often instead of overreaching too far (Machida)(GSp) he would have the record to back being the GOAT.

He ran into a buzzsaw in Frankie Edgar as his motivation for training and fighting dwindled, and that's the real bummer.

15. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I'm with tapout in that I would love to see him in a metamoris.

I'll never forget the lead up to the second GSP fight and they showed BJ training by carrying rocks underwater in the ocean. It was at that point that I knew he was in trouble.

Sniggles likes this.
  16. Initial_ZEN

Initial_ZEN Active Member

I wonder how bj's career would have turned out if the judges game him the 1st fight against Edgar.

jokerthief likes this.
  17. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I think the lose to GSp was the start of the down turn. I think he trained as hard as he ever did for that fight and it wasn't good enough. He looked good, not great, against Florian and Sanchez. Then again against Edgar in the first fight. It was close. I thought Edagr won the points race, but BJ won the fight. And that finished off the last of BJ's will to win. After that he relied on sheer skill to fight, but that "killer instinct" just did not exist anymore.

jokerthief likes this.
  18. jokerthief

That's a very good question. I think he won that fight. But then the second fight was so definitive. Something happened in between them. You have to wonder if that fight mentally broke him. Perhaps he suffered from depression and just didn't train like he should have. If that's the case, you can see how that could have snowballed into his decline. (But to be fair his last 3 fights were against top-of-the-food-chain fighters).
    --- Post Added -- Jul 4, 2015, ---
    It's embarrassing when someone posts pretty much the same point as you while you're still writing and beats you to the punch. :warchiefed:

Poindexter likes this.
  19. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

+

Nebraska and ILJO like this.
  20. Pashak

Pashak Well-Known Member

It's funny he talks about not taking the easy way out after just saying that he does not have any desire to do another training camp.
    BJ Penn has been known for being an extremely talented person but also very lazy.

It is kinda understandable because he comes from a very rich family so he always had anything he needed without doing any effort. Thanks to his insane talent he achieved a very good career in MMA.
    But he is not like a lot of brazilians that had to work a lot in their childhood to get some food, so they understand that if they want something, they must work like animals for it.
    BJ never had that kind of work ethic. Of course he trained hard, but it was his talent what made him such a fighter.