At least 27 dead in Texas church shooting

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by ATJ-Lucko, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Palma

Palma I am chaos

Okay
    --- Post Added -- Nov 7, 2017, ---
    It's a political problem, imo. There could be measures taken to curb the carnage posed by gun violence, but it's politically taboo to even mention it. So, the lawmakers and legislators don't even try for fear of never getting re-elected.

2. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

You are a fucking idiot. I bet you consume a lot of garbage from Your News Wire and Info Wars.

Trodden and Poindexter like this.
  3. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

No, not at all. I have absolutely no issue with any of your suggestions as they all make sense to me. Thats with or without the 13k deaths a year by guns. My point with the 13k gun deaths (homicides) a year is its not really a "crisis" as Freak had implied or as the media would like to portray it. In 2014, 633,842 people died from heart failure alone; thats a fucking crisis. It would take 48.75 years of gun homicides to reach 1 years worth of heart failure deaths. You tell me where the crisis in this country lies?[/QUOTE]

Heart failure deaths don't happen as a direct result from another person's intent on causing said death.

Comparing heath related deaths to deaths as a result of machines manufactured to kill isn't going to help reinforce your argument with me.

I do agree that it's not the same level of "crisis", however, I would say "crisis" is appropriate when pondering the right description of this death industry that is the gun industry, with the lack of regulation and clear and demonstrated mass shootings, murder, and other gun related deaths that plague the US at a rate of 13K-ish a year.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Palma likes this.
  4. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

You have more faith in the Govt than I do; I would never register my guns. With registration comes taxation or worse, confiscation.

There is no doubt in my mind that it wouldnt. A simple filing off of the serial number and a registry becomes moot.

No, just unintentional.

That's fine, im not trying to change anybody's minds on the subject. We all have our opinions.

I wouldnt call it a crisis at all but okay. Shooting and violence has been and always will be around. I think its clear that the increase in these "mass shootings" is a mental health issue that definitely needs to be addressed.

gun control comic strip.png

5. ChuckBooty 2.0

ChuckBooty 2.0 The downgraded upgrade Site Donor

Actually the issue is quite the opposite. YOU are the one with faith in the government. Do you REALLY think that the government is capable of creating a spreadsheet of millions and millions of gun owners and then sort through that gun list deciding who they're gonna go after? I don't. There are around 300 MILLION guns in the country. The government is unable to do a single thing about it. Registry or not.

But to your point, there are plenty of folks who feel the way you do. My point is the cat's outta the bag, so-to-speak. There's NOTHING that the government can do about it.

This is why I find most people who choose to have this discussion to be disingenuous. Unless somebody is proposing a constitutional convention to get rid of the 2nd amendment, any and all legislation will stand to just inconvenience whoever wants to buy the gun. There are countless ways of getting a gun in this country without going to a gun store.

6. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

I guess you're right... I dont see the reason or the benefit for me for registering my guns.

I just feel like the people that talk about stricter gun control policies ultimately want a full repeal of the 2nd amendment and want no guns for anybody. I have these discussions with people on FB and they say stupid shit like "it should be harder to get a gun than for me to get birth control". In which I respond that they have clearly never tried to buy a gun in the state of CA nor have they ever owned a gun or fired a gun and 99% of the time my assumption is spot on. People hear this rhetoric on the news or social media and spew it out as if its their own ideas or even the truth.

CA has very strict gun laws yet gun homicides are up 15% from 2014 - 2016. Guns arent the problem; people are the problem.

7. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

All these mass stabbings and stranglings must go unreported.

8. Trodden

Trodden Talk louder, I cant hear you

the lobby of 'American Association of Stab and Strangle, Hang Or Liquefy Everyone Society' is pretty powerful

theyre all about keeping things where there is no light

be careful when having to face the AASHOLES

9. Ninjastix

I just don't see where there can be an argument that guns and the proliferation of guns isn't a public health and safety crisis.

I don't favor controls because they don't seem to stop or regulate sales or trafficking. Sending weapons to a black market would grossly inflate the cost of owning a firearm or ammunition. Since the damage is already being done to communities and cities, seems like the least you go do is associate firearm taxes across on the board on guns and ammunition.

Inflating the cost of ownership would be its own deterrent and even if it wasn't would generate supplemental revenue that you aren't now, plus you're still incurring all the costs associated with gun violence in America with no way to mitigate that price tag in sight.

10. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

in 2013 there was 4,962 non-gun related homicides in the US.

http://www.oregonlive.com/data/2015/10/gun_deaths_other_causes.html
    --- Post Added -- Nov 8, 2017, ---
    So, more money for politicians to line their pockets with.

11. Ninjastix

So homicides are equivalent to mass shootings? We've had terrorist related car attacks and we've had bombings sure, but you want to make a wager to how they chart against mass shootings when we're discussing frequency?
    --- Post Added -- Nov 8, 2017, ---
    Well if that's your held belief, and their going to do it anyway, wouldn't increased public safety be a reasonable return on investment?

12. SickNasty

J
    The cartoon was nice.

Equating deaths by objects intended for baseball, knotting, and cooking with objects intended for death seems legit.

13. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

You're assuming that the increase in taxes/costs of guns & ammo are going to equate to less gun violence and mass shootings; Im not so sure that it would. And im always opposed to increased taxes PERIOD.

Im glad you liked it. I find it quite amusing as well. The point is, you cant blame one inanimate object over another when the common denominator is the person using the object.

14. Peezy

Peezy Voice of the people

Fixed that for you.

15. SickNasty

Blame shouldn't be placed on inanimate objects, that's a gross oversimplification.

Killing someone with a gun isn't as hard as killing someone with a knife, bat, or rope. While all of those are readily accessible, only one of those is clearly more lethal than the others.

16. Trodden

I really hate the 'gun' discussion

people who oppose gun control always point out other ways people can die, as if to say 'why bother trying to control guns'

which is like saying, 'I can plant a bomb and drive far away before it kills you, so why cant I have a nuke'

then you have those who are for gun control who have those pesky facts about gun violence

if Sandy Hook and Las Vegas doesnt make you want to take a good look at our gun laws, nothing will

17. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

But thats exactly what people do though. The blame is never placed on the person when it comes to homicides in which a gun a used. When somebody uses a truck to mow over a bunch of people all we hear about is the person. Yet, when loon uses a gun to kill a bunch of people all we here about is guns and gun control.

18. ChuckBooty 2.0

ChuckBooty 2.0 The downgraded upgrade Site Donor

I disagree...guns ARE a part of the problem. Easy access to guns lead to things like Sandy Hook, where the guy was bananas already but simply walked in and grabbed his MOMS gun. I think it should be harder to get a gun and I think that everybody who owns a gun or guns should have to renew their license the same way you do when you get a drivers license. There should be proficiency and safety training involved and there should be recurring background checks. The background agency should also have access to peoples medical records. I know, I know...but I'm sorry anybody with any sort of mental health issue...including veterans who suffer from PTSD....should be banned from owning firearms. Again though, this wouldn't necessarily stop mass shootings. Even if all of the gun manufacturers stop their daily production of firearms, there's still over 300-million guns ALREADY LAYING AROUND in America. I don't see a way to stop these things at this point.

Nobody is saying that easy access and the sheer number of guns already "on the street" aren't a major problem. Guns are the problem...rather the easy access to guns. Your idea of taxing the guns is terrible because of the obvious example with the Vegas shooting but also because it simply puts millions and millions of dollars into the hands of an already corrupt government. Plus your idea doesn't address the hundreds of millions of guns that are just laying in somebody's attic or garage. Guns are the cockroaches of murder weapons. They'll be left on the planet long after biological life is gone, I think.

Trodden likes this.
  19. Trodden

because the conversation is two different things

when vehicles are used for mass killings things do change

in Oklahoma City, for example, the govt now closely monitors racing fuel, fertilizer and other ingredients he used

its also illegal to park that close to a Govt building

in other instances barricades are erected to prevent it from happening again

but banning vehicles would completely destroy the economy.

no one could drive to work, goods couldnt be shipped. banning autos just isnt even possible

when guns are used immediately the conversation is hijacked and steered away from guns, with the main two arguments 'guns are our rights' and 'gun control wont save lives'

both of which are stupid arguments

the only way to argue 'guns are our rights' is to say our "founding fathers" wanted us to have guns no matter the design, and their ideas for our country were the best ever
    which means you are OK with them being slave owners

the 'gun control doesnt save lives' argument is even more bullshit. the logic of trying to keep something from someones hands makes it more likely they'll be used is really stupid

ChuckBooty 2.0 likes this.
  20. 0mega1

0mega1 Well-Known Member

Im all for background checks and Pshych evaluations. Here in CA, you need to pass a gun safety course, background check, and then wait a 2 week cool down period before you get your gun and guess what? We still have a high number of gun violence. Its actually increased by 15% in the past 2 years. So the "gun control wont save lives" argument has merit to it. It only makes it harder for law abiding citizens to get a gun; it does nothing to deter criminals.