1. Right or wrong, it's very pleasant to break something from time to time. "UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims started at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice

Ariel Helwani was removed from UFC 199 and told that he is ‘banned for life’ by Zuffa

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Cat--Smasher, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Cat--Smasher

Cat--Smasher Putting the stamp on kids Staff Member

Ariel Helwani was removed from UFC 199 and told that he is ‘banned for life’ by Zuffa

I know people have already been discussing this in the live thread but I think this issue is going to drag on and become a much larger discussion.
    --- Post Added -- Jun 5, 2016, ---

Nothing worse than a reporter reporting on the news.

But for real, UFC wants to be viewed as a mainstream sports organization yet they get upset when a reporter shows interest and does his job?

I wonder if the UFC hates the Jews :DW2:. I kid, I kid.

2. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

Another member of the Josh Gross club.

3. Cat--Smasher

4. jesusatemyhotdog

Josh Gross is also Jewish. Hmm...I think we have ourselves a grand conspiracy. Get the tinfoil out!

sourdough likes this.
  5. Cat--Smasher

6. jesusatemyhotdog

If the MMA journalists were actually journalists and cared about journalism, especially the powerful mainstream groups, they would go dark on the UFC out of protest. But they aren't, they don't and they won't.

Initial_ZEN, Kevo, Nebraska and 4 others like this.
  7. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

I'm not huge fan of Ariel, not sure why (and don't you eggs say it's cause he's Jewish caus I love the Jews), he just rubs me wrong. That said he seems really good at what he does. Would love to hear the UFC's comment on this. Bummer for the guy. Seems to be living his dream. Hopefully cooler heads prevail.

8. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

It's a difficult position to be in when people come to you site for MMA news and you refuse to report on the biggest game in town. Especially when the UFC can simply turn to the next blog site in a line and say "how about some press credentials?".

Doubtful fans would make a difference, it would take larger media outlets and interests moving their coverage and support away from the UFC for them to reconsider their media practices. To be fair they've been assholes going back about a decade, and even before the ESPN/FOX coverage this was how they treated independent media.

9. jesusatemyhotdog

This is a genuine question: do you think the term fan should apply to media personalities or the concept of fandom? Shouldn't the barometer be whether they break stories and have applied knowledge to the subject that they are covering?

I think this is part of the overall problem with modern mass media. Infotainment has been the norm for so long now that people judge information based on whether they like the person covering it.

I tell you what, I despised this woman's personality and wasn't onside with her editorializations on certain subjects, but respected the shit out of her ability to do her job. She was one of the best and pissed off almost everybody all of the time when she was still kicking:

[​IMG]

Kevo and Nate_Deezy like this.
  10. ChuckBooty 2.0

ChuckBooty 2.0 The downgraded upgrade Site Donor

Problematique likes this.
  11. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

It was my understanding that a journalist's job is to find the story not to create it. There's a fine line with that approach because writing is creating, which is not done without some bias of perspective. The 'click bait' error has smaller media competing with the conglomerates who've adopted their techniques of: sensation headline + titillating thumbnail.

It's hard to separate the curds from the whey unless you make the investment of time and energy. I don't have a black and white opinion of all these MMA sites because I don't normally frequent them. But it's not suppose to be easy, and just because you're prevented from covering an event doesn't mean you can't still be a journalist, doesn't mean you still can pursue fighters for pieces even if your job is significantly harder.

12. jesusatemyhotdog

I am horribly offended. You have irrevocably harmed me forever. I need my safe space. Mods, please ban this absolutely awful person.
    I disagree. The idea of a free press is that access is not lorded over their heads as a tool to influence the information that they are seeking. I understand that it is done regularly. However without striving for the ideal, the standard will always lower. And that is true of any social or ethical principle.
    Also if other pro sports leagues/teams acted this way, Larry Brooks' career in New York would have lasted one hour.

ChuckBooty 2.0 likes this.
  13. Miz

Miz mortality, ka, and the Tower

@jamhd I like Ariel's coverage. I think he is good at what he does. He just rubs me wrong but I still like what he brings to the table. I can't explain how I like his coverage but don't like him. I think he is smart and good at what he does. Not sure on your question. I think it helps if you are a fan of a sport that your covering, or passionate about whatever endeavor your undertaking, but don't believe that it absolutely has to be a prerequisite. I'm good at writing individualized education plans. I don't like writing them. I am passionate about working with kids with disabilities. I think you could be a passionate reporter but not passionate on every aspect of the subject your reporting. Not sure if that makes sense.

14. jesusatemyhotdog

I will clarify. The prior post of yours that I quoted led with a sentence qualifying your fandom of Ariel Helwani. My point is, that I personally find being a fan of a journalist irrelevant to the idea of journalism and shouldn't really matter.

I think you hit on a similar idea.

I judge journalists by whether they break stories and whether they have a sound knowledge of what they are covering. But since every journalist seems to editorialize as well these days, I can understand how it does influence people's judgment.

MIZjitzZOU likes this.
  15. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

I remember when they did this to Sherdog back in the day.

And I actually agree, to a point, with Sholler. Most professional journalists, if they get a breaking story will try to confirm it through the main principals before running it. And a confirmation can simply be sending a text or leaing a voicemail for a UFC Official telling them they are running with a story and you're calling to get a comment otr confirmation. Then putting that in the story. (i.e......we've attempted to confirm the story but have heard back from team (UFC) officials at this time.)

As for the credentials, these are by no means a right. Having been credentialed for UFC and NFL events its a pretty big deal. UFC spends quite a bit of time and money and energy on making it a great press friendly event. Not only do they feed the press (great spread BTW), but they allow time to write, they have press agents constantly running back and forth delivering information, and are very welcoming. That's on top of cageside seats for free.

A press credential is essentially extending a companies / teams PR arm. If a reporter wants the story badly enough, a credential will not prevent them from getting it. A credential just gives reporters that the team/company chooses access to areas of the arena that the the normal public isn't allowed.

Giblert=Excitement likes this.
  16. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

Imagine if MLB or NBA flipped out on reporters for bringing up ongoing trade talks.

ATJ-Lucko likes this.
  17. jesusatemyhotdog

I don't know if you are into hockey, but I assume you are since it is your patriotic duty, but if so, you must have seen Larry Brooks piss off almost everybody in New York: Tortorella, Boyle, Betman, Sather and others throughout the years.

Or Ron MacLean taking it to Betman every chance he ever could.

Yet, they have never been interfered with in their pursuit of their trade.

18. Fedorlei Gomipierre

Fedorlei Gomipierre The IQ Poster Site Donor

When it comes to reporting on trade rumours or potential contract talks or player "dissension" etc, obviously sports journalists need to vet their sources(and still miss the mark at times) and take part in responsible reportage, but I look back at the whole DeAndre Jordan fiasco last summer and the guys covering that or something like the Mitchell Report, Tiger or IDK, any story that's really challenging to a professional sport, there's an issue of not wanting to get scooped and doing the very best to get the news out first, and while guys are favoured and others buried and kicked out of locker rooms, this looks really bush league and petty.

The way Dan Snyder dealt with some of the media in Washington is pretty brutal, but as the primary promotion for a sport, this looks very poorly.

jesusatemyhotdog likes this.
  19. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Pussy move, UFC.

kanobro likes this.
  20. Sakara=Excitement

Sakara=Excitement America's Most Wanted Site Donor

Let's get all the info first. A lot of assuming on our parts.

Kevo likes this.