1. Having nothing to struggle against, they have nothing to struggle for. "UFC on ESPN 1: Velasquez vs NGannou" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:00 p.m. ET (ESPN+).
    Dismiss Notice

Ariel Helwani Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by TriangleSmoke, Jan 1, 2013.

1. MBC

MBC Well-Known Member

Fucking right

2. Qball1974

Qball1974 Tower of Song Site Donor

We don't judge.

Sakara=Excitement likes this.
  3. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Because when I think of journalistic integrity, I think of people who collect paychecks from the people they cover. That’s called PR, bro, not journalism.

4. Qball1974

That shit's gone out the window years ago,

everytime I see the "News" now I think of the National Enquirer from the 80's.

Walter Cronkite is rolling in his grave.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

true, my statement was a reply to thumper's where i believe thumper was insinuating that the UFC and ariel are still in cohoots.

6. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Oh y'all are special, no doubt about it.

7. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Major critic? Of UFC? In what regard?
    By dropping an opinion here or there about where a guy is ranked? By questioning certain match ups or why UFC is not getting behind a certain fighter?
    When, in the last decade, has Ariel actually reported on something truly critical or negative as it relates to UFC?

He's a spokesperson. He's not even a television personality. He's a straight up spokesperson. He reads press releases and does UFC organized interviews. He has not "reported" on anything in a long long time.

For fuck's sake, that Megan Olivia chick is more a journalist at this point than Areil is. At least she's asking questions that don't come with prepared cliche answers.

As for the "in cahoots" comment. Of course they are in cahoots. Ariel's check might have UFC, WME, or whatever on it, but you can bet your ass, just like with his press credentials, if UFC didn't want him around their business, he wouldn't be. He is a controlled spokesperson for UFC, and he knows his place. He's allowed to be "critical" of superficial and low-level things related to UFC matchmaking and BS. But you'll never see or hear anything about him going to town on one of UFC's stars or UFC's officers.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    thumper likes this.
  8. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

Exactly. Yet people all over still claim he's a 'journalist'. i just don't get it. I suppose it's the demographic

9. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

you can still be a journalist and a paid shill with extreme biases. you probably won't be a good one though.
    --- Post Added -- Oct 9, 2018, ---
    but thats why they had him fired in the first place because he was being critical, the UFC doesn't want any criticism from their paid shills see rogan.
    If they were fine with him doing his thing he still be at fox and this whole scheme will still be going on.
    He is not critical of fighters because he still wants them on his show but he has criticized people in the office at ufc for certain decisions, why they have so many events, why the book their events in certain city's, match making, and most notably he has criticized dana.
    Could they have kissed and made up, maybe but i don't think most fans care what ariel says, Rogan is God, he is the biggest shill of them all, to me he is the bigger problem in the sport, the Rogan fanbase is massive and whatever he says goes.

10. McGregor’s Anal Gouging Administrator

McGregor’s Anal Gouging Administrator Live.Love.Learn Site Donor

This is quite the appreciation thread.

Poindexter likes this.
  11. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

When was Ariel fired?
    He had press credentials revoked for like a week for breaking some news on Lesnar before UFC could air their "surprise" advertisement.
    But let's be real here.......he got the job with MMA Fighting/AOL because of his positive relationship with UFC (at a time when many sites were not), then UFC set him up with the FOX job, and then the ESPN job. FOX wasn't going to renegotiate his contract, and ESPN was right around the corner. Might as well go ahead and get Ariel over there to start setting the table.

You say critical and I'm thinking ......a member of the legitimate press is critical by writing investigated, fact-based stories that support the criticism or interviewing those that have.
    You say critical and you actual are referring to.......Ariel's fanboy musings about topics that have no teeth or complaining about things everyone already knows or doesn't care about.

Where were the diatribes about keeping Rumble around? About the Jones situations? About Dana's rumored harassment of female employees/fighters? The union stories? The SEC investigation(s)? The timing issues around Brock's failed tests? There's dozens of damaging stories that had some teeth that were harmful to the UFC that not only did Ariel not address over the last 10 years, but he seemed to actively try to whitewash them.

Comparing Rogan and Ariel isn't apples and oranges. Rogan has no "professional responsibility" to be fair and balanced. Rogan has two jobs. Represent the UFC and its fights in an entertaining manner, and hype up fighters, storylines and events.

I will say that Ariel is closer to Rogan than an actual journalist though.

12. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko Champ-Champ

well if you watched the MMA Beat every week he would bring up a lot of the topics you mentioned above, maybe not the harassment of female employees most likely didn't want to get sued. I heard a rumor that white was fucking
    Angela Magana, but i couldn't report that as news.

He was fired from fox 2 1/2 years ago, He had his press credentials revoked for a couple of days a few months after he was fired, there was no other job waiting for him, he just continued on a mmafighting until he was hired a few months ago by ESPN.

AnchorPunch likes this.
  13. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

Why they gotta hijack this thread? There’s an unappreciation thread for that kinda business and what-not.

14. SandyWH

SandyWH CHAOS KREATOR

Link? I have more to unload

thumper likes this.
  15. AnchorPunch

AnchorPunch Well-Known Member Site Donor

We appreciate you, PD.

Now stop ruining our fun!

16. Qball1974

We, who the fuck is we?

speak for yourself.

17. Nebraska

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports Lee-Iaquinta 2:

11 minutes later, Ariel reports it himself citing “sources”:

One minute after that he says the MJS “just confirmed” his report:

18. Kano

Kano My New Challenge Site Donor

He's just trying to feed his family.

19. Nebraska

And he deleted the tweet that gave half credit to the original report. Class act.

Poindexter likes this.
  20. thumper

thumper Picogrammy Staff Member

Class? Ariel?