Are Palm Strikes allowed in MMA?

Discussion in 'MMA University' started by ATJ-Lucko, Jul 5, 2010.

1. ATJ-Lucko

ATJ-Lucko MMAtheist MMA Pick 'Ems World Champion Survival Pool Champion

Been wanting to know this for a long time, are palm Strikes allowed in MMA?
    I never seen them used and i would think they be perfect when doing some pound and ground.

2. William Munny

William Munny Well-Known Member

Beats me if it was legal or not, but I recall Werdum bitch slappin' AA.

3. Anal Prolapse

Anal Prolapse Cavs Creampied My Bostonhole

i would think they are not allowed...the angle in which those are delivered IMO would be perfect for putting someones nose through there brain....IDK for sure but if i had to guess i would say no.

4. ATJ-Lucko

IK that's something I have wanted to knows for years the UFC rules saying nothing about it.

5. Anal Prolapse

you should ask Bas

6. ILJO

ILJO Soggy Bottom Boy Site Donor

I think they are legal.

I don't see why they wouldn't be.

7. Bigshanks

Bigshanks You think you're hard man?

As far as I know they are legal but I believe they are discouraged. It seems like you run the risk of poking someone in the eye ala Kevin Burns vs Anthony Johnson. Burns was throwing palm strikes due to not being able to make a closed fist and we all know what happened after that.

8. Anal Prolapse

he got aids?

9. neo

neo Misses Karo

For all I know it is legal.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Could you not just do that with a punch from the same angle?

10. Anal Prolapse

yea i would guess...but something about that strike makes me think it is more apt to happen idk

11. thumper

thumper all around great guy Staff Member

this pretty much answers the question

[​IMG]

12. Notrightn0w

Notrightn0w Smells like a whorehouse

Everyone jumps to Werdum vs Arlovski, but Luiz Banha Cane's signature combination is a right handed bitch slap followed by a left hook. He's done it in almost every fight. The sokodjou one is most popular though.

[​IMG]

people also box the ears on the ground with their palms fairly often.

Also
    It's legal. They're just not used often because they're not really effective. Go back and watch Bas hit Frank Shamrock in the face with a ton of them. They do very little damage because the impact is spread across the entire palm of the hand.

13. Bigshanks

Bigshanks You think you're hard man?

No lol he didnt get aids. AJ got a finger stuck two knuckles deep in his eye socket but Im sure you remember that.

14. ATJ-Lucko

That was a bitch slap

15. Anal Prolapse

palm heel strike is used with the fatty portion of ur hand and bottom of ur thumb area....i think u are mistaking it with a slap...

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CRNxB6PFeak&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CRNxB6PFeak&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. Scrog

Scrog Member

a slap like in AA fight is legal im sure.

i dont know about a true palm strike though. when you punch with a closed fist, your wrist has some flex / give to is. same with the slap to AA or what cain does.

a true palmi strike would be like if you hold your arm straight out, point your knuckles to the ceiling, bend your elbow back and thrust your palm forward while twisting your hips. done properly you can generate alot of torque in a short distance. with your hand turned upwards you are now striking from an area that is a solid bone, instead of a fist that is connected to the bone at the wrist. its kinda of the same principle with elbows.

as far as is it legal?? not a clue, but ive never seen it, just a slap

17. Harlem Hustler

Harlem Hustler Dont argue, I'm always right!

It seems that urinating on your opponent is perfectly legal as it isnt listed under the fouls.