Any mechanics or car guys in here could use some help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Clark Kent, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

just bought this 2003 Mach 1 Mustang and it has this weird ass engine noise I’ve never heard before. I was told it was the timing chain but It doesn’t sound like it. But I’m brand new to modular 4v 4.6 engines.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

Maybe it's the Johnson Rod.

MBC likes this.
  3. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Probably your defibrillator fluid. I bet it has electrons in it, big problem with red cars I'd flush it and fill it with amino acids.

MBC and disposableassassin like this.
  4. GayForGayG

GayForGayG A disposableassassin Site Donor

I was about to type this exact thing but kev got here first. Yeah, that should totally have you covered.

Kevo likes this.
  5. MongoloidByChoke

MongoloidByChoke Well-Known Member

Well it most likely has to do with the gonkulator and romulater not firing off at the correct intervals. Just get a new piston pin and a flux capacitor. Let me know if that works. If not I may know what else it could be.

Kevo likes this.
  6. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

The troll strikes again.

Ninjastix and Kevo like this.
  7. MongoloidByChoke

Oh like you have any idea about this shit. Leave it to the car guys, get your ass back in the kitchen.

Kevo and Poindexter like this.
  8. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

Set it on fire in a safe manner.

disposableassassin and Kevo like this.
  9. MongoloidByChoke

It is nice to see how we come together as a community to help people in threads like this, I mean, amirite?

10. Spoon

Spoon There is no Spoon

Weird. Sounds like an intermittent rod knock noise, but in the top end. Is the sound coming from the left/driver's side head only? This is going to be potentially very dangerous, but... If you can get a long screw driver, while the car is running, put it against different areas of the engine, and then put your ear against the handle of the screw driver, it'll works like a stethoscope.

Doing it to the heads should be easy/safe, and try to see if you can pinpoint the sound based on each cylinder, following the spark plugs as reference. This should rule out (or in) lifters or rocker arms. If it's mostly to the front, on the valve cover, then it could be a cam phaser. A poorly installed cam phaser could be an issue (stay away from Dorman brand ones.) Could possibly be loose spark plugs. Spark plugs on that engine (and the 5.4L) are a punishment from Satan him/herself. They are a 2-piece plug that likes to break. There are special tools to remove them once they break, because it's such a likely occurrence. Buy a torque wrench when you need to change them. Too low of a torque they will loosen and cause issues, too high of a torque and they will stick in the threads and you'll teach yourself new swear words.

Doing it to the front of the engine the other hand means you have to deal with the moving belts. Not trying to be a dick or talk to you like an idiot, I just know people who have lost parts of their fingers from messing with moving belts. Try to find the areas away from the belts and listen for noise, especially when you're putting your head against shit. This could pinpoint you to a bad timing chain guide, and likely chain tensioner.

Personally, I'd try to hunt down the place of the noise, and then start removing valve covers and the timing cover, and looking for obvious wear. Draining the oil and looking for tiny flakes (whether they are magnetic or not.)

chrisc and Ninjastix like this.
  11. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Fucking wrong

Check your defibrillator fluid.

disposableassassin and MBC like this.
  12. MongoloidByChoke

These people don’t get it man

disposableassassin likes this.
  13. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Never been so embarrassed to post here. Hope you get it figured out Clark. Way to be adults gentlemen.

Poindexter and MBC like this.
  14. MongoloidByChoke

It takes a village, it takes a village my friend.

Ninjastix likes this.
  15. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

This village is full of AIDs and Ebola and women without clitorises.

MBC likes this.
  16. MongoloidByChoke

Well if it’s gonna be that kinda party im gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

17. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Never?

18. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

To be fair, I don’t know shit about repairing cars......but it is a Ford. So again, set it on fire, in a safe manner so no one gets hurt.

19. chrisc

chrisc Ninja

You people are assholes

20. SickNasty

SickNasty Now that's a tasty burger.

Shit man wish i could help.

Car sounds mean tho.

I felt like the muthafickin man after I changed the windshield washer pump all by myself so I'm kinda fucking useless.

Kevo likes this.