1. Nothing any good isn’t hard. Discuss: "UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims begin at 6:30 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Luck, bad if not good, will always be with us. The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC Fight Night 121: Werdum vs. Tybura.
Dismiss Notice
Pick a peck of pickled pick 'ems: UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura

Andre Ward says he's 'leaving' boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing & Grappling' started by Kevo, Sep 21, 2017.

1. KevoIsAPoopyHead

KevoIsAPoopyHead SMOKE BOMB!

Pound-for-pound king and unified light heavyweight world titleholder Andre Ward said in a statement on his website that he is "leaving" boxing.

"I want to be clear -- I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there," the statement said. "If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting."

On Thursday, Ward told First Take more of the thought process behind his decision to retire.

"I want to be clear -- I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there," Andre Ward said in a statement. John Locher/AP
    "People see what I do fight night. They see under the lights, but they don't see the toil, they don't see the grind, they don't see just the pain, the physical pain that you go through, not just in the fights, but to prepare and to get ready for those battles.

"I felt the physicality of the sport, not just in the ring stuff, but the training and the preparation, start to take its toll on me for the last two or three years, and I bit down and continued to push through, and at this point, it's time, and I know it's time."

Last month, Ward told ringside media that his television contract with HBO is up.

He added that, contrary to industry chatter, he remains under contract with promoter Roc Nation Sports, even though rumors have swirled that he was gearing up for a jump to Top Rank.

Ward (32-0, 16 KOs), 33, of Oakland, California, has been with HBO since he knocked out Chad Dawson in 2012, though Ward has had two long layoffs since because of promotional issues.

Ward has fought six of his past seven fights for HBO, including both of his pay-per-view fights with Sergey Kovalev -- a controversial unanimous decision win in November to take Kovalev's three 175-pound world title belts, followed by an eighth-round knockout victory in the rematch on June 17.

HBO Sports released a statement.

"Andre Ward ends his boxing career as he only knew how to live it -- as a champion at the top," says Peter Nelson, Executive Vice President, HBO Sports. "To watch Ward was to marvel at constant mastery of craft in the ring, to say nothing of his being the consummate role model outside it. The Hall of Fame will be lucky to have him.

"We wish Andre and his family much success and happiness as he explores new opportunities, including with our own HBO family as one of the expert analysts on our broadcast team.

"It was a privilege for HBO to serve as the television platform for many of his landmark achievements in the sport he loves."

2. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

If he got out with his brain intact then get while the getting is good.

Dimson likes this.
  3. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

It's funny to me that Kovalev is trying to garner attention by saying it's because of him even after Ward TKO'd him.

Ward was the man, is the man, and will be missed in boxing.

4. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Big loss for the sport to lose a talent like this in his prime. Good for him going on top and on his own terms, but I was excited to see what he could do in terms of becoming a superstar in a post-Mayweather world. He'll go down as one of the most underrated fighters of all-time.

Crawford or Lomachenko the new P4P #1?

5. TriangleSmoke

TriangleSmoke Motherfucker of the Century Site Donor

Good for Ward. He's made millions along the way and can now relax and enjoy time with his family.

I'll certainly miss watching him fight though. Dude is great and one of my all time favorites among the likes of RJJ and Mosley.

Afro likes this.
  6. kanobro

kanobro My New Challenge Site Donor

both looked great in their last fights.

you aren't biased for the Nebraskan?

7. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Not really, because I don't need to be at this point. Crawford is clearly top two at worst, and his body of work gives him the top spot with Ward retired. Bias doesn't have to be part of the equation, because he's currently one of the elite tactitians in the sport.

kanobro likes this.
  8. Noise

Noise Ruido

He'll be back.