5/11/08 - Alves will fight for welterweight title - at 200lbs

Discussion in 'General MMA Forum' started by Wolvish, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Wolvish

Wolvish New Member

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=1340

2. Mastershake

Mastershake There once was a man-----

Aint nothing wrong with weighing that much as long as he keeps making weight. He sure hasnt seemed to have a problem doing it so far. I think he will lose to either guy, but either fight would be great to watch.

3. Frag x 3

Frag x 3 everybody's friend

The only problem with that is that you can't weigh one pound over for a championship fight. Good luck with that, Thiago.

4. tick

tick is banned?

Didn't he miss weight against Hughe's? Wasn't he also using diuretics that are not aloud as well?

I'd say he has SOME problems making weight.

That last pound he needs to make, will he be able to take it off?

I sure hope so, he has more than enough time to properly drop weight.

5. Bigshanks

Bigshanks You think you're hard man?

That thread title is a tad confusing. Im like "how the fuck can he fight for the 170lb belt at 200lbs?". I certainly hope weight isnt an issue for him. Im expecting big things from this kid in the future. I dont know about his chances against either GSP or BJ but Ill be rooting for him.

War Thiago Pitbull Alves!!!!!

6. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

huh? Alves does have problems making weight

He took drugs to make weight for the DeSouza fight, and missed weight for the Hughes fight.. sounds like a problem to me.. but im still a huge Alves fan and if its not BJ Penn hes facing I hope he wins.

7. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

I'm predicting now that Alves misses weight for the title shot.

That is far too much weight to have to cut and be dead on with the weight. There is no extra pound in a title fight and if you couple that with what will likely be a 7-8 month minimum layoff and I see Thiago missing weight.

8. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Anyone actually read the article? it doesnt say hes 200 lbs now it says hes 200 lbs when he fights.. thats after the weigh-ins

9. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

To balloon back to 200 pounds within 24 hours of the weigh ins, it means he's cutting most of that weight, not walking around at 185 or so.

The only way you're going to put that kind of weight back on in 24 hours, is by putting the moisture back in your body. So he's cutting 20+ pounds, maybe more, the days leading up to the fight and it's very dangerous, especially when you aren't spotted a pound. I'm just saying it's a risk, especially when there's a history of having trouble.

10. Severn

Severn Master of the Iron Claw

He missed wieght against Hughes due to an injury. While he obviously does have to work at making weight he did have a valid excuse that time. He contacted the UFC first and things were squared away. He'll be fine when it comes time to fight for the title. Serra ballooned up to 200 pounds and he managed to do get down to 170 just fine.

11. Gmunit

Gmunit Slightly Used

he should still fight Diego first IMO, a 2 week notice Kos isn't the same as a full training camp Diego, Thiago has made some waves in the division, but I still don't thik beating a replacement makes you worthy of a shot

btw, BJ will sub him, GSP would be the best fight

12. BigBanda

BigBanda You Do Not Even Realize!

Hold on.... where does "if GSP beats Penn" fit into this equation?? I thought they were going to grant him a shot at Anderson Silva if he beats Penn?? So is that now on the backburner again and the winner is facing Alves?

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Well-Known Member

I hate to pull this card but what has Diego done to warrant a shot at Alves.

Beating Kos was better because he was ranked higher then Diego and Kos was a more dangerous fight even on short notice.

Yet i am sure you would probably give the title shot to Diego if he were to beat Alves.

Alves has won how many in a row 6 or 7. Beaten 3 top 10 fighters in a row.

Yes Alves deserves the title shot, he doesn't have to prove it any more that shot is his.

When it comes to title shots at WW Alves is all by himself. He is the only one with those kind of wins.

Diego has 2 wins but thats after coming off 2 back to back losses, not to mention those wins were against very unranked ww's.

14. strife

strife I

Losing to Fitch isn't a big deal, and it was a close loss anyways (which some people think he won, myself not included but still). His loss to Kos we all know about, he was sick as hell from staph...but a loss is a loss . It doesn't matter if his wins were against unranked WW's, they were impressive regardless. Please keep in mind Thiago missed weight against Hughes, and despite it being years ago...has several horrible losses of his own...much worse than Diego's. I'd say he's worked on his TDD a lot, gotten crisper striking, but his ground game is still suspect.

What was said before is true, Diego is a more dangerous fighter than Kos, especially when you compare a 2 week training camp Kos to a full training camp Diego. There's really no reason he shouldn't fight Diego honestly. He has deserved the shot for sure, but the fight was supposed to take place and it didn't.

15. Severn

Severn Master of the Iron Claw

Apparently he did enough because he was given a shot at Alves before. Why would that change now? It's not like Alves is champ and there's a pecking order for his belt. Kos just lost and he could lose another match against Yoshida in December. There is no one else. I respect Thiago's decision to wait since he's had a busy year and he doesn't want to pull a Karo/Werdum and blow it. I still think a match with Diego will happen at some point.

In the meantime I'd like to see Diego fight the winner or Kos/Yoshida.

16. Gmunit

Gmunit Slightly Used

i just REALLY wanted to see that fight, and if Alves gets the belt he will probably never fight Diego

its not that Alves hasn't earned his shot, but that IMO Diego was gonna knock him off track (and Kos too if he'd had ample time to prepare, again IMO was more than apparent come round 3), also i strongly disagree that Kos is more dangerous on short notice than Diego

GSP vs BJ isn't until Jan 31, theres plenty of time to set a fight up for Thiago, but like you said they're w/o a contender right now, so they probably don't want to do it, hence giving him the option and who'd give up a title shot to 'move backwards' and fight one you've already 'won'?

p.s. I wouldn't give Diego a title shot if he beat Alves, unless it was something crazy spectacular

i guess the short answer would've been 'had it scheduled and trained for that fight for 6 weeks'

17. Frag x 3

Frag x 3 everybody's friend

Why does the headline say "5/11/08?"

18. Gmunit

Gmunit Slightly Used

its just the date in the title Nov 5/08

19. scottsec

scottsec NOLA

I actually think Alves beats GSP but not Penn...my reason?....just because..

20. Lilp

Lilp Returning Video Tapes

Wow, I honestly cant beleive how many people think Alves should still have to fight Diego before getting s shot at the belt. So you guys are tellin me someone whos last 3 wins on a 7 fight win streak are against guys who were top 5 when he beat them should have to fight someone who's 2-2 in there last 4 fights and has only beaten 1 top 10 guy ever before he gets a title shot. You guys need to get real, the fact is Alves should be fighting next for the Belt instead of BJ.