2018 NFL Football Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PatsWillPoundMyProlapsedChin, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Kevo

Kevo SMOKE BOMB!

Thats Wednesday

Trodden, Dimson, Palma and 1 other person like this.
  2. FrankieButNotEdgar

FrankieButNotEdgar Well-Known Member Site Donor

ESPN is reporting that New England was prepared to bundle draft picks to trade up to number 2 to take Baker Mayfield had the Browns not drafted him.

Macgyver likes this.
  3. Macgyver

Macgyver Active Member

Pretty sure it was Mayfield's Agent that said this on Andrew Brandt's podcast. Not sure how much water that holds....especially what I read said he claimed the Patriots "considered" trading up. Most people consider a lot of things that realistically would never come to fruition.

This just sounds like the pure speculation you get leading up to the draft. (Granted I did not listen to the podcast).

4. FrankieButNotEdgar

It makes sense because it would have stuck it to the Jets who wanted Mayfield. Imagine if the Browns had taken anyone else and Mayfield was available. The Jets wanted him and he was right there, then out of no where, with only one pick to go, the Pats jump in front of the Jets and take their QB. That would be classic.

Still can't believe Mayfield went number one overall.

Beardown98 likes this.
  5. Macgyver

Macgyver Active Member

I hear you. I hope he does well though. Not because I wish him success (he seems a little douchy, but we only see how the media portrays certain people so he may not be), but because I would like to see the Browns have some sort of success.

6. FrankieButNotEdgar

I agree. I was hoping they would take Saquon Barkley and then someone else at QB at number 4 but I hate seeing them fail, year in and year out so I hope he does well.

7. Beardown98

Beardown98 Well-Known Member

I was not shocked Mayfield went number 1 it was a Browns move thru and thru. I am probably wrong but I just don’t see Mayfield having a very high ceiling at best he has a long career as a serviceable starter. I don’t think he will ever be elite or even top ten I figure he would eventually rank somewhere between 10 and 20 of the leagues starting QBs. Who’s to say that’s a bad thing either they would have gotten there starting QB for a decade and with the right pieces around him they could be very successful. I just don’t see that kind of player being worthy of the #1 overall pick.

Then the Browns pass in Chubb for Denzel Ward, I heard what Greg Williams said about why they went with the best cb in the draft. Williams said he had tape of 28 plays where Myles Garrett was a step away from a sack they just couldn’t cover anyone long enough to allow the pass rush to hit home.

I hope the Browns are right and Mayfields college production and accuracy translates to being elite in the pros and Denzel Ward can be a lock down corner they need, they are my second fav team behind the Bears. I want them to succeed and get out of the cellar of their division they just keep finding ways of failing in some of the worst ways possible.

8. Dimson

Dimson Your tears don't fall...

I think Mayfield at worst will be solid and at best will be Breese 2.0. He won't be a bust. Personally, I would have drafted Rosen first over all.

Nebraska and Beardown98 like this.
  9. Beardown98

I thought Rosen was the best of the bunch as well. He has a very high ceiling as well as high floor. I would of taken him number one overall as well. I also had Darnold above Mayfield time will tell.

10. Dimson

For me it goes Rosen, Mayfield, and then Darnold.

Beardown98 likes this.
  11. Poindexter

Poindexter Reputation: ∞ Staff Member

How are the Football Giants looking?

12. FrankieButNotEdgar

The Barkley pickup is great. I like the pick. But the Giants need a long term answer at QB. Barkley should keep them competitive though so just hope Eli has something left.

Poindexter likes this.
  13. Poindexter

Let's do this!

14. Dimson

I like Lauletta. I was hoping my Jags could pick him up to push Bortles.

15. Beardown98

I’m not a fan of Lauletta if anything he might push Webb for the back up role early. I don’t think his arm strength is nfl caliber, especially when playing in bad weather where he really needs to drive the ball. He was over valued due to the position he plays. He’s smart and reads defenses quickly though and that could help overcome his physical limitations (similar to a Chad Pennington). I heard Kiper say a guys arm get stronger in the pros and I’m not sure how true that is, maybe they but its a nominal improvement, but a Danny Wuerfel arm going to stay a Danny Wuerfel arm and Drew Bledsoe stays a Drew Bledsoe.

Barkley was a good pickup as he should take a lot of pressure off of Eli with his ability to attack the defense via hand off, catching out of the back field or moving up to the line like a wide out to spread the defense. Those will all be huge boosts for that offense and opens targets for other players as well. The thing he will need to improve upon is his ability to stay upright when he get hits by a would be tackler. In college he was sensational at avoiding hits and making would be tacklers look silly with his agility, speed and burst after a cut. We will have to see if he can keep that up against a higher level of competition.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Dimson likes this.
  16. FrankieButNotEdgar

17. Poindexter

Excellent.

Beardown98 likes this.
  18. Afro

Afro The Autumn Wind is a Raider

Raiders signing Derrick Johnson

I want to hope and believe that this does not rule out Navaro Bowman but more than likely it does, in a dream world it would be nice to use Derrick Johnson the same way the Raiders did Bill Romo back in 2002 and have Bowman in the middle but I can't imagine being able to afford both now.

Derrick Johnson is a perfectly fine stopgap though at 35 but doesn't fill a need long term.

19. Nebraska

Nebraska Poindexter For President NFL S.P. Champion Site Donor

Like an overheated pile of dung, as usual.

Kevo likes this.
  20. Poindexter

That ain't right.

Dimson likes this.