1. The raw hunk of meat that used to be my enemy makes a sound, and I know where the mouth is. And I think the word he's trying to say is 'please'. Pity, not vengeance sends my fist flying into his skull. "UFC 227: Dillashaw vs Garbrandt II" Live Discussion *Spoilers*. Prelims start at 6:15 p.m. ET on Fight Pass.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
The books are open. Get your bets in now for UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt II.

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Mastershake, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Mastershake

Mastershake There once was a man-----

Ok, I am going to start by saying I am 50/50 on the subject here. I have been watching alot of shows this week on the tube. I have been doing research and was wondering what your guys thoughts were. Now there is even a movie I found looks like it would be pretty cool in the brief trailor they show.

This is a link to the trailor. Link:http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/2012/

Here are other pages that have interesting perspectives on the subject.

Link:http://www.greatdreams.com/2012.htm

Link:http://www.2012predictions.net/

So what are your guys thougths and do you have any other information I have not presented.

2. Quintessential Studmuffin

Quintessential Studmuffin DOESN'T WANT BJS BELT

My thoughts:

Some shits going to go down, and it's probably not going to be very good for us.

3. Mastershake

So your a believer that in 2012 that there is going to be a near world ending disaster or series of disasters.

Do you think it will be cosmic oriented or man oriented disasters. Or, a nice smooth combination of them both?

4. Quintessential Studmuffin

Quintessential Studmuffin DOESN'T WANT BJS BELT

I'm thinkin' cosmic at the moment, but with the way we're living right now a man oriented disaster wouldn't suprise me one bit. We already got a disaster financially, wars all over the place, and some nice global warming!

5. Mastershake

See I think it is going to be the combination. I think that the wars and humans in general are going to make it so when the cosmic disaster happens there isnt going to be anything we will do to counter act it. Global warming I know we sped up the process but that is a natural occurence.

One of the other theories that gets my attention is the thought of the poles flipping and trading spots. I really do not know how probable that one is though.

6. jesusatemyhotdog

jesusatemyhotdog Welcome to the machine.

There is no viable cosmological evidence that suggests any disaster is going to happen. This shit about being in the horizontal plane of the Milky Way for the first time in 33 million years is true. However there is no solid evidence by reputable science that says this will cause any type of disaster.

So, the only possibility is a man made disaster. In which case, it is mere coincidence.

Primitive civilizations are about 0 for 1000000 when it comes to doomsday prophecies.

7. Harlem Hustler

Harlem Hustler Dont argue, I'm always right!

I don't even worry about the shit. I just read and watch as much info as I can because it's like a Sci Fi movie, but with absolutely no credible evidence, I'll just wait to see what happens.

8. Mastershake

See that is what I am telling my wife about the whole thing alot of the predictions from older civilizations are how each individual is interpreting it. I mean if your looking for it to say armagedon it probably will. So yeah I agree completely.

Thats why i like to learn about it to it just is interesting to myself. The whole concept is very interesting to me though.

Now does anyone have any scientific information to counter these claims.

9. Bullock

Bullock Banned

Yeah people have been predicting the end of the world forever. I think it just goes to show you the level of ego people have. We think that we are so special that WE are the ones who are going to witness the end of the world.

10. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

yeah you can pretty much end the thread after this... you can only draw lines of correlation after the fact, not before...

Natural disasters, weather phenomenon, and interstellar events are predictable in the sense that it's reasonable to assume they will occur sometime in the future on an extremely large scale.

Thinking that specific dates tie into these events and occurrences is absolutely ridiculous. Dates are the same as any other measurement, they're assumed and defined by humans, they don't exist independent of those distinctions... so yes there is such a thing as "time" without humans, but any measure of it (time) is relative not innate... so even if there were to be some sort of cataclysm in 2012, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to prove it was predicted since there's absolutely no specifics associated with what will happen or precisely when...

We, as a species, have an obsession with creation and destruction, they permeate our religions and our myths... they're attractive and they help define a given people of its origins along with setting down purpose for moving forward in day to day life...

That's all well and good but it's much more imaginative than scientific.

11. bradlabo

bradlabo In Half Guard I Trust

"When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

[​IMG]

12. scottsec

scottsec NOLA

2012 is gonna come and go just like every other year..

13. strife

strife I

I can't wait for 2013, so all of this stupid bullshit drama will end.

14. Ninjastix

Ninjastix Damn Gina Site Donor

Oh, it won't end... it'll keep perpetrating... I believe there's a 2023 or 32 date that's suppose to have additional significance should 2012 not work out...

I'm too lazy to verify this though, I believe it has to do with a near pass of an asteroid.

15. jesusatemyhotdog

16. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

No its not.

Using the scientific definition of your words, you are just off by a bit. According to this Nature paper, we last passed through the plane 3 million years ago or so. Thus we wouldnt be expected to pass through the plane again for TENS OF MILLIONS of years more, so 2012 is certainly out:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v316/n6030/abs/316706a0.html

No particularily unusual event is happening with respect to our location and the galaxy in 2012 as far as I know. Although I'm sure that somebody with enough time could come up with something silly that is happening astronomically that year and can play pretend about how it will effect us even though the science says otherwise.

Its not entirely clear what various groups mean about being aligned with various astronomical objects (since they freely use many different types of definitions and often times their "alignments" are astrological alignments which dont make any physical sense). But here is an article which addresses at least one common notion (using some stupid astrological definitions) and shows that what is going on in 2012 is in no way unique:

http://www.earthsky.org/faq/will-earth-pass-through-galactic-plane-in-2012

17. jesusatemyhotdog

Either way, I don't give a fuck. Dec. 31, 2011 I will be drunk as fuck as usual.

18. Krazikarl

Krazikarl Cthulhu fhtagn

In general you cant disprove things that are made up about the future until they actually happen. I can predict that you are going to die tomorrow, but you cant disprove that stupid prediction until the day actually passes.

What you can show is that there is no known physical event happening at that time that could possibly have any effect on us. You essentially show that there is no rational basis for any of these predictions - but thats already self evident - if you just put a little thought into what these clowns are saying, you see that their shit falls apart real fast.

The simple argument that people have already made that these silly doomsday predictions are batting exactly .000 so far is really all the argument you need.

In any case, the only interesting things that will be happening on that date in 2012 is that I image there will be some fun parties and you can probably hook up pretty easily with gullible cute girls who believe that the world will end. I'm looking forward to that day - should be a fun day all around.

19. jhell

jhell Right about 4 out of 10

You're exactly right. It'll be the same bullshit with a different date attached to it. If these things were as dramatic as people make them, then we would have never got past Y2K lol

20. scottsec

scottsec NOLA

question.... how the fuck does anyone know where our planets were millions of years ago???